Author Topic: Lining the CN Single Level  (Read 1912 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Lining the CN Single Level
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
I just orderd the CN 161 (single level) and, I'v decided to try using something other than bedding. I thought I'd try non-adhesive shelf liner Held down with velcro. Has anyone tried this? I know many people use fleece, but I'm on a tight budget and I have a bunch of the shelf liner left over. What (besides fleece) do people use in the FNs and CNs? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
Re: Lining the CN Single Level
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Do you mean the no skid stuff? It will probably get chewed to bits in no time, but that's true of anything you put in their cages. Also, the idea of bedding of any sort is to absorb urine and to keep them from walking through it all. The shelf lining stuff isn't going to do either of those, really.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
Yeah. I've used it for reptiles. I know it won't absorb anything, but if I do daily wipe-downs with a wet paper towel, it shouldn't be a problem....right? I also avoid laundry like the plague and that's another reason I don't want to use fleece. Is there anything I can use besides Carefresh that would work well?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
The FN/CN pans aren't setup for bedding. The rats will kick out the majority of it just by walking around. If you can get some coroplast cheap, you can make an edge to keep bedding in, at which point you could use just about anything. Yesterday's News, Aspen, Carefresh, etc..

If you'll be doing daily wipe downs anyhow, I would save the shelf lining.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »
What I might do is use the pan from the cage that I have them in now and put some bedding in there, almost like a litter box...depending on how it fits into the cage. What's cloroplast, and where can I find it?

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
Coroplast is essentially a corrugated cardboard plastic, :doh: and you can find it at most sign shops.  It's usually sold in 4'x8' sheets, but they should be able to cut it down to size for you.

Here's a handy database to help you find coroplast.  If there isn't any listed near you, I'd just call around to sign shops to find it.  http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm

Edited for a REALLY foolish typo.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:41:40 PM by Grace Jr »

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
Thanks for that link! there's a store right near me. I'll give them a call with the measurements and see how much it's gonna run me.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
Yep, that's where I was going to send you, too.

You can use a litterbox out of just about any box that will fit into your cage, but litter training is mostly for poo, not pee. So they'll still go on the shelf and pan. If you do go the coroplast route, you'll only have to wipe down the shelf at that point.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
Why will I only have to wipe down the shelf if I do cloroplast?

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
If you use the coroplast to make the pan deeper, by cutting strips that will give you another couple of inches of depth, you can use regular bedding in the CN.

The pan is very shallow, only an inch or so deep, so bedding doesn't stay in. You have to make a barrier of some sort in order to keep bedding in, which is what the coroplast would do. Since the pan would then have bedding in it, you would only have to wipe down the shelf.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »
Ah. I was trying to avoid using bedding because Carefresh is SO expensive. I switched to it because I could get it for 10 bucks. But the company is cutting back so this is no longer an option. What other types of bedding could I use that works and is less expensive?

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
I know you're trying to avoid fleece, but that's what I've found to be cheapest. I get it off the clearance at the fabric store and can get enough to use for 2 cage changes for less than $10. I wash a load once a week.
 My rats aren't super chewers, so I'm lucky. They rarely chew the fleece that covers the shelves, just the fleece on the main level. But even then, I can get 5-10 uses out of it.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »
How often do you change the cage? I do it very rarely....maybe bimonthly.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
Yesterday's News, Aspen, Carefresh, etc..

You need to change the cage every 2-4 days, depending on how many rats and what type of fabric you use. I honestly would change carefresh alot more than that, too. The ammonia from their urine sitting that long, right under their noses, really wouldn't be healthy for them.

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24:34 AM »
Oh gosh, I couldn't imagine waiting that long to clean the cage. I have 5 in the cage, and I don't like to go more than 3 days, 4 MAX. I figure if I can smell it, their little noses are affected a lot more being IN the cage.

Offline kady05

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
How often do you change the cage? I do it very rarely....maybe bimonthly.

You only clean your cage out every other month??  :o Even with 2 rats (which it looks like you have more than that), that's an incredibly long time to wait. I couldn't imagine even going 2 full weeks without cleaning! When I had 2 rats, I could go 2wks. between cleanings, but that was the longest I'd ever go.

I use Yesterday's News. I get it in the cat litter section (just make sure it's unscented), and it's 30lbs. for $17. Lasts quite awhile, and I clean my cage once a week, or possibly ever 10 days, just depends. It really controls odors well, and is pretty much no dust.

Now that I have the one level CN, they're on towels til my deep pan gets here (I can't stand using towels/fleece for bedding, just a preference). I put them in there on Wednesday, and it's Sunday now, and I'm going to clean today. I have 4 boys, just for a reference.

Regarding the shelf liner, I suppose it could work on the shelf level, if you did daily wipe downs. Right now I just have mine 'stock', and wipe it down every morning with baby wipes. Works fines, but I do think I'm going to put some fleece/or a towel up there so that it's not as slippy. On the bottom, I would say it wouldn't be worth it, you'd be wiping it down constantly if you didn't want them walking in their pee (my guys hang out on the bottom the most). So I'd say either go with using towels (I get mine at Target, they're $4 and come in tons of colors), or order a deeper pan and stick with using bedding.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:13:07 AM by kady05 »
-Kady

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
The cage that I change twice a month is a huge superpet cage with one girl in it, I change the babies cage once a week, if not more. I figured with all 4 girls I'd change it twice a week. is fleece super easy to clean? I'm trying to stay away from bedding like carefresh.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »
It's not really about "ease" sometimes... it's about the comfort and health of the rats...

I have a very easy time cleaning fleece. If your rats are not potty trained, which mine aren't, I vacuum the poops 1-2 times a day and then change out the fleece once a week. It couldn't be easier.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
Well, fleece it is then. I'll go to the craft shop near me and pick some up. How do you get the fleece to stay on?

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
I use jumbo binder clips. Anything smaller than "jumbo", even the large ones, are going to be too small.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
That's a great idea. I never even thought of that. Well, I guess my list of things to get before the cage gets here is growing  :doh: Does anyone know the internal measurements for the fleece? for both the bottom and the shelf? That would be helpful.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
I use exactly one yard of fleece for the pans, and a half yard for each shelf, and they always fit perfectly.

Offline CampRhubarb

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
I tend to use old towels just as often as fleece.. a bath towel fits the main levels, and hand towels cover the smaller shelves..  The towels seem to last a lot longer since they are thicker and certainly aren't as hot in the summer.
Boots, Juju, Delia, Lyra, Hope, Faith, Eloise, and Myrtle

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
Old towels are a great idea. We have a ton of those. Do you use binder clips to keep them on or something else?