Author Topic: Litter Training  (Read 1330 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Litter Training
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
Okay, I'm just about to pull my hair out. My rats pee and poop EVERYWHERE and it makes cleaning the cage difficult because I have to scrub each shelf individually. Does anyone have an tips of litter training both adult and baby rats? Any help is appreciated.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: Litter Training
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
Likely your rats will still pee everywhere, but as far as poo, you can put the litter box where your rats poo the most and when you notice that they poo outside of the box, just put the droppings in to the litter box. Also make sure to use a different type of litter in the box than you do in the cage.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »
Thanks so much for that idea. I'm trying to switch to a CN single level, and was thinking of using something else for the bottom, as the cage doesn't easily hold bedding. What would you recommend?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »
I actually use fleece to cover my CN/FN pans and shelves.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
I use fleece to cover the pans and the shelves in both the CN and FN, as do most.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:45 AM »
Do you have to do a wash often?

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »
I use fleece in my FN, and I change it out about twice a week, sometimes more if they're particularly stinky that week.  I've left it as long as a week before (due to vacation and not wanting my pet-sitter to have to clean cages!) and while it was somewhat stinky when we got home, it wasn't horrible.

ETA:  I'm working on getting my boys litter-trained.  I use fleece in the cage, and Yesterday's News in the litter boxes.  They're not litter trained yet, but they're slowly getting better.  I pick up the stray poopies a few times a day and put them in the litter boxes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:11:55 AM by beanjelly »

Offline RatTracks

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
I use fleece in my CN single unit also and I just got my three girls on friday. I haven't cleaned it yet but I pick up their raisens and put them in the corner tray. How often should I wash the fleece? Is it okay to put it in the machine? Also, how long will it probably take for them to start going in the litter tray and not all over the floor

I think that I'll take it out and wash it tonight though, it's starting to smell a lot
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:24:33 AM by RatTracks »

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
I find that fleece really sucks for your type of rats. i have the same type that hate going where they are suposed to. I tiled my FN with the sticky back tiles and it works awesome. I just vaccuum it off each day and baby wipe it. I have hammocks in there for them and it cuts down on the smell. i change my tiles whenever I see them starting to unstick. If you do it right, pee and water won't get underneath!
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
Hmmm...I might use non-adhesive shelf liner. I've used it for reptiles and love it. I'll have to try it out. What kind of tiles did you use?

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
I use fleece in my CN single unit also and I just got my three girls on friday. I haven't cleaned it yet but I pick up their raisens and put them in the corner tray. How often should I wash the fleece? Is it okay to put it in the machine? Also, how long will it probably take for them to start going in the litter tray and not all over the floor

I think that I'll take it out and wash it tonight though, it's starting to smell a lot

The fleece is ok to put in the machine--throw some vinegar in there during the rinse cycle and it should help with any remaining odors.

Offline turtlescales

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
I didn't start this thread, but just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the info....  I plan on starting my potty training adventures shortly after I move, as I am sick of dealing with care fresh and stuff like that.  I plan on using fleece throughout both cages (gonna cut up some old blankets at first)  I will have a washer/dryer in my new apartment so it shouldn't be too bad.