Author Topic: 11 Babies! (Individual Pictures!)  (Read 12437 times)

Offline PixieTheRat

• <:3)~<:3)~<:3)~
Re: Awaiting Rittens :D
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 11:24:31 AM »
bump  :balloon:
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline liltk43

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
I would definately go to the vet.  She may need a c-section to get those babies out.  Males can pull there man bits inside, but by about 5-6 weeks you should really be able to see them at one point or another.

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
I would definately go to the vet.  She may need a c-section to get those babies out.  Males can pull there man bits inside, but by about 5-6 weeks you should really be able to see them at one point or another.

The only problem with getting a c-section, is that I or my family have money to pay for something like that, like how much would something like that be?
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
Depending on where you live a c-section could be between $150-300, or even higher. Did she come into contact with any other rats after you got her? Is it possible she was inpregnated after you got her?

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
Depending on where you live a c-section could be between $150-300, or even higher. Did she come into contact with any other rats after you got her? Is it possible she was inpregnated after you got her?

The only male that I've seen her with was her brother.  And like I said I'm not sure if my friends rat is just like messed up and his testicles are inside of his body, but otherwise no, no other males.

When I got home from school, I took Pix out of her cage for a little bit, and still she looks like she is getting bigger.  Maybe the reason her gestation period is longer is because she did get pregnant when she was only 5-6 weeks old, so maybe the process is slower because she is still growing?  I'm not sure but all I know is that I hope they come out by morning.  And I was doing some reading up on when rats have their babies, and it said the average is around 6-7 pm...
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Madmartigan

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
Young moms have average gestational periods of 21-23 days like normal. The only instance in which your girl might carry longer is under extreme stress or in a back to back breeding like lilspaz said in her post. Are you sure of the date you got her? Try placing her aquarium in your closet this evening, the darker and quieter the better. Shred up paper towels as they make excellent nesting materials and are very safe for newborn bubs. I know you are worried about the financial burdens of the vet but if she doesn't deliver soon she may be in trouble. Are we certain your friends rat is female? and that she has had no other contact with males?

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
I really think you should get her to the vet. As far as the expense goes, nearly every vet I've ever heard of is willing to work with a person on payments (especially in what could be an emergency like this!)

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
I would definitely take her to the vet to verify pregnancy and see about what the vet thinks when it comes to a possible c-section.  While she is *probably* pregnant, taking so long could be an indication of a bigger problem.  (Or, she could not be pregnant, and have some kind of illness.  Maybe close pyometra, or something similar.) 

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
I know that I got her on a tuesday, and I could of sworn that I got her the 13th.  But maybe it was the 20th, I'm not quite sure. But I just picked her out of her cage to play with her for a little bit, and I can feel little guys squirming around in there!  :shocked2:
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Madmartigan

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
If you can feel them moving around then birth is imminent. Leave her to her own devices for a bit in a darkened quiet place and hope for the best. If you were mistaken and it was the 20th that would make today day 21. This seems a plausible explanation. Think back and see if youcan verify the date in any way.

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
I put her in my bi-fold closet that has slits in it.  Do you think it's safe to put them in the closet?
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
If she's in her cage in a folding closet that's maybe open just a little with lots of snuggly stuff and lots of food and water I'd imagine she'll be fine. If your closet is really stuffy and overly warm (or cold!) I'd probably just leave her in the room and stay out as much as you can and keep quiet when you are in there. Here's hoping the babes come tonight!

Offline Madmartigan

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
As long as she's safely enclosed in her home and the temp is about the same as the room. . . .there are no worries. I know lots of people who have done this, it helps because it's nice and dark, quiet, and no people are peeking in! Sometimes mom's just need to feel like they won't be interrupted or endangered while they settle in to birth. I hope that your dates are confused, for her sake and yours. That way she's just heading into the right time frame for having them. Also it would make sense since you say she's been gaining large amounts the last few days. Often mommas put on huge amounts in the last 2-3 days before birth. Good luck!

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
If she's in her cage in a folding closet that's maybe open just a little with lots of snuggly stuff and lots of food and water I'd imagine she'll be fine. If your closet is really stuffy and overly warm (or cold!) I'd probably just leave her in the room and stay out as much as you can and keep quiet when you are in there. Here's hoping the babes come tonight!

