Author Topic: Barbering?  (Read 678 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Barbering?
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »
My boyfriend has a black hooded rat, Victor, who is constantly barbering. My rat, Lucien used to do it too, but for some reason he stopped and his fur has been much healthier. None of his other rats do it, (He has 3 others, including Lucien in the same tank) We've confirmed that it is barbering because we've seen him do it. What can we do to help him?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Barbering?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »
*Bump!*
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Crissyting

• Chocolate and rats, my two favoite things.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:16 AM »
What does Barbering mean?

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:52 AM »
Self-Mutilating. Pulling fur.

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:07:51 AM »
Just some guesses, but I'm not really sure...

Could he have mites (can't see with human eye), or internal parasites causing him to be uncomfortable?

Perhaps skin allergies?

Does he get enough play and free range time? Some animals will mutilate themselves because they're bored.

Dry skin (what's he eating?)

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:34 AM »
He doesn't get a lot of free-range time because he freaks out when he's out of the cage. I'm not sure exactly what he eats, but I don't think it's mites because none of his other cagemates have it.

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:14:02 AM »
Other more experienced people will have to step in and give some ideas - especially about free range, since I just don't know :/

There is still the possibility that he's missing something in his diet (even if none the other rats are showing signs - it may be specific to him), an allergy, or possibly something internal (again, just guessing here - some birds will pluck apart their feathers when there is something wrong inside of them, trying to get to the problem).

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!