Author Topic: My little special agents are escaping!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
My little special agents are escaping!
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:56:04 AM »
The twins have figured out how to get between the bars of the FN.  It took them a week.  They're... lets see... about 11 weeks old now.  About half of their adult size.  SOMEHOW they are managing to shove themselves through the bars anyway.  I haven't as of yet been able to figure out whether it is just one of them, or both.

At first I thought they could only do it to get back INSIDE the cage, because we had the door open and they were playing on the door and top and playing with the blanket we cover the cage with at night (it's still in our living room), and instead of climbing around to the door Tony hung sideways on the blanket and dove... so I thought maybe they can't do it from inside since they can't start in a sideways position.

But just now I heard an odd noise and looked up to see one walking around on the top of the cage... the door has been closed for a few hours now.

So I pulled the blanket down, hoping that will discourage them.  But now I'm worried.  But I don't have anything else to fix it with at this time of night -_-  So I'm staying up later to see if he'll do it again even with the blanket completely over the cage.

I know they are escape artists... but I REALLY thought they were too big by now.  Naive of me?

Offline LifeInCircuit

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: My little special agents are escaping!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:18 AM »
Even some adult girls can fit through that size bar spacing. I'm not at all surprised they've figured it out. I wouldn't count on them not going in and out all night. Would they be in any major danger if they got loose in the room? If there's any way they could get out or lost, I would really try and scrape something temporary together until you can line the FN with hardware cloth.

Offline Bootsy

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:33:15 AM »
You must also be carefull as they grow that they don't try to get through and then get stuck because they could do themselves serious damage.

Offline Suzy Q

• Twist-A-Roo!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »
Yeah, I'd go get that hardware cloth.  :( I'd be worried that they'll get stuck at some point. I did it last weekend, and it wasn't too bad. Just get a decent pair of wire cutters. I'm really glad the ones I got had scissor handles-much easier. :)
The boys...
Blue, Twister, Monopoly, Butterbean, Bear and Lucky

coliekumar

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »
My fully grown adult girl can get out of the FN!  She does not look all THAT little!

Offline Serendipity Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
The general rule with rats is if their head can fit through, then the rest can follow. I also would suggest covering the cage with hardware cloth to prevent escapes - as that is the only way you can be sure your babies will be safe.  :thumbsup2:

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
Well, they can definitely get their heads through, and they can squish and get the first part of their shoulders through, and they would do that and just kinda hang there with their front feet out and look at me like "Oh hey!  Look what I can do Ma!"  Occaisionally they would LOOK stuck when they were like that, but when I would go over to help them they would yank themselves back in and it looked like it might be very umcomfortable to do >_< Never thought they could get their hips through.

The FN is in our living room... we worked on clearing the computer room some last night, I guess we'll have to finish it tonight.  The cats are in the living room.  My cats can be trusted (with our supervision) but one of them WILL play, and I don't trust him to not play too rough without realizing it... so I don't trust them without... and I can't lock up the cats, or put them outside, they aren't outdoor cats. 

They ARE good enough, however, that a cover over the cage is enough for them to lose any interest (other than wanting to be on top of the cage because it's up high, I've come home from work and found Benny sleeping on top of the FN).  The blankie-cover was what I used last night, I tucked it in anywhere that I could, and Tony & Tim helped... when the cage is covered they like to try and pull the blanket into the cage.  It worked, I came out this morning and they both were in their tent, poking their head out as if to say 'Hi Mom!!'

I want to rat-proof my computer room... any suggestions on things to protect bundles of wires from being chewed?  Should I wrap them in fabric?  Actually, they seem to like fabric, that's probably a bad idea.  Any ideas?

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
Lowes and Home Depot sell cable covers that you can use to protect the wires.  They are clear tubing that are slit along the length that you slide over the wires.  If you have an old garden hose, you can do the same thing.  Or you can also tack all the wires/cables up high on the wall so they are out of reach.

