Author Topic: What Colors/Markings are my girls? *Pics*  (Read 736 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
What Colors/Markings are my girls? *Pics*
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
So, I have 4 girls, and I know that Lacey is a beige hooded. I was wondering what other color/markings my other girls have. I think Lily is a brown mismarked hooded, but I'm not sure. Here are some pics!

Lily:

Lenore:

Lola:

Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline sk1tt135

• I am his sorceress and he is my knight! <3.
Re: What Colors/Markings are my girls? *Pics*
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »
Looks like you have a agouti mismarked hooded in Lily, an agouti berk in Lenore and a black(or chocolate) berk in Lola, it's hard to tell from the pictures.  Cute girls either way.
Getting my boys from Phoenix Gate Rattery pretty soon!
At the bridge: Daisie, Monkie, Sandie, Oreo, Juno, Rubie, Pie, Aminta, Meg, Godiva, Shampoo, Conditioner, and Bracken...

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
It's hard to get pics, because it's hard to get them to stay still! LOL, if it helps, Dad is a black hooded and mom is an agouti...self? she's almost all agouti I believe, but since I haven't handled her much (She's my bf's) i don't know what her under markings are.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Cookie

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »
Hi, sort of off topic but on topic at the same time. The colour thats kind of dark grey/brown colour is agouti??

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »
Hi, sort of off topic but on topic at the same time. The colour thats kind of dark grey/brown colour is agouti??

Yep. it's extremely common because it's the color of most wild rats (Rattus Norvegicus) which are the same species as pet rats.

Offline Rattenfänger

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Looks like you have a agouti mismarked hooded in Lily, an agouti berk in Lenore and a black(or chocolate) berk in Lola, it's hard to tell from the pictures.  Cute girls either way.

If she's in the US I highly doubt chocolate, as there are VERY few and most are still within the breeding community. My guess is black, or "bad" black. I happen to really like "bad" blacks because they tend to get really pretty brown rusting as they age. My old man has such beautiful rust on his back.  Also I just noticed it looks like her girl has silvering. So I vote silvered black berk.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
I think you're right about the silver/black berk. Her fur does have kind of a silvery shine to it (I think it's beautiful). The one I really wasn't sure about was Lenore, because of the cream on her belly. I didn't realize berks could have cream too!

Offline synelovator

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
It's hard to get pics, because it's hard to get them to stay still! LOL, if it helps, Dad is a black hooded and mom is an agouti...self? she's almost all agouti I believe, but since I haven't handled her much (She's my bf's) i don't know what her under markings are.

I agree with sk1tt135 (SKITTLES?! what a good name... clever), and from what you've said of the genetics it makes perfect sense... or, somewhat perfect, actually.  Especially if the momma is an agouti berk.  Your girls do have skinny berk markings, though, which is interesting.

So, the hooded "gene" is actually the same gene that controls self colouring, and is generally called H.  H/H is self, H/h is berkshire, and h/h is hooded.  Then there are a whole bunch of modifier genes that create the variegated patterns and, if i am correct, dalmatian spots and a few other things.  So it looks like your girls are H/h and h/h with modifiers, which works out perfectly if the mum and dad are H/h and h/h respectively.  How clean is the dad's strip, do you know? 

(I love genetics!!)

Offline sk1tt135

• I am his sorceress and he is my knight! <3.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »
Thanks about my name!  Silvered black berk was my second guess, actually I almost edited my post to change it but didn't...
Getting my boys from Phoenix Gate Rattery pretty soon!
At the bridge: Daisie, Monkie, Sandie, Oreo, Juno, Rubie, Pie, Aminta, Meg, Godiva, Shampoo, Conditioner, and Bracken...