Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 543 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Introductions
« on: January 10, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »
So...As many of you know I have 3 babies and 1 adult female. I'm getting a CN either next week or the week after. I want to start doing introductions before the cage gets here. The 3 babies are together already, but I want to introduce them to Lacey, an adult rat. I figured I'd do it in the bathtub, as that's pretty neutral territory. What's the best way to go about starting introductions? In the past I've just thrown the rats together in the cage and come what may, but I want to do things right this time. Any suggestions?
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline caleppert

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
I introduced my new rats to my old rat in a jacuzzi bathtub that had some towels and boxes in it.  I figured having places to hide would help them be calmer.  After it went well, I then let them run around on the floor of the bathroom.  This site helped me a lot to be prepared: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/guides.php?subject=introductions

I would also pick up a cheapo spray bottle from Target or something and fill it with water to spray at the rats if something goes bad.  They usually get startled and wander off to clean themselves.

I will say the whole process was a bit weird.  At first, the rats just said a brief "hi" and walked away.  After a longer period of time, they started trying to dominate each other, the older one trying to box and kick at the new duo if they got to much in her face.

This is also something you should do over a period of days before actually putting them together in a (completely cleaned) cage.  Once you put them in a cage, even that should be stages, not leaving them immediately in there without supervision.

Hope that helps!