Author Topic: More Socializing Questions  (Read 1063 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
More Socializing Questions
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
Okay, I admit it. I'm a n00b when it comes to rats.I thought I knew a lot, but I guess I don't. My rats don't seem to be motivated by treats. I have yogurt drops and these pretzel things. It was suggested that I use baby food on a spoon to get them to come to me. I have chicken baby food in the closet, and I'm going to get Peach baby food for my Crested Gecko. Which baby food would be better for the rats? Which would make them come to me more? I really want them to like me and trust me and come to me, but they're SO scared. I almost feel bad about taking them out of the cage because they hate it. I'm kind of at my wits end, and I feel kind of stupid that i can't get them to come to me. Any other suggestions?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Addicted2Rats

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The *original* Addicted2Ratsİ
Re: More Socializing Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
Your rats probably don't seem motivated by treats because they don't trust you enough yet to take them from you.  I'd try any kind of baby food that you can.  I've found that my guys really LOVE the bananas baby food though.  I give them their medicines in that when I need to.  Be careful about how much you give because it can cause a little bit of mushy poops.  And don't feel bad about needing to learn about rats -- we all started out as newbies and we're always still learning.  :)

Deb

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »
Either of those would be fine for rats.  Each rat has its own preferences, so you may have to try a few things before you find the one that your rats really love.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I've given them the peach baby food before, and they ate it...cautiously. I'll try some of the chicken one as well.I wish I had gotten them from a reputable breeder and they were well socialized.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »
The favorite here is ham and gravy (yes, baby food).

You've done your furkids a favor.  Just talking to them and stroking them in the cage for awhile might help.  Also, lifting them from underneath instead of over top (as a friend put it, it feels less like the eagle snatching them up)
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline AZ.rata

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
Do you have a safe area that their cage can sit in so that they can come out on their own to explore while you sit there? I have a little play area that I made. Here's a link to another post I explained it in. It did a great job for us!  http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4048172.msg4493322/,#msg4493322
Also... Ralph LOVES peas... try those to tempt out of the cage with.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
Ooooh....that's a great idea! I just tried to get them out with peach baby food, and Lilith licked it a little, but as soon as i pulled the spoon a little to get her to follow, she backed up. Then Lola, tried to make a great escape. >.< I feel like I'm making no progress.

Offline saddiedog

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
Don't feel bad about needing to learn, everyone does including the most Sr. members to this forum. I came here thinking I knew a ton and when I went to browse the forum I got knocked on my butt by all the things I had never even heard of let alone thought of. I'm still learning, 10 rats later ;D  Everyone here is super cool so feel free to ask anything to anyone, we're all here to help and all we expect in return are pictures of your cute little rat kids! :yelcutelaugh:

Like others have said, having their cage in a place where they can crawl out on their own really helps. I had my girls cage on a table and had my elbows resting on it while talking quietly to them with some Peanut Butter at the ready. It did wonders!
My girls really enjoy the sweet potato baby food, and regular mashed squash.

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
AW, just think, you're giving them a chance even if they aren't very social at this point. They'll come around with lots of patience. My 1st two were just like you're describing, and the reward of them now loving me and being 1st to climb on me was soooooooooooo worth it.

When they were too scared to try something, I would put a lil dab on their foot or nose and walk away. Then, they KNEW it was yummy and ok to eat. I sat a lot with my hand hanging in their cage just talking to them.

I know others differ, but I handled them a lot. I would pick them up, give em a kiss, put them back down. I would let them hide in my shirt while I watched TV for an hour every night.

Offline WEAVER

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Cozy Cavy
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »
Seeing they are still real scared and wanting to hide, have you tried a bonding pouch?

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
No...what's a bonding pouch?

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »
I think they make them for ferrets - zippered ventilated pouches that keep the rat contained but close to you.  Not all rats take to them, but for many it's an ideal solution.

I personally like the unforced, come to me when you're ready approach. I think you're on the right track, it's just going to taake time...
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline gesticulator

• Posts Too Much!
  • Terri Claire
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
Try not to get discouraged, and keep optimistic. Any small improvement is a step closer to them warming up to you. I have only had rats since last March, so I am not much less of a "noob" than you are. When I brought my first two boys home, they were petrified. They stayed frozen in the corners afraid of every sound and animal in the house. I moved them into my daughter's room so there was less traffic. I sat by the cage and talked to them. What worked for me was vanilla yogurt on a spoon. Once one started eating it, his brother joined him. After that I would let them sit in my hoodie pocket for a little while each day, so they could get used to my scent.
Today, these two clowns are the first to break out of the cage, and will climb up on me before I can pick them up. They now have 7 cage mates, and one solo neighbor. In the mix, I have some that are more shy and squeal when picked up, some who run like lightening from my hand, and others that can't wait for me to scoop them up. I am sure your ratties will find their comfort level, as long as you let them go at their own pace. Good luck, and don't give up!
*Flash*Panda*Dotty*Mushroom*Nanuk*