Author Topic: Live Foods?  (Read 5686 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Live Foods?
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Does anyone feed their rats live foods such as Megaworms, Mealworms or Crickets?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Neuroticax

• FreebieNetwork
Re: Live Foods?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I haven't, personally, but I know people who have. Just make sure it's a treat because they are high in protein for a rat.

MY SO keeps Tarantulas and feeds them crickets, I should bring one home for Nibs. lol
My Deviant Art
http://neuroticax.deviantart.com/gallery/

FreebieNetwork
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/FreebieNetwork/

InfoWars - Because there's a war on for your mind.
http://infowars.com

Disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed.

Offline Mousie452

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »
I've done mealworms before, its so gross. Crickets I won't because I don't want them getting loose.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
I don't have problems with live food. I've even bred Roaches as feeders, so it's not gross to me, I just wanted to know about people's experiences. I'll probably pick up some Megaworms when i have a cash-flow, as it is a treat and not a staple. If I was still buying crickets for my gecko, or if I still had my scorpion, I'd probably give them crickets.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Mousie452

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
I used to have hissing cockroaches for pets. I think I'd pass out in disgust at the sound that would make. 18 rats chewing on squishy roach innards while I'm standing in the middle of their cages. Its not like a reptile that just snaps it up in one bite.  :icon_puke_r:

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
LOL! My boyfriend has given Megaworms to his guys before and they love them, fighting over them and tearing them apart. Such sport!

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »
I used to have hissing cockroaches for pets. I think I'd pass out in disgust at the sound that would make. 18 rats chewing on squishy roach innards while I'm standing in the middle of their cages. Its not like a reptile that just snaps it up in one bite.  :icon_puke_r:

Hehe... it is QUITE the sound ;) Amazing how their little hunter instincts switch on in an instant.

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
I never thought of feeding my rats bugs.  My ratties are so sweet and cuddly I can't imagine them munching on a nasty bug, eww.  But they really do like it huh?  If so I guess I could see about getting them one once in awhile although my son just said NO not for his ratties lol.  When we had firebelly toads we'd feed them crickets but for the most part they'd eat them in one gulp.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »
Yeah, they love them, and from what I've read, they're good for them in moderation.

Offline pomegranateangst

• Pictures of my rats
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
My boyfriend has a hedgehog who eats freeze dried meal worms and crickets, and I give them to my rats as a treat sometimes. They love them! And I find freeze dried a lot more appealing an idea than live bugs, but even they took a bit of getting used to.
You can find them in the reptile section.

Offline Rmv1983

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »
My girls love mealworms. But I can't stomach watching them eat them. They move and squirm while being eaten  :icon_puke_r: I put them in a bowl in the cage and leave the room.

Offline pomegranateangst

• Pictures of my rats
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
Personally I think the dried ones are a much better option. I bet the rats like live ones better, but watching them eat live bugs would just be awful.

Offline chiropteragirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
My rats were afraid of crickets, but they love mealworms. They bite the heads off first, so it is very quick.  :confused:
My fat little cyber rattie:
   () ()
>(_)<
   ('' '')
   (   )~~

Offline turtlescales

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
I've done mealworms before, its so gross. Crickets I won't because I don't want them getting loose.

I haven't tried feeding my ratties anything live yet, but I have to leopard geckos that eat crickets and other bugs.   Crickets get loose from time to time, but it keeps the cat happily entertained!

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
Ya if they don't catch the crickets in time they'd jump right through the cage bars
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:59:14 AM by andie3131 »

Offline Mousie452

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:28:42 AM »
I didn't think of freeze dried. I'm trying to fatten my rats up. I can get a bag of 2000 freeze dried mealworms at the garden supply store for $10. I know that's too many but the outside birds could use some too by this time of winter. You can also get a can of 500 live for the same price.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »
I've tried giving Elliott mealworms, he'll take one out of my hand after shoving it in his face a few times, bite down once or twice, then drop it and walk away...  ::)

