Author Topic: Litter training/ cloth liner questions  (Read 604 times)

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
Litter training/ cloth liner questions
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:52:31 AM »
Tomorrow is cage cleaning day and I'm dreading it. The actual cage, the one my twins are in, has a ramp that runs to the bottom. The top lifts from the bottom, but the ramp curves at the bottom so that it has a piece of wire mesh that lays flat against the bottom tray... this is in the corner and it's the corner the twins like to go on... go figure they pick the hardest one to clean. To make matters worse, I've been trying to litter train them... they throw/drag the plastic pan away from the corner and since I started trying to keep it there they have also decided that there shouldn't be any carefresh in that corner either so they have been going on the bare cage bottom on top of this wire mesh and it's a sticky gross mess.... I'm going to have to scrub it with a toothbrush and I hope that the vinger + peroxide will still do the trick. I'm waiting patiently for my Ferret Nation, the twins are finally big enough. But they aren't litter trained yet and I don't have all my fleece liners made grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  any litter training advice would be AWESOME

My rex is giving my trouble too... he is quarantined in a converted bird cage right now, and he uses 3 different spots.  I put a litter pan in one of them and he just stopped using the corner and ignored it.  I moved it and he ignored the corner I moved it to.  ::sigh::  I might switch their cages because the bird cage has a wire bottom and the twins wouldn't be able to throw their bedding around... anyway

Second question:

To anybody here who uses cloth liners, what do you use to hold them down? I bought velcro strips because that seemed like the best most rat-proof idea (I thought about hooks like hammocks and about stitching on elastic straps but straps are chewable and both would allow ratties to shove themselves between the liner and the shelf if they had a mind to, and I don't want that).

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
Re: Litter training/ cloth liner questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:34:20 AM »
I'd like to know how to keep the liners down too.  I tried the elastic sewn across from one side to the other and it works for a few days then they chew them apart(the girls, not the boys).  I was going to try hooks next.  I saw someone put the elastic inside the fabric, so you'd stretch the fabric over the corners instead of just the elastic (like I did).  I am just learning to sew so I don't know how to put the elastic under the fabric in just the corner.  I am constantly cleaning poos from underneath liners and straightening liners out in the girls cage, the boys don't go under theirs to much they do move them around.  Mostly on the bottom level.  I also need to get another cat box for the boys cause they find away to unattach the corner box and dump and drag it EVERYWHERE!!!   :doh:

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
Re: Litter training/ cloth liner questions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
I have minimal sewing skills as well... when I said elastic, I had thought about doing straps that ran from one side of the liner to the other across the bottom of the pan.... but it would definitely be chewable and definitely leave gaps to be crawled in.

I bought velcro with a sticky back and some more velcro and washable fabric glue to attach it to the liners with, but I don't want to glue any down onto the cage pans until I hear from someone else who does this because it's doing something pretty much un-doable....

I chose velcro because if I line the entire edge there's no way they can get under it or move it, and the glueing limits the amount of sewing my slightly-sewing-challenged self has to do so if that's what I end up doing, I'll let you know how it works :)