Author Topic: Hammock placement in Super Pet Ferret cage?  (Read 14094 times)

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
Hammock placement in Super Pet Ferret cage?
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »
For those of you with Super Pet Multi Level ferret cages, how do you hang hammocks and tubes on lower areas of the cage? Here is how the boys' cage looks right now:

I have several cubes and hammies made up for them, but I'm a bit hesitant on how I can place them without blocking/crowding things and making it difficult for the ratmen or my arms to get to the different levels of the cage. The shelf that has the binder clips on it is really sturdy, but I'd still like to take it out. I put it there to give the boys a separate way down aside from the slide and to better use the front portion of the cage, which I felt was really empty.  I'd like to fill that space with the hammocks and some ropes, but would I have to use corner hammocks and ones that stretch the width to do that? I'd love to give them lots of snuggly nap places since they're at the QT house and don't get as much cuddle time with me as I know they'd like. ;)

Can I see pics of everyone else's SP cages? I appreciate any visual aides and suggestions!

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
Re: Hammock placement in Super Pet Ferret cage?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
String. Or lots of hooks connected together. I have a SP Deluxe multi level, and it was always harder to hang things at the bottom. I guess that's why I tended to put all the things at the top and not much near the bottom. But then again the Deluxe isn't as square as the one you have. Just rig it if you have to. Your rats won't mind if it doesn't look nice! Lol.

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
Ahhh! It's gordon!

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »
Side Note: Thanks for the picture post, I have a running ball that I was given and I had no idea what I would do with it, I love how your using yours!!! Thanks!!!
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »
When I had that cage, I moved the shelves together to create one full level closer to the top. I hung their most used items up there. Then, on the bottom I did a long tube, hooked side to side, and also zip tied some baskets to the side, then lined them with fleece.

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
I just sold mine, and I second the 'put two together to make a full shelf' idea.  I had a broken shelf, so it helped to have a full floor here is a pic:

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »
Ooo, thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'm starting to get a better idea already. I really like the idea of a full floor and doubling up the shelves. The poor boys had to put up with my cursing when I was trying to figure out how I wanted to put everything today. At least they only have to deal with it until after the neuter! When our tax return comes in, we're getting a CN and putting the altered boys with our girls.

RatletLover: The ball came with their cage and everything that RattyMa gave me, and they love it! It's HUGE. lol Enough for about 1500 grams of rat to snuggle in. Further proofs:

Offline Finners

• Finnvarra Rattery
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »
Whoa! How do you have it strapped in?  I have one too and the dog always thinks something is in it but nothing ever is- it would make a great addition to my cage for cuddles as the girls currently like to pile 3 rats in a 1 rat house for comfyness.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »
This is the cage I just got from Johnny! I decorated it tonight.

I only have two of the shelves in there. The honeycomb (triple) hammock takes up a lot of space, it is hiding my 12" silent spinner and a basket hanging in the back corner. I have a bandana-turned-hammock as a safety net about halfway down, which is blocking view from the ramp that leads to the 2nd shelf.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:02:26 AM by evilhobbitgirl »

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »
@finners- You can just zip tie the run around ball to a corner. 

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
Yep, zip ties in a few spots keep it up there good. They really love sleeping in it!

eepowned -- I really like your liners! You've inspired me to make a few sets... sometime......  :wink5: How do those attachments work underneath? And how are you keeping the bottom piece in place?

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 02:17:18 AM »
The liners are from Kat's Rat Mats. RattyMa had them done for the cage a while back and I'm really in love with them! They are VERY nicely made. I bought some fleece to make liners, but I haven't cut them yet. I doubt they'll be as nice. TT_TT

All the shelves have little catches that hook onto the bars of the cage, but I assume you mean the white supports? The big ones that support the top shelf is zip tied on, and the one on the bottom hooks to the bars of the cage. If you meant the bottom piece of fleece that lines the pan, there's velcro at the corners. :)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:21 AM »
So what is it that is attached to the shelf catches? The thing going through the grommets... they look metal. Do they just loop around the shelf catch?
I agree, the do look very well made! Is it two layers of fleece?

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 03:22:06 AM »
Yep, it's fleece on both top and bottom, and the ones on the ramps fit really snuggly like a sleeve. They're kept on with clasps. I don't remember exactly what they're called but they look like this:

They're hooked to the bars of the cage where I can, but on one shelf I had to hook them to the shelf itself. I'll try and get better pics tomorrow.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that with me, it's probably going to come in pretty handy sometime! Right now I have some fleece rigged up with binder clips.

Offline intothemist1999

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »
EepOwned!!! I'm soooo glad I stumbled across this post, but it was via a google search, ironically (I just posted here,  an "in search of" the 24" shelves that go with that cage).

It's getting to the crunch for me...I really wanted more shelves before moving my new ratties in.  Assuming I have no luck finding them (Super Pet has been no help), I'm INTRIGUED by what you've done with the shorter shelf!!   :bow:  I have several 17" shelves, and I'm curious to know how you rigged that one -- I can't make it all out from looking at the pic.

I know this thread is a bit old, so I'm hoping you still may find this!

I've also been wondering about the hammocks...I've never had such a big/square cage before.

Offline EepOwned

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am the Ratmobile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:35:33 AM »
:) I used shelving brackets to keep up the smaller shelf on the side that couldn't reach the side. Then along the long side that was against the side of the cage I used binder clips to help make it more sturdy. The brackets came with the cage, but I'm sure you could find them at Home Depot or Lowes.