Author Topic: Petsmart Grooming  (Read 3665 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Petsmart Grooming
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I know there are people here from all over, and I know there are people here from NY. I'm looking for a new, cheap place to get my dogs groomed. So far the Petsmart is Yonkers seems to be cheap. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in THIS PARTICULAR Petsmart, and if so, what are your experiences? Also, in general, how is the Petsmart grooming? Thanks.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
Re: Petsmart Grooming
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
I cannot speak for every petsmart, but i used to be a petsmart groomer and my location was excellent. It can very from store to store though.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »
I get my Saint groomed at Petsmart near me.  I like bringing her there because they do a good job and it is only $40 for a full brush out and bath.  Being a 150 lb dog,  $40 is a great deal! 

Offline Roosalii

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
Finding a good groomer just depends on your luck, and mainly avoiding big corporation grooming salons like that (I personally worked for Petco as a groomer for 5 years... mind you i'm only 23 :).  you may want to ask them how their pay is calculated.  groomers work for commission, and generally that means that if they are making 50% on a dog that costs you $30, they are only making $15.  ive noticed this usually causes groomers to feel they need to do more dogs in order to get enough money, and ends up in a cheap haircut.  i would just ask them that, then try to watch how the groomers' dogs look when they are done before committing.

my 2 cents :D

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
I don't know anything about Petsmart grooming. Remember that old saying "you get what you pay for", new and cheap might not be the best way to find a groomer. When looking for a new groomer, first go look at the grooming shop, ask for a tour and a picture album. Then ask is the groomer(s) certified in any way, hopefully by a recognized organization (National Dog Groomers Assoc.). I Googled grooming shops in Yonkers and like 10 came up including Petsmart. Check them out and see which one you liked the best. I would go with an indepentant grooming salon before the big box stores.
Good luck.
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »
the only thing is, i don't know that i fully trust independent grooming shops. Petsmart has soo many regulations regarding safety and if you are caught violating any of them you are immediately terminated. in a private shop there is not that system of checks and balance  and with no one watching over them a groomer could be tempted to cut a corner where safety is advised  in the name of making the job quicker or easier.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:48:46 PM by calicojenn »

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:22:26 AM »
I'm a petsmart groomer, and while I've worked with some inexperienced groomers, I wouldn't take my dogs elsewhere.

Petsmart has a ridiculous amount of regulations for safety and minimum standards as to the groom. You also have the big box backing you as a customer, as long as you're nice, you're golden. If you're unhappy, they will go above and beyond to make YOU happy and want to come back. I've worked for petsmart and i've been a private contractor, and i would rather work for petsmart.

There is NO nationally recognized or even state wide recognized certification for grooming. There are independent certifying companies (which you have to pay to be certified so it's not always worth it for GOOD groomers to get certified,) but outside of that there are NO minimum standards like there are for other service industries like hair dressing. Literally, anyone can buy a set of clippers and blades and open up a shop, they're groomers. Petco and Petsmart have standards before they let someone earn a commission.

Hopefully that helps your decision.

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »
All the independent grooming salons I know are owned/operated by one person. Therefore they are solely responsible for what happen's in their business and are very diligent about the safety and well being of the animals in their care. I would give my business to a small business owner over a chain store any day.

While rapforjane is correct about there being no national or state requirments regarding certification, I do believe that every groomers owe's it to themself
and their clients to be as educated as possible in their field.

I am a National Certified Master Groomer, certified by the National Dog Groomers Association. I was certified in 1994 and the test was grouling. I have also competed in National and International Grooming Competitions. I have been grooming since 1981 and have owned my own business since 1997. I highly recommend supporting women owned small businesses.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:48:14 AM by critterchic »
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline Roosalii

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »
the only thing is, i don't know that i fully trust independent grooming shops. Petsmart has soo many regulations regarding safety and if you are caught violating any of them you are immediately terminated. in a private shop there is not that system of checks and balance  and with no one watching over them a groomer could be tempted to cut a corner where safety is advised  in the name of making the job quicker or easier.

I second what critterchic said.  All those "rules and regulations" put the groomers at a disadvantage sometimes - which actually makes it more dangerous.  small shop owners have a LOT to lose, and they work HARD to keep their customers and earn their trust.  I have a lot of friends in the grooming business, and those that own shops are by far a lot more careful about what happens to the dogs than those who are, AND KNOW they are, backed up by the "big box"

Get it?

Well anyway, I'm getting too heated up about this convo.  lol  I really think you should check out small shops and just do research and most importantly:  the groomer needs to make you feel comfortable.  that's how you will know s/he is the one.  but I really would recommend staying away from chains.

Peace

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:09 AM »
Right now, the independent groomers are jacking prices, and it's not worth it. I have been calling around and checking prices, but someone said 75 dollars for a MINIATURE Schnauzer. I checked with Petsmart, and it would be about 86.00 total for a Miniature Schnauzer and a Toy Poodle. I have seen the grooming done, as it is open to viewing by the public, and the dogs seem happy, and the cuts turn out well. I haven't heard anyone having a terrible experience, and I think that it's true that with rules and regulations, there is more of a way to monitor what is going on. In the big companies, the customer is always right. In independent companies, in my experience, they don't always care about the customer if they have plenty of other satisfied customers. Anyway, thanks for all the help, and We'll probably end up taking them to Petsmart next time. :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:37:36 AM »
While rapforjane is correct about there being no national or state requirments regarding certification, I do believe that every groomers owe's it to themself
and their clients to be as educated as possible in their field.

I am a National Certified Master Groomer, certified by the National Dog Groomers Association. I was certified in 1994 and the test was grouling. I have also competed in National and International Grooming Competitions. I have been grooming since 1981 and have owned my own business since 1997. I highly recommend supporting women owned small businesses.

I definitely agree with you on that, I was going to be an IPG master groomer. But, really, grooming isn't my calling and I'm not going to be in the industry much longer. I wasn't saying that certification is worthless or anything, it actually makes you cream of the crop. In my experience, most customers don't realize how important that certification is and don't pay it any heed. =\

If I were going to stay in the industry, I would be getting a certification.

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Like the other responders, I don't have experience with that particular store, but Petsmart is always where I take my dogs to get groomed. They are great with the way they treat my babies, and they always do a great job. I say give it a try!