Author Topic: 19 year old male cat w/ troubles - please help  (Read 1930 times)

Offline pepperannie

19 year old male cat w/ troubles - please help
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
I have a 19 year old male cat.  He sometimes urinates outside the box and lately he has poop accidents as well.  He was always a good boy.   He is down to one kidney and drinks alot of water.
Today, he was drinking water and then came for treats.  I found it odd but he only at a few treats and then went downstairs to his litter box.  He came up and was walking strange.  I bent down to pet him and see what was wrong and his whole back end scrunched up together and he fell to the side.  I picked him up and his heart felt like it was beating weird.  He started to howl.  I put him back down where he laid like if he could not move.  He stayed there and was panting hard.  I got my husband to pet him as I called the vet.  After about 10 minutes he stopped panting but remained laying for a good 5 more minutes or so.  He then got up and is acting like nothing was ever wrong.   I did find throwup downstairs.    He is eating again. 
the vet called back and said to watch him closely.  It could have been a stroke or seizure. 

Anyone ever had this happen?  what do you do?
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: 19 year old male cat w/ troubles - please help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
I havent had that happen but I would take him to the vet now.  FYI if your near a Banfield they are open on sunday. Hopefully it works out ok.

Offline ekw4petrescue

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Home of the Star Wars Rat Clan
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
I would have taken him to the vet ASAP, even if his behavior seemingly returned to normal.  If you haven't yet, it would probably be a good idea.  What you described sounded pretty serious and uncomfortable for him.  I hope he feels better soon.
Emily and the Star Wars Rat Clan

Offline pepperannie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »
Within 20 minutes of the episode, he jumped up onto the island chairs which are higher than a normal chair and was awaiting chicken.  He is back to his normal old self.  Being 19 years old, he is wobbly but his other actions are normal.  He is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping.   The vet called and said that I should just watch him closely.  That it could have been a seizure or mini stroke.  At his age, it is hard to tell.  It could be once and done or the start of something.   Like I mentioned, he is acting like his normal self now.
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
I wonder if he just hurt himself.  At 2am my old man cat flung himself off the end of the bed and was acting horribly strange. I thought he was having a seizure. I put him in the carrier and took him to the e-vet thinking his kidneys had shut down or something horrible.

The vet looked at him about an hour after it happened and he seemed fine and wondered if he got hurt.  Fortunately they didnt charge me.

Later I put the events together with the vets question in mind and realized that his leg slipped between the mattress and foot of the bed and must have wrenched his leg.  His reaction was his kitty way of swearing the pain off.

Who knows, too bad they cant talk.  :)

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
I would certainly take him to the vet right away and have a full exam and all of his bloodwork rechecked.

Especially since you know that he has kidney problems, already!
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson