Author Topic: Ugh...Lenny is a girl and Cricket is a boy :-(  (Read 3252 times)

Offline looneycartoonie

• Posts Too Much!
Ugh...Lenny is a girl and Cricket is a boy :-(
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »
So I'm not so good at this naming thing apparently.  :-[ I have a lutino cockatiel and a yellow sided green cheek conure that live in the same cage. I've had them for quite a while but never thought too much about their sexes. My cockatiel is named Lenny (well because I thought he was a boy) and my conure is named Cricket (because we thought she was a girl). Things were going great with them but Lenny never learned to whistle so I got this great idea that I would just dna sex them since everyone was always asking about them. I just got the results and you guessed it...I had it backwards. Lenny is indeed a female and Cricket is a male. If they were humans they would have a great complex on their hands. **sigh**

Any suggestions about name changes? The lady at the DNA place suggested a switch in names, but I don't know if I can do that.  :help:

Offline AnnieB

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ugh...Lenny is a girl and Cricket is a boy :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »
I had an anthropology professor whose name was Leonora, but everyone called her Len or Lenny (or Lennie? Don't know how she would've spelled it).  I think Lenny is definitely a sort of andogynous name.  As for Cricket, there's no reason you couldn't keep calling him Cricket is there?

=)

Annie in Norway

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
I think you should keep their names what they are!  :) There are plenty of girls with boy names and vise versa. It's funny how they were both opposite of what you thought, though.

Offline looneycartoonie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
I'm sure that you guys are right about the names. I guess I was just devastated to find out that I got their sexes mixed up. I just had them both out and I kept telling Lenny that he was my handsome man and Cricket that she was a bad girl (she's a handful...lol). But hey the good news is that Cricket is close to saying "step up" rather than saying "pretty girl".  :yelcutelaugh: