Author Topic: Cage cleaning question  (Read 318 times)

Offline paax

Cage cleaning question
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
I know that some of the cages on this forum are easier to pick up to put in the bathtub to clean, but for those of you that have larger cages such as the CN and FN, how do you clean your cage?  The full clean I mean.  I end up having to take it outside to clean, but is there another way to do it?  Just curious.
~Emily
4 Rats: Alice, Angus, Anna and April; 1 Guinea Pig: Lennie; 1 Russian Box Tortoise: Lucy; 3 Dogs: Charlie, Adam and Milo; 3 Cats: Callie, Kitsa and Henry; and 3 Mice: Wacko, Yacko and Dot

Offline Suzy Q

• Twist-A-Roo!
Re: Cage cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »
Well, I've been using baby wipes so far.  :yelcutelaugh: I wipe the inside and outside of the bars, corners, etc with wipes and spray the pans with vinegar. So far so good. When the weather gets warmer, I'm sure I will wheel it outside and hose it off. Someone here recommended one of the car mitts to clean it. I may try that.
The boys...
Blue, Twister, Monopoly, Butterbean, Bear and Lucky

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
How I do it takes some time, but it smells great after.

The  FN can come apart, you can pull the the trays out, and even two of the doors and put them in the tub. The only thing you really have to wipe by hand are the 3 walls, and the top and the bottom. Or you could use a steam cleaner. :) I so need to get one...

Meh... I took my FN 142 outside to hose down, but the wheels broke. x.x
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:47:14 AM by PotHBP »
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
I know some people scrub it in place, using a bunch of towels to catch the water. So it's basically covering the surrounding area with a bunch of towels, scrub the bars, wipe everything down to get the soap off.

I've only done my cages [FN and a flight cage as big as an FN] once when I first got them, so I'm dreading having to haul them outside. There's no door to the outside that doesn't have a 20"+ drop.

Offline Shanna66

• Posts Too Much!
    • My myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
i take everything and everyone out and scrub it down right in my room with a tiny bit of bleach mixed with water then wipe everything down with just water.  it hardly takes any time at all

Pets name: Aiden
Adopt your own!