Author Topic: Take a rat, Leave a ratůMeet the "boys" & Max (RIP) 03/19  (Read 2705 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Whatĺs that saying?  Take a penny, leave a penny?  Well someone suggested I just change it to rats for what happens at my home. LOL

Lose Tucker first , then a few days later Bronwen, his mom, is pts.  This week I am picking up 2 boys who are living in a new horrible torture device they call a hamster cage, and a rescue was to take them home and put them in with an older lone male they have.  Well the ôboysö ended up not having any gooliesůand they are about 3 months or so oldů
I am going to ask Dudders if he would like a little harem for himself.  :cheeky:

Then tonight Aki leaves us, and tomorrow a little old man named Max, who is a minimum of 3 will be joining us and likely be nursemaided by 3 year old Valora.  Max is a minimum of 3 years old and on his last days/weeks but needs a ratfriend.

Pics of Max when he comes tomorrow at noonish. :D

For now you can meet the ôboysö who have no namesů

The black hoodie is the dominant girl and test nibbles but she also will lie very still for strokes and pancakes too. :)

the little fawn hoodie is a little timid, but very sweet

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:55:32 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
Re: Pick a rat, Leave a ratů
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:15:25 AM »
Wow they are beautiful, and I am glad they have a good home with you!  :heart:

Lauren

Offline ratTaT

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont breed or buy while shelter pets die.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:58:39 AM »
I love the dark eyes on the light colors. :heart:

Offline Arda

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:05:14 AM »
Shelagh they are purty babies.  I am so in love with the fawn girl and that last pic  :heart: :heart:
Is that a Twitch homemade rattie?

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »
Shelagh they are purty babies.  I am so in love with the fawn girl and that last pic  :heart: :heart:
Is that a Twitch homemade rattie?

Actually that is a LeonaKitty Dilbert.   :wink5: Twitch sent me a baby rat to be companion to Dilbert but they had already knocked her to the floor.   :yelcutelaugh:

The exchange happened yesterday AT my vet's clinic, and she was kind enough to look them over for me in the back room.  The little black hoodie has a URI (sneezing, and lung sounds) but nothing desperate.  The little fawn started being noisy last night so they are both on doxycycline to start.

Here's their former home.  I call this cage the Hamster Hell Cage...does anyone know who makes this horror?

Offline ElizabethRose

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »
I can't believe rats where kept in that thing  :o

Pets name: Kiwi
Adopt your own!

Offline Suzy Q

• Twist-A-Roo!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »
Those cages are awful. So tiny and hard to clean, I would imagine. They are all cutie pies!
The boys...
Blue, Twister, Monopoly, Butterbean, Bear and Lucky

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
It looks like a S.A.M. cage, or maybe some alternate version of a Crittertrail/Habitrail.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
"........But it said 'Rat' on the box............"

Jeez, I'd be hard pressed to use that for transport!

I love the way the black hoodie is "holding" your finger.  Lookit the size of that mouth!
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »
Oh dear, that cage ... oh, that makes me so sad.  :'( :'( :'(

Good for you for taking in Max! I can't imagine a better retirement home for an old boy like him than yours. And he will get rat company! How awesome is that!

Can't wait to see some pictures of Max!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
Here you go Antonella  :cheeky:

Soo Maxxy has come to stay with Valora.  He's a boy who is well over 3, has HED and clubbed feet so bad that they cross in the back, he has scabs and scurfy skin that I will work on...itchy ears, itchy body...he loved his scratches and even forgave me the bath I gave him when I rubbed him in the towel...hehehe.

Max is over 3 years old and truly looks like it.  Unlike my 3 year old Valora who seems to have a new vocation of nursemaid.  But Max wants to move and will, silly boy likes to fall off the couch and go exploring the floor   :doh:

Meet Max.  :heart:

Max really shows off hockwalking to the extreme

His hind clubbed foot

Max and Valora

and after his bath, he was very glad to see her

And my silly wonderful girl, who absolutely loves pulling the stuffing out of the couch cushions...   ;D

She's so proud of her work  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pick a rat, Leave a ratůMeet the "boys" and Max :D
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
Aww Valora is adorable :)

Poor Max, he truly does look his age  :(

Atleast he has a little girlfriend now :)

(By the way Lilspaz, how many rescue rat's do you have now anyway?)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Chicklet

• MySpace
Re: Pick a rat, Leave a ratůMeet the "boys" and Max :D
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Oi! Poor Max looks very old, indeed.  He's very handsome for his age though:-*

And your little fawn is beautiful; she reminds me of my Mila  :heart:

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
Re: Take a rat, Leave a ratůMeet the "boys" and Max :D
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Awww Max. He's such a cute old manrat. I'm so glad you took him in so he could live out the rest of his life with a buddy and a wonderful home!
Custom hammocks <3 Add Ty's Rat Shack on facebook!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »
Well last time I looked Max had crawled into the snap-inn with Valora..awwww.

And the girlies are named.   :thumbsup2:  The fawn hoodie is sweet but retiring (she's sleeping in the hammock that fell off of the rat basket right now. Her name is Mia.  The black hoodie  :heart:  was either cuddled up on my neck or by my leg as I stroked her...she's been there for hours.  Her name will be Zoey.

They both have URI but have been started on doxy to begin with.

They really are lovely  :heart:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:22:39 PM by lilspaz68 »

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
 :thumbsup2: The names are perfect. Mia and Zoey. Has such a nice ring to it.

And obviously Max is in love with Valora.  ;D

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
They are absolutely precious. Poor old Max but he's in a good place now. Velora is being such a doll !