Offline rattix2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
My SO has given our passed ratties mealies before. He also gives our mice mealies and bugs from time to time. They enjoy it. :) But I am anti-bug so I wont touch it, LOL.
--> Rebecca <--

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 10:45:01 AM »
I have a tub full of random freeze dried bugs and seafood for my crabs. It's come across my mind to let my rats give it a try, but I've never actually done it yet. I have a hard enough time touching the freeze dried fish/shrimp/worms/random dead bugs that I order to actually watch my rats crunch down of them... *shivers*

Offline Neuroticax

• FreebieNetwork
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Ya if they don't catch the crickets in time they'd jump right through the cage bars

What about feeding it off a tweezers? My Nibs grabs anything I give him like that, might be easier so they don't get away?
My Deviant Art
http://neuroticax.deviantart.com/gallery/

FreebieNetwork
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/FreebieNetwork/

InfoWars - Because there's a war on for your mind.
http://infowars.com

Disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »
I have feeding tongs from when I had a scorpion, and I feed them with that. not because I have a problem touching worms, but because I have a problem being bitten :P

Offline holly238

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
I find it a bit ironic that live feedings of other sorts are frowned upon but these are not. What about the poor bugs getting eaten alive? It makes me sad because I love crickets! I think they are the coolest bugs ever!

I mean, worms, not so much. But squirming while being eaten?  :icon_puke_r:  And sad.....
Treat giver to Poppy, Thistle, and Henry

RIP all the ratties I've loved and lost, especially my heart rat, Sniffles

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
I find it a bit ironic that live feedings of other sorts are frowned upon but these are not. What about the poor bugs getting eaten alive? It makes me sad because I love crickets! I think they are the coolest bugs ever!

I mean, worms, not so much. But squirming while being eaten?  :icon_puke_r:  And sad.....

I feel the same way, but it does have to happen. You can feed snakes f/t, but some animals won't eat p/k insects... it has to be live and moving or they won't touch it. I don't think that I could feed any living creature to another living creature, personally.

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »
"Hi. This is a common question, and it's not entirely philosophical. Pain as WE experience it is based on our nervous system. We have special nerve cells called "nociceptors" whose sole purpose is to create the sensation of pain. Without those special cells, we wouldn't feel pain. There are, in fact, medical conditions which can selectively kill those cells - the best known is leprosy, but there are others. I personally had a mild seizure once that wiped out the connection to the nociceptors in my left leg, and to this day I cannot feel geuine pain in my left leg - I can tell when I'm being touched, and can tell how much pressure is being applied and to how small or large an area, but (for example) there is no difference for me in the feeling of being poked by a pencil versus an icepick, nor any difference in being touched by an ice cube versus a boiling hot piece of metal. Insects and other arthropods don't have any nociceptors. They can feel sensations, but PAIN is definitely NOT one of them. Their responses are therefore very different from ours. Aside from my own personal example of what it's like not to feel pain, consider this: if you gently grab an insect's leg and hold it, it will struggle violently. If you snap the leg off, it stops struggling and calmly limps away. If they felt pain, it would be the exact opposite.
As for emotions, no, they most definitely do not experience emotions. Things like hunger, thirst, fatigue, and sex drive are not emotions, they are physical sensations."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/insects-feel-pain.htm

It's only sad for me to feed insects or worms when I give them a name first. I give my rats the occasional cricket/superworm/even hissing cockroach, and it's amazing how their instincts set in. It's a form of enrichment for my rats, and they love it - though they only get insects every once in a while since they are very high in protein (though are a healthier protein than something like beef/chicken/ham.

The reason it's frowned upon for other animals is 1) mammals do feel pain, and have fear and 2) because mammals can also cause serious damage back to the predator (it's a lose-lose situation, no matter which way it goes).

Insects/bugs are neat, and I like a whole lot of them (getting a Bumblebee Millipede soon, and just recently had a Rosehair Tarantula), but they don't feel pain or fear like a mammal/bird/reptile would.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:45:07 PM by MadCatter »

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!

Offline Meatball

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »
Ew, if I fed my rats bugs or worms, I would not be kissing them as much. Or at all. Bug breath!!!