Author Topic: Superpet Cage [My first home]  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 1PD7

• Lovin'em
Superpet Cage [My first home]
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
I just got one of these for my 3 ratties, it's all set up and that's currently what they're living in.

I'm trying to think of a way to replace the shelve because the plastic shelves just aren't going to work, I have an idea to use a wooden bird ladder instead of that crappy plastic one. I plan on making or buying a hammock set and other lounging equipment but im not sure what would be the best way to set this cage up for my 3 girls. They move around fine as it is, i've got 3 hammocks in it for an easier way to get up and down. Not sure what the best thing to do is.
Female Ratties: Hooded Ikarus (6 months) Hooded Lolita (1 month) Hairless Scout & Peaches (4 months)

Male Ratties: Hooded Kodiak (1 month) Hooded Doc (2 months) Berk/Rex Baron (4 months) PEW Bubba (1 year 1/2)

Offline TnM

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Superpet Cage [My first home]
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »
I saw those in stores, I didn't choose that cage because the size of the drops off the shelves scared me and it looked hard to clean. If I may suggest, I've seen before on this site pictures of people using the 'storage cube' pieces, hung in the cage and covered as shelves and that looks like it would work really well. You could use vinyl sticky tiles to cover the shelves or I imagine pieces of plexi-glass or something along those lines. I hope somebody chimes in, I haven't done this otherwise I'd send you a picture.
3 Girls in QT: Shady and Misha(the old ladies), and Blue Fairy
4 Boys: Spaz, Brother, Buddy, Valentino

RIP: Memory and Rattie Girl, Tinsel(amazing monkey rat), Ruby(The Gentle Giant), Holly(lil' tilty holly jolly rattie) - Gone from sight but never forgotten.

Offline krazycatlady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
someone in my area was selling this cage on CL for only $40 and i was going to go pick it up but i ended up finding a cage perfect for my girls right now and eventually as they get bigger ill get them a CN or martins.
RIP Mr. Squishy, Coraline & Gaz :( Play hard, Mommy misses you.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
I cover the shelves of mine with fleece and clip it from the underside with binder clips. I like the plastic ramps way better than wooden bird ladders. The plastic wipes clean easily, while the wood in the ladders soak up pee and stink after awhile. I actually only have two shelves since one is broken but I have a hammock the size of a bandanna that is hanging halfway up to prevent any bad falls. There is an open spot on one edge for a ramp to come up. I can post a picture of the cage, if you want!

Offline 1PD7

• Lovin'em
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
That'd be awsome if you could post a picture of your cage.

Im either going to replace that plastic ladder with like a chute, tunnel type thing or just look for another plastic ramp because the other one hooked onto the other side of the platform and it didnt give them the option to get up into the hole. Im going to get some fleece mats to cover the shelves and probably going to buy a hammock pack or just get a bunch of different things from some folks on here. I was also thinking of just getting like a knotted rope to hang down from that upper level to replace the ramp. Just some ideas. Still looking for help though :D
Female Ratties: Hooded Ikarus (6 months) Hooded Lolita (1 month) Hairless Scout & Peaches (4 months)

Male Ratties: Hooded Kodiak (1 month) Hooded Doc (2 months) Berk/Rex Baron (4 months) PEW Bubba (1 year 1/2)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:24:43 PM »
If you flip the ramp so the diamond pattern is on top it will connect to the opposite side of the shelf and they can use the hole on it.
I have that wooden perch toward the bottom and they either get on that or just hop up to that shelf. They'll use the bars a lot to get around, too.
Here is my picture:

Offline JTO_

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got rats?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
You almost make me miss that cage!