I think the cover you have over the cage won't deter them forever.  Hardware cloth is inexpensive and doesn't take long to put up and would keep you little escapees in their cage and out of harms's way. There is a tutorial on how to modify a FN stickied at the top of this forum.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »
Okay, Hub and I did a bang up job cleaning out the rest of the computer room last night (we used the living room as a staging area though and now its kind of a mess  :doh:

So the FN is now in the computer room.  We pulled out the roll of hardware cloth that I couldn't return because we had started cutting it up (now I don't feel so bad about not being able to return it) and used it... problem is, apparently, we need more than one roll to cover JUST the top half of the FN. Yay.   :icon_scratch:

Soooo I still had to cover the FN with the blanket.  Tony got mad at me and squeaked because I kept plucking him off of the top of the cage and putting him back in the cage. 

Upside is that they are now in a room that we can lock the cats out of.  Down side is that even though Rex is over being sick and only had a week left of his quarantine, their cage is now in the same room as his. 

Offline LifeInCircuit

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »

Upside is that they are now in a room that we can lock the cats out of.  Down side is that even though Rex is over being sick and only had a week left of his quarantine, their cage is now in the same room as his. 

If it makes you feel any better, being in the other room isn't really going to prevent the spread of disease anyway, so anything they're now being exposed to they have pretty much already been exposed to.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »
Well keeping them in separate rooms while Rex was sick kept the twins from getting it.  I understand that the highly contagious stuff can be transferred through air anyway, but some stuff can't... many things aren't THAT highly contagious and are transferred only through direct contact of the sick rat or his/her sputum, feces, or urine. 

I wish people wouldn't be quite so fatalistic about quarantine towards those of us who are doing the best we can inside the same housing unit.  Just because we can't get a different location for QT does NOT mean we 'might as well skip straight to intros' (as I have seen said before) or the QT process will be totally useless, it's not true. 

Offline Honey 16

• Wind Acre Rattery
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »
How much would it cost roughly to encloce both levels of the ferret nation approx.? Cause I am having that same problem aswell

Offline LifeInCircuit

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »
Well keeping them in separate rooms while Rex was sick kept the twins from getting it.  I understand that the highly contagious stuff can be transferred through air anyway, but some stuff can't... many things aren't THAT highly contagious and are transferred only through direct contact of the sick rat or his/her sputum, feces, or urine. 

I wish people wouldn't be quite so fatalistic about quarantine towards those of us who are doing the best we can inside the same housing unit.  Just because we can't get a different location for QT does NOT mean we 'might as well skip straight to intros' (as I have seen said before) or the QT process will be totally useless, it's not true. 

There's really not all that much aside from parasites. I was not trying to chastise you, however, I was simply stating a fact and honestly did mean it to ease your nerves rather than offend.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »

There's really not all that much aside from parasites. I was not trying to chastise you, however, I was simply stating a fact and honestly did mean it to ease your nerves rather than offend.

I know you meant well, and you were much more polite than some others I have witness respond to people in my situation.  I should have started off by saying that, I'm sorry.

You're not the only person who is of that opinion; but it's much too black-and-white for me.  To me, something is better than nothing.  I'd rather do SOMETHING about prevention than NOTHING, and I would advise the same thing to anyone else in my position.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »
How much would it cost roughly to encloce both levels of the ferret nation approx.? Cause I am having that same problem aswell

OOPS DOUBLEPOST SORRY!!!  :bow:

SO far, I have spent $25 in hardware cloth, and $0 in twisty-ties I collected from around the apartment (you could also buy a pack of zip-ties at your local hardware store I think 50 are about $20, but they have to be cut off and can't be reused)

Now, I spent $9 on the first roll of hardware cloth and it was 5 feet long.  The second roll I brought home tonight (I'll be able to tell you if it was enough later) was 15 feet long.  I am sure that if I was able to travel back in time and buy ONE roll that was 20 feet or 25 feet long, it would be cheaper. 

Hub and I are going to finish modding tonight when he gets home from work, right now I am cleaning (taking a break from it, anyway).  Then I'll hop on and tell you how much we ended up using.

One day, like five years from now, I'm going to make a website called 'JerseyGirl's Rat Encyclopedia' or something of the sort... and it'll be just all this miscellaneous factoid/knowledge/tip/advice/STUFF I have found out over the years that I wish I'd know when I started lol

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
There's a FN Modification tutorial in the top stickied thread in this section.  Lots of other GREAT information also!   ;)