Author Topic: My rat actually EATS toilet paper is this a problem?  (Read 842 times)

Offline KainRacure

• DOH!
My rat actually EATS toilet paper is this a problem?
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »
I gave our rats a partially used roll of toilet paper to play with by hanging it on the top of their cage so they could pull it in and shred it. all was great and they were having fun until Shady decided to actually eat the paper, she ripped off a strip and ingested it without the normal shred and let fall thing, then grabbed another and i got worried and pulled all the TP out.

Is this an issue and will the TP she ate hurt her?

Should I not let her near TP again?

(I's ask if shes just insane but I know the answer LOL)

Offline MadCatter

• Basic Rat
Re: My rat actually EATS toilet paper is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
Are you sure that it didn't just get stuck in her mouth and she had no choice but to swallow? I can't imagine it would hurt her, but I don't think I'd let it become a habit either.

It's "Porphyrin"; please use the search function before posting a new thread - you may already have access to an answer!

Offline KainRacure

• DOH!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
No the paper went in like a machine and never came out, it wasn't one of them too far in to cough up bits, and she did it 2 times.

Offline Addicted2Rats

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The *original* Addicted2Ratsİ
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »
I noticed that my guys will eat toilet paper too, so I just make sure that there isn't any on the rolls that I give them to chew up.  And if I have them free-ranging in the bathroom, I keep the toilet paper out of reach.  Better safe than sorry.  :)

Deb

Offline cheerio

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
My boys love to eat TP. I have to hide kleenex, paper towel and the like  ::) I take all off the rolls they get and hide everything else. Little monsters.

Offline Smidge

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie Owned & Approved
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
I have to laugh at myself because the other day Paco ran to the roll in my bathroom and began eating it. My husband said he was just holding it in his mouth but oh no, he ate some. I guess I'll be removing the TP and papertowels when he is out. My other boys play in it but Paco thinks it is a snack. And here I thought I had the only silly boy who ate TP.

Also Foster & Rescue Mom to many :) What girl needs Diamonds when she could have Rats?

Offline pomegranateangst

• Pictures of my rats
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
I've been told rats will sometimes eat paper products to help with their digestion. I'm not sure whether this is the case, but when Blue was feeling sick, she ate SoftSorb, and I hadn't seen that happen much before. However, you may need to worry about intestinal blockage... I don't know if it happens to rats, but sometimes when Hedgehogs eat SoftSorb bedding it happens to them.

Offline Crissyting

• Chocolate and rats, my two favoite things.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »
I've been told rats will sometimes eat paper products to help with their digestion. I'm not sure whether this is the case, but when Blue was feeling sick, she ate SoftSorb, and I hadn't seen that happen much before. However, you may need to worry about intestinal blockage... I don't know if it happens to rats, but sometimes when Hedgehogs eat SoftSorb bedding it happens to them.
Or choking. You ever tried to eat anything paper-like?  :-X