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
Only a rat person can put a grin smilee up next to a picture where the inside of a couch has been pulled out. Valora is hilarious!
Awww, Max! He looks stone old, that poor little guy. It is very kind of Valora to take care of him and to be with him. I bet he thinks he passed away and has reached paradise. Well, in a way... he did reach paradise! Paradise on earth!

I really like the names Mia and Zoey. They are very fitting names!

I am so proud of you for taking these kids in!  :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

:-* Just for you!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
Thanks everyone!!  I give Max lots of kisses and took him out again for scratches...he's soo itchy, scabby and scurfy!

And he is soo itchy he loves scratches EVERYWHERE!  I even put him on his back and scratch his belly and he loves it.  After some Ensure and a lot of scratching he was even bruxxing for me.   ;D

And to show you how special these little girls are, or at least Zoey...she went to him

Mia came to visit and gently groomed the back of his neck and around his ears.  Good babies!

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
Awwww, how cute!
That's the way it's supposed to be: old rat with younger ones so they can groom the oldies.

Is Max asleep on your couch? He must be feeling at home, huh? Very heartwarming!

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Oh that's so adorable. That's so sweet of the girlies  :heart: Max is living the high life. Got a girlfriend, young girlrats grooming him, scratches...what more could a retired manrat ask for?

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
The rats were sooo comfy last night that I curled up on the couch and slept with them for a few hours, before I put everyone away and did my nightly freshening of water bowls, medicating, etc :)

This morning Max discovered the joys of being syringe-fed Ensure.  I need to support his head and then he sucks it back.  :thumbsup2:

Another good scratching and then I was off to work.  ;D

I will fix up his and Valora's cage better for them tonight.  I will cut a piece of Coroplast for the bottom that I can wrap in layers of fleece, so he doesn't drag it around and get caught in loose fleece.  I will add a cuddle sack and see if he likes that instead of the low hung double decker.

I will also let him meet Precious since she's on my Oldie Care List too.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
    • Central Texas Rat Rescue
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »
Awww, poor ol' Max.  He looks like he can hardly believe what's going on in his life now.  What a lucky dude.  What's his story?

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
Awww, poor ol' Max.  He looks like he can hardly believe what's going on in his life now.  What a lucky dude.  What's his story?

Max was adopted from our local HS by a girl to be a companion to another rat.  He was found outside and someone took him to the HS, I met him then and he was well over a year old.  He was neutered to live with the girls she had.

One by one her rats have been dying off, until Max was the only one left.  He's been on his own for 2 months and just keeps plugging on so she decided that he needed a ratfriend and I have many oldies who can fit that bill. :)

I live for caring for these poor little old "itchy" souls.  He probably has no clue he's healing me as well as me helping him.  I was unable to do anything for Tucker, Bronny or stop the progression of Aki's PT, so itching, bathing, feeding and cuddling is healing my heart as well.  :heart:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
Max update:  He is very alert and responsive and has happy smiley eyes most of the time.  I caught him gnawing on a lab block this morning!  He was devouring his veggie oatmeal this morning ("pureed" kale/carrots/peas/spinach and a little vanilla Ensure).

I have an appointment for him (and Valora as companion) at my vets at 8:45 am on Saturday morning as I am very concerned about his skin.  He is scurfy/scaley/lifting skin ALL over, every part of his skin.  So I would like to know if there's more I can do for him.
Yesterday I would've been thrilled for him to make it to Saturday, today he is much more mobile, and I am confident he will make it to Saturday and beyond.  No more resp noises either :)

Pics later :D

He deserves to be celebrated for making it to 39 months of age!   :thumbsup2:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:25:59 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »
What a precious boy! And what a trooper. He seems kinda pitiful from the outside but you can see that he is a very happy man now. The pictures make me smile and cry at the same time. What a sweetheart  :heart: I hope something can be done about his skin. Shower him with kisses from me.
Valora cracks me up! What a spunky little girl  :yelcutelaugh:

Man, some people are so clueless about proper care. I hate these habitrails. I wouldn't put ANY pets in there.
The fawn hoodie is a beauty!

As always, you are awesome, Shelagh  :thumbsup2:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:40:41 AM by wonderrodent »

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline deborah!

• Got Rats?
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
As always, you are awesome, Shelagh  :thumbsup2:

That says it all. Max is lucky to have you (and you him!).

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »
Awww, Max!  Hopefully there is something the vet can do for his skin. Have you tried olive oil? Giving him some orally might work for his skin... Poor little guy...

You are giving him a lot of quality time right now. The now is what matters the most for someone like Max. I'm sure he has already forgotten his past...

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »
I am glad he had the Now.   :'(

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
After Max's sad loss I tried a neutral intro with Dudley...well that boy is only nice to me it seems...he was horrid, and he hurt little Mia.  He gave her one of those slices to the muscle that open up on the back.  Good thing there's not a lot of nerves or blood supply there.  She's fine, but he blew his chance at little girls.  He really wanted to hurt her. :(

So I had them on the couch with Valora who seems to love them.  Little Zoey even gently licked her mucky eye clean for her...awww
Zoey and Mia are both on baytril now, but Zoey is snuffling and snargling occasionally which is killing me to listen to, but she's healthy other than the noises.  No porphyrin, active, etc.

Zoey and Mia

Mia stretches waaay up and freezes

the timid one is now a very curious, friendly girl  ;D

And Zoey is the monkey, who reminds me so much of Brie, snuffling in my ear, licking my cheek, slinking along around my neck, asking for cuddles.  :heart:

Ms. Valora looks happy too   :thumbsup2: