Author Topic: "Stoppers" for hanging hammocks in CN.  (Read 947 times)

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
"Stoppers" for hanging hammocks in CN.
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »
I need someone creative to help me with something. I know that this has been addressed before but there have never been any solutions brought to the table. When you go to hang, say, for example, a corner hammock in the CN, it won't stay in the corner because the bars are horizontal and it slides over. I use the thin metal shower curtain hooks that most people use. What could I use to put on each side of the hook to prevent it from sliding? One thing I thought of would be to use those little itty bitty hair clips, but I don't know if it would fasten tightly enough on to the bars to where it wouldn't slide... I don't think it would. Any ideas?

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
Re: "Stoppers" for hanging hammocks in CN.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Would a zip tie on two bars side by side do it?

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
Probably... but... then I'd have to make it super tight, and then once I'm ready to clean the cage, cut them, and they'll be hard to cut because they'll be so tight, and it just seems like a lot of hassle to do every time. :P

Offline RugRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
I use "blue tack". It's find of hard to explain, but it's almost like play-doh, only less crumbly and you use it to stick posters on walls (or somthing along that line). I just put a little bit on either side and it works perfectly. However really crafty ratties might scheme to chew on it... ::)

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
I would try the little hair clips.  Or maybe the tiny-sized binder clips?  Those should clip on pretty tightly.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I think they call it Dum Dum in the hardware stores.  I'm sure they have it at Walmart too.  Maybe in the hardware section.  It is used to hang things on wall or stick things in place.  It is similar to playdoh but doesn't dry out.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
I just tie on rubberbands and it keeps all my hooks in place. I have this same problem in my SP cage, and I use the rubberbands also.

pic

Lauren

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
Lots of good suggestions! :D I am definitely going to look in to these.

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
I found a package of name badge clips at WalMart that work GREAT. Cheap too!! They're sort of like little alligator clips with a bit of plastic loop for the badge, I just cut those off.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
Oooh awesome! I never thought of those. I know exactly what you're talking about! They're tight enough to not slide on the bars? That's awesome. :)

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »
The ones I have are, but I did see two different kinds last time I was there, so if you go that route, get the smallest ones you can find. :)

Offline AnimalHobby

• Find Yuki's thread in the Rat Care Corner!
    • Happy Rats Bedding and Accessories
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Just use 2 shower curtain hooks instead of one. Have one hooked around the corner bar and then hook the one that goes through the hammock onto the vertical bar of the cage as well as onto the hook that is hooked to the corner bar so that it makes it stationary.

Please tell me if that doesn't make sense, because I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure if I explained it well. lol
     <br />www.happyrats.com

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
Just use 2 shower curtain hooks instead of one. Have one hooked around the corner bar and then hook the one that goes through the hammock onto the vertical bar of the cage as well as onto the hook that is hooked to the corner bar so that it makes it stationary.

Please tell me if that doesn't make sense, because I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure if I explained it well. lol

:doh: Why didn't I think of that? That is waaay easy. I know what you're saying, I'm pretty sure! That's a very simple idea. Thanks!

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

That's what I do too. Or, I use zip ties on the vertical bar and just clip the shower curtain hook around that (don't tighten the zip ties all the way, leave a loop).

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
Using zip ties on the vertical bar is something I would have never thought of. Here I was, thinking that it's not going to be possible to figure something out, and everyone has really awesome ideas. Thank you! :)

Offline moonsingingfreak

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:32 PM »
This is a great thread, lots of good ideas. Will have to test some of these theories out.