Author Topic: Harlan Teklad food: where to buy and what kind?  (Read 529 times)

Offline Meatball

Harlan Teklad food: where to buy and what kind?
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »
I have been feeding my kids Kaytee food (I know it's bad, that's why I'm switching it). How do you figure out what kind to feed them? 2018? 2016? 2014? So many numbers. I have 4 girls (spayed) that are about a year old, and 2 males that are about 8 months (one neutered and one unneutered). What website do you guys get this food? Thanks for the help!

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
Re: Harlan Teklad food: where to buy and what kind?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »
I know of a couple of different rescues that sell HT right now.  MRR just started selling it http://mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/?p=187 on their website and Oldsgal of CCRR is selling some right now I think, I believe she has a thread going in the Pack Rat Swap Meet forum.  As to what kind--I have no idea, thats what i'm trying to decide for myself!  But I think most people recommend the 2014 for the average adult rat.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
2018 - higher protein for babies/preggos; 2014 - lower protein.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
You can also order through Wee Companions. You can contact Fenella at weecompanions@aol.com. I rotate between 2016 and 2014, personally, and all the rats in our house are over 6 months old.
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline Aberwak

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
Hi, I'm a future rat owner- trying to figure things out still and get things set up before I get rats in about a month.   I've seen this food for sale at a few places, and it seems to be very highly regarded for lab blocks.  I'll probably end up starting on this just for those reasons.  I do have a few questions, though:  How long would a 5 lb. bag last compared with a 25 lb. bag for 2-3 rats (I'm not sure how many I'll end up getting yet)?  If I decided to buy it in the bulk 25 lbs, would the food spoil or get stale after a length of time?

Offline Meatball

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »
 :thumbsup2: Good job for researching before you get ratties! I usually freeze a bag of rat blocks if I don't use it right away. I have only bought the 5 pound bags. I am trying to find larger amounts. I'm not sure how long they can last in the freezer. How much your rats eat depend on how many you get, and it you only feed them lab blocks or if you feed them other stuff also. I think it depends on the rat also. I never really keep track of how much food I go through. Maybe you should just buy a small bag of the food you are thinking of using just to make sure your ratties like it. Then if they do, you can figure out how much they go through and how fast. Good luck! Getting new rats is so fun! Keep us posted on what you get! :)

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
You can freeze it if you want to buy in bulk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it can be frozen up to a year?

I don't really track how much I go through....I think I was told plan on 1lb per rat per month???

I'm wondering which formula to go with now...I'm thinking the 2014 since they get some healthy table scraps and I give 1/2 cup suebees every 2-3 days. Or maybe I'll get some of both 2014 & 2016 and mix it together?