Author Topic: Has anyone here...  (Read 493 times)

Offline Chickadoodle

Has anyone here...
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:04:41 AM »
...made their own cage? I have seen some pics of homemade cages, and I was interested. I would most likely get a Martin otherwise because I can't afford a CN. Anyways, does anyone have any tips you'd like to share or plans for making a cage? Is it a good idea? Just a thought, and I' like some feedback. Thanks!

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
Re: Has anyone here...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:58 AM »
Some people on here have invested a lot of time and money into home made cages. Sometimes even doubling or tripleing the amount of money that could have been spent on a CN FN or Martins cage. I don't see it as worth it personally. There are so many things to take into consideration, you have to use specific woods that pee can't seep through. Not to mention actually building it to where a rat can't get out. The really good home made cages are worth it to the people who craft them and put the amount of money into it. I don't see making a cheap, functional and nifty home made rat cage. IMO. Leave it to the experts? Or search craigslist.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:29:27 AM »
98% of the people who make their own cages, mostly the Grotto type, wind up going out and buying a cage within a month or two. Usually it's a problem with the smell from pee seeping into the wood somewhere, difficulty cleaning it, or they're just not happy with it. Out of the leftover 2%, atleast half of them go and buy a cage within the first year. Supposedly the costs are supposed to be minimal, but most people wind up spending atleast a couple hundred dollars on the supplies. Very few people ever use their homemade cages long enough to outweigh the costs of one.

Go with the Martin's. They're wonderful cages that will last nearly forever with some basic care, and are a very reasonable price. Do you have a model in mind that you were looking at? I highly recommend the 680 if you're only planning on having 2-3 rats at a time.

Offline Serenity

• Posts Too Much!
    • SMW Critter Creations
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:37:16 AM »
I bought a cabinet at a thrift store for 20 dollars and my dad helped me make a door for it.

yea it was pretty empty at the time. I filled it up with cardboard box playhouses like so. . .

when the boxes got too chewed up or peed on i'd just throw them out.

completely empty with the door closed.

Pros:

Super easy to clean. I just vacuumed up loose turds every day and use clorox wipes to wipe it down. 
Tons of space to work with if you get creative.
Drawers on the bottom for storage space.
Virtually escape proof

Cons:
Extremely difficult to decorate. It was really hard to come up with ways to utilize the space.
nothing to hold litter bedding in.

I'd still be using this cage but my dad threw it away for some reason. He didn't even ask if I still wanted it.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:39:50 AM by Serenity »

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:25 AM »
^ Gorgeous cage!

However, if you can't afford a CN then you most likely can't afford a homemade cage. I looked into building one before I got my FN and realized it was without a doubt going to cost ALOT if I were to make it a big enough, cage, practical cage  :doh: . Homemade cages are neat, but I really reccomending just getting a Martins

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
I agree that if you can't afford a CN, a homemade cage (at least a properly-made and appropriate-sized one) is out.  Homemade cages are basically temporary.  They will never stand the test of time because they are CONSTANT maintenance, not to mention if you have or get a chewer... there goes your cage.  They take a ton of work, space, time, and money.  No matter how much planning you do, there will be lots of things you forgot and need to run out and buy, making it a fairly expensive project. in the end 

I've had homemade cages, even one really great one, and I can tell you from personal experience... skip the homemade cage, and splurge for a really great manufactured one.  Believe me, it's a much better decision and you won't regret it later, like you will with a homemade cage.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
i had a huge homemade cage that i made from a very large entertainment center. It was bulky, hard to clean, and my rats ended up chewing right out of it rendering it completely  useless. I would definitely recommend a manufactured cage.

Offline Chickadoodle

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies. :)

I realized that homemade cages would be expensive, and you guys had some good points. Because I'm in no huge hurry to get a rat (and I always get all my supplies before I get the pet) I will keep looking on craigslist and see what my pet stores have in stock.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
About the Martin's, an properly sized one(I personally think that any cage with a floor space smaller than 18"x30" or 24"x24" is too small) is going to run you $100ish plus shipping. The one story CN is $140 with shipping, and is quite a bit bigger.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline amanda9714

• The Eco-Friendly vegetarian
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »
 I just finished making a homemade cage.. I had all the supplies around my house so it was free to make (and fun) but i only plan to use it temporary till me and my hubby buy a house and then i can get my cn cage  :BlueDumboSmile:
Owned by..
2 cats (mooshoo and chibi)
3 ferrets (bella, meemo, bacardi)
6 rats (flower, addy, luna, Amara, Lita, Mina)
1 puppy (emma)