Author Topic: Skin ripped off my Rosie's tail.  (Read 753 times)

Offline DamnYankee

Skin ripped off my Rosie's tail.
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
Not quite sure how it happened but the skin on the last two inches of her tail has been ripped off. It bled some at first but it has mostly stopped. It does not seem to really bother her until she rubs it on something or tries to clean it. She has been cleaning it anyway. If it is not bleeding should I just leave it be and keep an eye on her?
Here is a pic of the wound.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
Re: Skin ripped off my Rosie's tail.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline DamnYankee

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
There are no vets open near me on Sunday. I will have to wait until tomorrow to take her in. In the mean time I will line her cage with a towel and try to put a little Neosporin on her tail.

Offline Vixsyn

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »
This happened to my rat when she was little. she'll keep it cleaned and you can help her when its not so tender. just put a little bit of peroxide to clean it and she'll eventually chew it off and it'll heal up just fine don't worry :)
2 rats; Nibbles and Puddin Pop
1 cat; Jesse

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »
Ummm... I wouldn't just wait for her to chew it off... that is a very large wound.

There is such a potential for infection between now and tomorrow. Is there any way to get her to an e-vet? Infection isn't the only worry, as degloving is very painful and she needs meds. Just because she does not seem to be in pain, doesn't mean that she isn't. Degloving isn't something to take lightly. :-\
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:26:09 PM by Schrute »

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
^^^^^I agree.  Lots of room for infection there and it would be tragic if it did get infected and she was to lose her tail or worse.

Offline DamnYankee

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »
I just spoke to my local (35 miles away) e-vet. They do not feel comfortable doing the procedure because they do not specialize in rodent care. She said they "would" do it but she also said it would be best to take her to my regular vet.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
You are lucky to have an e-vet so close, by the way. Do what you can to prevent infection until tomorrow when your vet opens.

Offline DamnYankee

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
Would it be advisable to give her a little childrens Tylenol for  pain? If so, how much? She has been letting me clean it with some saline and gauze. Hopefully this will be enough to ward off infection. Is Neosporin ok to apply? What if she ingests the Neosporin? Aaaarrrrgggg!

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
Oh My!  I would be afraid to medicate with childrens medications.  I am more of a cat person and new to rats. It would be hard to calculate dosage and tylenol is hard on the kidneys.  Aspirin is toxic to cats.  Other rat people here know better than I. Be careful. (I know you will be.)

Offline Meatball

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
I rescued a young rat that had the same thing. I worked at a vet clinic at that time, but I had to wait until the next day to get him started on metacam & antibiotics. I decided to have the vet do surgery on his tail (because it barely cost me anything and it would heal faster). She cut the bone back a little bit and trimmed the skin until there was healthy skin. Then she put a couple stitches in the end. I really didn't think the stitches would stay because ratties don't leave stitches alone. It got a scab on the end in a little bit and eventually the stitches and scab fell off. Now he has a little stubby tail. He doesn't like his tail touched now. I'm not sure if it's because of what happened (he's kinda wild). I did talk to a rat vet at another vet clinic and she said that it will eventually just fall off and heal but to make sure he's on antibiotics. I believe neosporin is ok to put on his tail, just don't gob it on. My rat kept chewing the bone shorter and shorter until he had the surgery, but I know surgery is expensive. Good luck!!