Author Topic: Is the Critter Nation single unit big enough for two rats?  (Read 8954 times)

Offline simplemoth

• My Flickr
Is the Critter Nation single unit big enough for two rats?
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
Next month I am going to be the proud parent of two female rats. I am entirely new to this, so forgive my ignorance.

I am wondering if the Critter Nation single unit will be big enough for two female rats? I really want to buy the double unit but I'm not sure I can convince my boyfriend on that, since it is almost $100 more.

Also, is/will there be a way to purchase the second unit singularly to add on, later, if I so choose to adopt more rats or that my girls need more space?

Thanks in advance!

(Also, can anybody help me with why my avatar is not working?)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: Is the Critter Nation single unit big enough for two rats?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »
It is plenty big for two rats.  It's actually rated for up to six, but I think that's a bit crowded, personally.  I'd definitely keep three or four in it, though.

There is not an add-on for the Critter Nation, unfortunately.  The Ferret Nation has one, but the construction of the two cages is different, and Midwest has said they will not make an add-on for the Critter Nation.  Some people are holding out hope for one, but I wouldn't count on it since the company has said otherwise.

Offline simplemoth

• My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »
Thanks so much for your help!

I guess I am still undecided then. Though a single unit can hold up to four, I want to give them as much space as possible.

Ugh, I'm so bad at important decisions. Haha. Does anybody know how long it takes to receive them from Petsmart? I think I'll have to order soon, either way.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
I have 5 in my 1 level and they have plenty of room!  If you use enough hammocks it is plenty of space.  They all sleep in one little area anyway :P  They use the whole bottom for running and playing and sleep in the hammocks up above. Here is a picture for reference.  The black hooded is a really big boy.

Offline simplemoth

• My Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »
Oh, I knew it was big but seeing how it dwarfs your boy rat really does put it into perspective. :)

While we're on the subject, I've seen custom cage-liners for the Critter Nation in online stores. I am wondering if it's necessary and why. I thought that the floors of the Midwest cage were not wire?

Thanks!

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
They aren't wire but it is easier to keep clean.  You can just swap out liners on cleaning day instead of wiping the tray down every day.

Edit for spelling, trying to type and eat :P

Offline simplemoth

• My Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
OH, I see. So it soaks up the rogue pee? Well that is something to consider, although I do already clean up after my kitty and boyfriend every day anyways. :P

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
Your girls would be living it up! While it's kind of a bummer not to be able to add the to CN right now, it's still an amazing cage. I have a 2 story FN, and it helped enable me....to get more rats.  :yelcutelaugh: I went from 2 to 6.  :-X They have plenty of room though. The cage bar spacing on CNs are great for young ratties and females who can slide through 1 inch spacing. Congrats on your new babies! Can't wait to see pics. Julztoni's cage is an awesome example of the set ups available (::is plotting on stealing her cage liner and hammies soon::). Your girls would be living in a mansion! Fleece liners have made my boys super easy to clean up after. I have a couple of different sets I made myself (just attached elastic banding to the undersides of my pieces of fleece to keep in place and avoid monsters pulling it up and eating it) so when one is in the wash, the others I can pick and choose from. It can get addicting redecorating such a big cage!  :wink5:

Offline caleppert

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »
Keep in mind that the CN is quite huge as a double level and can hold 12 rats (most recommend 8-10).  Someone made a comparison to a fridge with regards to it's size.  It really is a lot bigger than it looks (single or double).  I'd find the dimensions and measure it out before you commit to it for just two girls. 

Offline simplemoth

• My Flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »
cheerio - Thank you! I have to wait two extra weeks to bring them home because I opted to have them spayed. I don't know if I can handle the wait.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Yeah, see I'm thinking that it might be better to just go with a bigger cage, just in case. I mean, what if later I end up wanting to add a few more? I can see myself doing that because that is my personality. And what is another $100 over the course of a couple years, really?

caleppert - Wow, that is REALLY big. But, isn't bigger always always better? I know that they don't NEED that much space, it's more about creating an ideal life for them. :\

Offline kady05

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
I have 4 fairly big boys in a single level, and it's plenty of room. I wouldn't have a problem adding another to the group, but 4 is my limit for now, and I never plan on having more than 5.

For 2 girls, it's PLENTY big. If you're not planning on having more than 4-5 rats at once, I don't really see the need for a two level. I know most everyone here says 'the bigger, the better', but like I said, the one level is plenty of space for up to 5 girls IMO.

I had a two level FN before, and it was HUGE. It was great having all the space (I had 6 in there), but I vowed never to have that big of a cage ever again. It was a pain to clean since it was so tall (the bars and whatnot), and me being 5' tall, it was very heavy (100+lbs. I believe) and awkward to move around.

So that's just my take on it. It is too bad the CN can't be added onto, as that would basically solve your problem.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:29:30 PM by kady05 »
-Kady

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
Simplemoth-I have the double CN for my crew of four. Personally, I don't think I'd ever house more than 3 in a section. I say get the double, but only set up the bottom half. That way when/if you decide to get more, you already have a cage.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline tristan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I have two girls in my double, but its way bigger than i was expecting.  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline craze_176

• Hillary?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »
I have no trouble moving around and cleaning my double FN. it's actually fun. I love the wheels. I have 4 girls in it right now and then I'm adding 2 boys after their 3 week post neuter is done. I looove my FN. it's amazing. What I'm looking forward to is that I can also use it for ferrets in the future! And whatever else I might end up with.
If the double cn is too much cage for you.. you could always buy it and just assemble the one half of the cage and put the rest in storage! Or even use the top half for the girls and the bottom for storage, etc.

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
I agree with Craze! Plus, if you think you'll end up with a few more and want them to enjoy all that extra room, a 2 level may be the way to go. I have 3 boys in each level. I honestly don't think I would do more than 4 max on each level. It's great that you got your girls spayed, not only for the health benefits, but you could even house males in with them! Then you'd have the best of both worlds! My double FN is a little hard to manuever around tight corners in my house, but other than that, it's pretty easy to move around. I just took the hardware cloth off the front, and it's easier to move now that I can stick my fingers in the cage around the corners  :P Plus, it's lots of fun to decorate and super easy to clean. You could always get the double level, just use the top and then use the bottom to store their goodies until you decided to expand  :BlueDumboSmile: