Author Topic: Cage Pics... very overdue; suggestions/observations welcome  (Read 807 times)

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
Cage Pics... very overdue; suggestions/observations welcome
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:52:25 AM »
I feel that I am long overdue to post photos, I agonized over cages and supplies publicly for a while... I finally caved in and bought a FN, moved the boys in, then got the top modded so the boys stayed in, and all the godforsaken stuff I ordered finally cage... It's far from finished and my inventory of supplies has gone from bare to minimal to pleasing, but is definitely not what I would call 'fully stocked' lol.  I need much more if I am to expand from 3 rats to 6 or 8 and actually use both the top and bottom.

I have plenty of fleece and some flannel and am still testing out my skills at making my own bedding, but the liners were a cinch.  Everything else has been purchased so far.

Here's photos of the top:
A full view, complete with Rex wondering what I'm doing

In this photo, you can get a good look at the screw-on corner crock, which I love and have two of, their bell ball, their hidey hole (all of their hidey holes are the little stools that were in the Target dollar spot somewhat recently for $2.50), an extra ceramic I had put some lettuce and carrots and red peppers in, and our crappiest water bottle that doesn't stay on well because of the widely spaced, vertical bars... we need better ones, like the ones that screw on like my crock that I saw at Petco that was neat, or maybe the ones with flat backs. The thing hanging with wood pieces is a bird toy I found all sealed up with the old parakeet stuff when I got the birdy QT cage from Mom's... they never chew on it, but the play with the bell from time to time... hehe. Under the stool is yellow floofy bedding stuff that came with the chew tube, and Tim  ;)

This one shows more... the lava swing (yes, it's pink and I have boys, I ordered from a discount pet supply store where I didn't get to choose the color, and there's no pet store around that sells those, so I can't pull a switchy... my boys will just have to be secure in their manrattieness  :wink5:), my wonderful litter pan which they use like 70% of the time, which is good enough, the chew tube, the stool again, a fleece beanie hat that I bought for $1 at Goodwill, stuck eyelets in, and made into a hammock (that's Tony's butt  :BlueDumboSmile:) In the foreground on the top right is another bird toy unused and left over from parakeets.  I also have a one of those cotton perches going across the front part of this section of the cage, but I took it out to take the photo, you can see it in the first photo up top.

Most of my remaining supplies are here and in the QT cage.  Here you can see the Tent, the other litter pan and crock, another stool.

The QT cage, with nobody in it.  You can see the corner level I added, the stool, and the little corner pan.  It's missing a bottle because my only two have moved to the FN, but I have a couple hanging food dishes specifically for this cage not pcitured.

This thing also was a parakeet toy that the bratty feathered things never used.  The rats love climbing all over it... here, I put it on top of the QT cage to take a photo, but it usually lives on top of the FN, where I sometimes let them play.

One of the things I have that isn't in the cage yet.  This is one of a few things I bought at a goodwill with the intent of modifying them for use in the rat cage... a hat and a couple scarves, all fleece.  This is one of the 'scarves'.  Somebody made it and decided it was a bad idea for a scarf I guess... well, as you can see I started knotting the fringes, I'm going to trun it into a climbing rope... and it's long enough for me to cut it and make it two pieces, one for each half of the FN.

Other stuff I haven't pictured: Lots of wooden chew blocks, one extra stool, one or two other hanging birdy toys from the parakeets that are wooden. 

Goals for improving the cage:  I'd like to get more bedding... one of these days I'm going to finish one of the several hammocks I have started (my sewing machine fights with me, so I tend to give up and sew by hand and it takes me soooo long).  I need to cut out at LEAST one more set of floor liners, preferably two... and I should make two sets for the QT cage as well.  Like I said before, I NEED one more water bottle so that I have three, and I WANT a better one than the ones I have now.  I want one or two small crocks, the one in the photo is the only small one I have for stuff other than food... I've had to put Tony's baby food and sugar water in sauce trays because the only other things I have are full-size cat bowls.  I also feel like they need more interactive toys... like that complicated thing that looks like a big ball of pick-up-sticks, or something with a treat inside it... but I'm low on ideas, other than these things I have at work that are basically mini cardboard boxes with little some seed-block treats hidden inside that they like.  I have a ball, and sometimes they walk some in it, and sometimes they don't.... they would much rather climb (at least the twins would).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:02:12 AM by 4JerseyGirl »

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cage Pics... very overdue; suggestions/observations welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »
It looks great! Good job  :thumbsup2:

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Hehe thanks, I actually think it's rather unspectactular.  I only have three and the bottom half of the FN is desparaingly bare so I've been locking off the top half; I also have a lack of bedding.  I have this Sat and Sun off from work and I plan to clean my apt and sew... I know I'm not going to come up with anything as fancy as the stuff in other people's cages, but my goal is to have at least 2 whole new pieces in the FN by the end of the weekend. 

Initially, I bought some shoestring-cord for hanging the bedding, but I found it doesn't fit the smaller eyelets I have... I had some spare lengths of ball chain with a snap that I looped to secure the hat.  I have way more of the smaller eyelets than the larger ones, so I'm going to go to Michael's or Ben Franklin and see if I can buy some more ball chain and some snaps for it. I need to order those huge hooks that MRR has on their website (I saw them somewhere else, too... maybe Kali's, or Artsiekat? Idk...) but I wish I could find them somewhere around here in a store!

Offline Miss Mila

• Posts Too Much!
  • My Heart belongs to my Fur Kids
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
lookin good so far
Owned by 6 Ratties, 3 Dogs, and 2 Cats.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »
Turns out nobody really sells ball chain by the yard... soooo I just bought a roll of small link chain, 12 yards for about $5 after a 40% off one item coupon Michaels had in the paper today.  I also bought round rings to connect the chain to the eyelets, and some more hooks. 

I put up an ad on CL in the wanted section for fleece and flannel, for free or yard-sale pricing... just to see if I'd get any hits... none so far.  I am pulling out the sewing machine this week because I am part of the gift swap and I have to get my act together and hop-to making stuff so my gifts will be done by the right time ^_^  I will end up with some of my other stuff either finished or royally messed up in the process. 

But I also grabbed some cool remnants at Hancock for .99, it was a neat in-store promotion  :thumbsup2: