Author Topic: Polyphorin?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Polyphorin?
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
My rat, Lacey, was a "rescue" I got her from a girl who couldn't keep her anymore. She's supposedly a little over a year. Her original owner got her a PetSmart. She has a lot of polyphorin around her eyes when she wakes up, and sometimes she doesn't clean it up. Only once have I seen it on her close, but she promptly cleaned it. What could this be?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
Re: Polyphorin?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »
Actually, it's called poriphyn.   :wink5:

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
Wow...LOL the girl who gave her to me called it "polyphorin"
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Its poryphyrin  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
Ok I know I'm going to look like an idiot if I spell this wrong too, but...

it's actually PORPHYRIN
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
Porphyrin is the correct answer, and here's all the information about it: http://www.ratbehavior.org/porphyrin.htm (porphyrin glows under UV light, just in case anyone isn't sure if their rat is bleeding or has excess porphyrin).

A lot of rats wake up with porphyrin around their eyes and nose, it's kinda like our 'sleep boogers' when we wake up, and this is perfectly normal. Sometimes older rats will have more porphyrin on their eyes throughout the day, however if she's still younger, and she seems to have too much around her eyes or nose all day long, it may indicate illness or stress. Do you have any photos?

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
Well, she's grooming herself right now, so I don't see any Porphyrin. (Sorry for the mixup). I usually notice it when I've woken her up to feed her or take her out. It does feel crusty. Like "eye boogies" I would say she's on the older side. When I got her in August, the owner said she was a little over a year. So... Maybe now she's almost 2?

Edit: I just read that article and that is certainly fascinating. It seems as though her Porphyrin secretion is normal.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:58:04 AM by DracheDame »

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
Here is a close-up of what Lacey's Porphyrin looked like at it's worst.