Author Topic: Socializing Baby Rats  (Read 635 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Socializing Baby Rats
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
I have 3 "baby" female rats. Two are from the same litter, and one is from a previous litter, but from the same parents. I have them in a small quarantine cage. They seem to be afraid of me. Whenever I open the cage, they run and hide, and they don't like to be picked up. My room is NOT rat-proof, and there's no way it ever could be. I want to be able to socialize them and get them to be friendly and loving and outgoing. What is the best way to do this? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Socializing Baby Rats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »
What might work is wearing a sweatshirt or another layer over your top. Both should not be great clothes as they are likely to get poohed and peed on. Spend 20 minutes (or longer) a day with each rat allowing her to be in between the layers so they get used to your scent. Feed yummy treats while they are in your sleeve so they feel safe...it may take some time. Good luck :)
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »
Thanks! That sounds really helpful. Another question: I'm going to get a CN pretty soon, and am going to put all 4 rats together. What's the best way to introduce an adult rat to the babies? This would really be my first time doing proper introductions.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
Honestly, intros scare me! I had a VERY successful one tonight, but it HAD to be a fluke.

If it were me though, I would get the girls to trust me before trying intros. Then if something scary happens, it's you they run to. Less chance of having to chase them all over creation if things go bad...
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.