Author Topic: Making a Ferret Cage Suitable for Younguns  (Read 1641 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Making a Ferret Cage Suitable for Younguns
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
I have a Superpet Multi-Level Ferret Cage. This One:http://www.petco.com/product/15487/Super-Pet-Multi-Floor-Ferret-Home.aspx?&cm_ven=NexTag&cm_cat=Small%20Animal&cm_pla=Super%20Pet&cm_ite=361119 without the stand. The bar spacing is 1 inch. That's fine for Lacey because she's fat, but for my 3 babies it's completely unsuitable. I have them in a small blue-ribbon wire cage, but it's really too small. Is there any (Super Cheap) way to convert the ferret cage I already have so that I can put the babies in? I'm also on a VERY small budget because I'm in between jobs right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: Making a Ferret Cage Suitable for Younguns
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
There was a thread that I saw a very long time ago where someone had modified that cage. Here's directions on how to modify the FN, and you can apply it to your cage if you wish to do so:
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4021985.0

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
Yeah the only way to make it suitable for babies is to cover it in hardware cloth. Here is a link to a pic of one that was covered
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4046277.0

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
Hmm...That looks good, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a new CN.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
Short answer: Yes, IMO.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:38:43 PM »
Hmm...That looks good, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting a new CN.

Yes if you can afford it  :)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »
Yes definitely. Hardware cloth is a pain to put on, and you can't see your babies or pet them through the cage. Hanging hammocks is also extremely difficult. If you only have 4 i would get a 1 level CN, but if you plan on having more then a 2 level. I  :heart: my CN.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
I have only 4 and I'm definitely not getting more. Unfortunately, there's also a chance the babies will get sick and die prematurely since they are from pet-store parents, and one gave birth REALLY young. >.< But God-willing, they'll all live to a ripe old age. Ugh...Now I just have to save up.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »
Most rats are ultimately from pet store parents. The majority of rescues are from pet store parents, and even most breeders out there (not the real, good, reputable breeders of course, but most "breeders", aka, BYB's) take two pet store animals and breed them, or take two animals that are a product of pet store animals and breed them. If you take good care of them, barring any pre existing genetic problems, you should be okay... don't assume that just because the babies are a product of pet store rats that they will likely die prematurely.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
Okay, good. I'd just read so many posts about people who had babies of pet store parents that got sick, and honestly I don't want to go through the heartbreak. I'm glad to hear that many rats that are bred from pet-store parents lead long and happy lives. I just hope that my baby that had a litter has a healthy life.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »
OH! I just saw this and wanted to add something... I see that you had inquired on the Rat Swap Meet section about a SP exotics cage, but I wanted to let you know that according to the cage calculator, this can only hold three rats giving each rat 2.5 cubic feet. Seeing as you have four, this is not a cage that you would want to invest in.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
Both my first rats were from a pet store (probably a feeder bin). My parents got them for me when i was 8, mario and luigi. I didn't know anything about rats then and neither did my parents. They lived in a 20gal tank on pine and ate seed mixes. You would think with all those circumstances that they would have died young, but both lived to be almost 3. So just b/c they are from a pet store doesn't mean they are gonna die young.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »
yes, but it's 40 dollars and It's bigger than what they're in now.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
While upgrading is good, you want to make sure to upgrade to something to where you won't have to upgrade again... so if you get a cage that does not fit all of your rats this time around, you'll just have to upgrade again when you have the additional money to get a cage that does fit all of your rats. :)

So I saw you're taking the cage. I'm not trying to be pushy at all, but I'm curious why you're downgrading to a smaller cage (not than the one you currently are using, but than the SP Multi-Floor one). Is it just the bar spacing issue? I know that it would be a pain to modify, but at the same time, it just really seems that your four rats will be crammed in that cage. :-\ Well, at any rate, best of luck with your new cage.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:34:38 PM by Schrute »

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 02:33:08 AM »
If you really think they'll be too cramped, I can get the CN. I really just want what's easier for me and what's best for them. It's easier for me to have the smaller bar spacing, because my biggest rat, Lacey, bites ANYTHING that goes to close to the cage, including fingers, clothing, knuckles. With the smaller bars she won't be able to. That's the real reason. The Critter Nation is more expensive, but if you honestly think it's a bigger/better fit, Please be honest.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:43 AM »
I've decided to just get a CN I got 150 dollars of Christmas money, and the cage is about that. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to call PetSmart tomorrow to find out if they have it in stock. If not, I'll order from allpetfurniture.com