I just got out of her room from feeding her, and when I when to hold and feel the babies, I felt something hard/ crusty near her vagina.  I'm not sure what it was, but when I asked my mom she said it was something called a "plug."  Could someone tell me what that's all about?
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
Mucus plug? It's something that blocks the entrance to the cervix, and loosens before birth.  However, it shouldn't be hard or crusty.  It's a thick mucus like snot, basically.

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
Well maybe I just mistakened the feel of it.  I'm still praying they come tonight, and I will surely post pictures in the morning.  :)
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
I finally came to a conclusion, because I remember the day I got her, I took a picture and put it on a forum to show my friends, and I just went back, and it says 1-20-09!  So she's not overdue! and should pop any day now.  This is that picture of the day I got her.

*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline liltk43

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »
Well thats good news, I really don't see her lasting much longer...she has looked like she is going to pop for like 3 days!!!

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
yeah i know, i started to get worried when someone said that c section are almost 300 dollars!  :shocked2: but she was sucha cutie when she was little, now she's a cutie that swallowed a soft ball
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Sun of Samsa

• Posts Too Much!
    • Leah on Veggies
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
 :BangHead: Where are the babies?!

(<--dealing with some anger issues)

ETA: If you're worried about just a $300 vet bill.. I strongly advise that you start working on a vet fund RIGHT NOW. $300 is REALLY inexpensive compared to what members on this forum have put out for things as difficult as C-sections to things as simple as respiratory infections, even more. Rats are not the $5 pet you picked up at the store, they are an expensive long-term commitment, and you need to start preparing now. Problems will arise, and you need to have reserves to deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:19:42 PM by Sun of Samsa »

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »

ETA: If you're worried about just a $300 vet bill.. I strongly advise that you start working on a vet fund RIGHT NOW. $300 is REALLY inexpensive compared to what members on this forum have put out for things as difficult as C-sections to things as simple as respiratory infections, even more. Rats are not the $5 pet you picked up at the store, they are an expensive long-term commitment, and you need to start preparing now. Problems will arise, and you need to have reserves to deal with it.

Well since I found out, she is not overdue, I am set for a couple of days.
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »

It's not a vet fund just for her pregnancy, its for her long term care. Rats are very prone to illnesses, and most likely will need to see a vet at some point in their lifetime. A vet fund is where you take a little bit of money every week, month, whatever and set it aside in case of emergencies. Like stated above they are not a $5 pet you bought at the store, the require quality care just like any other pet, and if they get sick or injured they should most definitely see a vet. If you don't have the money to pay for good food, housing, and health care, then a rat is not a pet for you. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have seen too many times people come through here and say "i think my rat is sick what do i do?" and when you tell them they should see a vet they say "my parents won't pay for a rat to see a vet," or " i can't afford it.". Why did you get a pet if you can't afford to provide it with proper care?

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »

It's not a vet fund just for her pregnancy, its for her long term care. Rats are very prone to illnesses, and most likely will need to see a vet at some point in their lifetime. A vet fund is where you take a little bit of money every week, month, whatever and set it aside in case of emergencies. Like stated above they are not a $5 pet you bought at the store, the require quality care just like any other pet, and if they get sick or injured they should most definitely see a vet. If you don't have the money to pay for good food, housing, and health care, then a rat is not a pet for you. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have seen too many times people come through here and say "i think my rat is sick what do i do?" and when you tell them they should see a vet they say "my parents won't pay for a rat to see a vet," or " i can't afford it.". Why did you get a pet if you can't afford to provide it with proper care?

Damn guys chill chill.  I know how to take care of my pets. 
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*

Offline Madmartigan

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
Well at least we can all rest easy now that we know that she's not overdue! And that gives you a lot more time to prepare for any future costs that may be coming your way! . . . . we gotta stay on the side of positive encouragement here. . . it goes A LOT farther!

back to the baby betting pool lol  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

I'm going with 11 plump little pinkies and one very tired momma  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline PixieTheRat

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »
Well at least we can all rest easy now that we know that she's not overdue! And that gives you a lot more time to prepare for any future costs that may be coming your way! . . . . we gotta stay on the side of positive encouragement here. . . it goes A LOT farther!

back to the baby betting pool lol  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

I'm going with 11 plump little pinkies and one very tired momma  :yelcutelaugh:
I'm starting to think now that I felt her tummy today and can feel little babies moving around in there.  16, but I'm guessing an unlucky 3 will pass, leaving 13
*Pixie*Maisey*Midgey*