Author Topic: Getting them out of the cage.  (Read 933 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Getting them out of the cage.
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
So, This is the cage that I have my babies in:

And this is the door.

What is the best way to get them out of the cage if they don't readily come to me? I can't fit two hands in the cage.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline GStar

Re: Getting them out of the cage.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »
I open the door and there is a step down from the cage to the ground and I let them come out on their own time.  When getting to know new rats I put the cage on the floor and sit next to the open door and let the rats go in and out and explore me.

Offline Shanna66

• Posts Too Much!
    • My myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:14:37 AM »
when i first got my boys they were pretty shy, i would put one hand in the cage and scrape my nails along the bars of the opened door with the other hand, they came to check out the noise and it got them used to me, now that noise means mommy wants to play.
but also just keeping your hand in the cage will help them get used to you and want to climb on you

Pets name: Aiden
Adopt your own!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »
Okay. I'll try that. I'm just worried that they'll bite me. I've been bitten far too many times by doing that, and I'm a little apprehensive. However, I do want them to trust me and come to me, and that seems like a good way to do it.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline looneycartoonie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »
I say the best way to a rats heart is through his stomach. I don't know if I'd force a rat out of the cage because it's just going to make them that much more wary of you the next time that you open the door. Sometimes it takes a little time to get them used to you and to let them know that you're not going to hurt them. I'd either try to leave the cage door open and see if they climb out that far to explore before I picked them up or I'd tempt them with some baby food. Just put some on your finger and let them lick it off. Start pulling your finger out of the cage door and soon you'll have them climbing out on their own.

BTW...love the little yellow ducky toy you have in there. I have it in my birds cage.  :)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:48 AM »
That's a great idea. I use peach baby food to feed my crested gecko. I can put a little on my finger and coerce them out. I don't reach in and just grab them. When I do reach in, the scatter into the corners or their little blue house LOL. But when they're out, they do let me pet them, and sniff me inquisitively. None of them have ever bit me, it's just a fear that I have.

Edit: I love the little ducky too. They don't play with it very much when I'm looking, But I hear them clanging around when I'm trying to sleep. LOL

Offline Shanna66

• Posts Too Much!
    • My myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
you could always try the baby food on the end of a spoon for the first few times thne use your finger if you are afraid of bites

Pets name: Aiden
Adopt your own!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
That sounds better. I'd be much more comfortable with that, and then once they start to get used to me, I'll feel more comfortable about the fingers.