Author Topic: The case against declawing. =[  (Read 1910 times)

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
The case against declawing. =[
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:17:36 PM »
So, my kitten, Mia just turned a year old. She's not spayed yet, but she will be soon. My mom informed me that she will be getting her declawed as well.  :(
Both of my other cats are declawed, but I *really* don't want Mia to be declawed, because of how inhumane it is (I didn't know what it involved when the decision was made to declaw my other cats). My mom just doesn't care though. She says "they heal fast".  :-\ Apparently Mia has started scratching up one of our new couches. She has a sort of make-shift scratching post in our kitchen, but that's it, so I honestly don't blame Mia for scratching elsewhere!! We've done NOTHING to let her know that this behavior is wrong (well, not "wrong", but just misguided), so how can my mom blame her and ultimately punish her for this??
I've tried convincing my mom to at least try the other options, before we take such drastic measures, but she won't even hear me out. What *I* want to do, is put a scratching post by the couch, and if we see her scratching the couch, give her a little spritz with a squirt bottle. In addition to this, or instead of this, I would like to get her Soft Paws. I've told my mom that I would put them on her, she wouldn't have to do anything. It's like she doesn't care at all that this is verging on animal cruelty. She claims to love her, but honestly, if you loved something that much, wouldn't you do what you could to not hurt them?
I don't know what else I can do.  :-\ If anyone has any ideas on what I can say, or do, or even things I can show her, I would appreciate it, and I'm sure Mia would too...
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: The case against declawing. =[
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

I had a declawed foster cat and it was really sad watching her try to play with toys or grab string.  My other cat would pounce on a toy, grab it, and stuff it into his mouth, the foster just couldn't.  She'd try a few times to pick it up and get frustrated and give up.  She also fell a lot when she tried to climb the cat tree.

Just because an animal heals fast, doesn't validate putting them through surgery unnecessarily.  Try clipping her claws.  Take cat or person nail clippers and trip the points off of the front claws.  You can cut about half of the clear/white part, just stay away from the pink fleshy quick or it will hurt them and they'll bleed.  A cat with trimmed claws doesn't damage furniture or scratch people because the claws round off to nice blunt nubs.  I clip my cat's claws so I can roughhouse with him without losing skin, so I know exactly what the couch is going through and there's no problem.  If I wanted to be diligent about it, I would trim my cat's claws twice a week.  The other important thing would be to get a decent piece of cat furniture so your cat has a place it is allowed to scratch.  It's not hard to teach a cat not to claw furniture.  Just get a squirt bottle with water and leave it in the living room.  You can also couple this with voice commands or clapping to deter them.  You just need to have a place that is "safe" to claw so you're not just yelling at them for scratching in general.  Maybe try claw clipping starting now and show your mom how it fixes the problem without spending $200 to declaw her.  If your mom won't listen to reasons why it's inhumane, maybe she'll respond to saving money.   It will probably be your job to keep up with the claw trims though, so make sure you're actually willing to keep up with it.

Offline bssrats

• Blue Stone Siamese Rattery
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »
My sister's cat was declawed when he was neutered, and they damaged the nerves in his feet. His feet turn outwards when he walks or stands. I've also heard and seen cats having "phantom pains" after declawing, causing them to limp and chew at their feet.

Does your mom know they cut off a whole knuckle plus half of a second one when they declaw? It's really a lot crueler than most realize. I work at a vets and see it done, so I know how bad it is. Imagine having your fingers cut off and being made to walk on your hands.

Soft claws can work, if the cat will leave them on. My sister's cat wasn't taught to scratch on appropriate things, nor were appropriate things given to him. I have 4 cats and adopted out a fifth, and all are fully clawed and have tons of toys to scratch on. I have no issues with them clawing unappropriately. A squirt bottle can teach them not to scratch on bad items, and some fresh ground catnip rubbed on the appropriate scratch items does a world of good.
~Diana
Breeding Spolied Rotten Rats in Maryland
Specializing in Blue Dilutes and Siamese
http://bluestonesiamese.weebly.com
http://www.facebook.com/bssrats

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
Just because an animal heals fast, doesn't validate putting them through surgery unnecessarily.  Try clipping her claws.  Take cat or person nail clippers and trip the points off of the front claws.  You can cut about half of the clear/white part, just stay away from the pink fleshy quick or it will hurt them and they'll bleed.  A cat with trimmed claws doesn't damage furniture or scratch people because the claws round off to nice blunt nubs.  I clip my cat's claws so I can roughhouse with him without losing skin, so I know exactly what the couch is going through and there's no problem.  If I wanted to be diligent about it, I would trim my cat's claws twice a week.  The other important thing would be to get a decent piece of cat furniture so your cat has a place it is allowed to scratch.  It's not hard to teach a cat not to claw furniture.  Just get a squirt bottle with water and leave it in the living room.  You can also couple this with voice commands or clapping to deter them.  You just need to have a place that is "safe" to claw so you're not just yelling at them for scratching in general.  Maybe try claw clipping starting now and show your mom how it fixes the problem without spending $200 to declaw her.  If your mom won't listen to reasons why it's inhumane, maybe she'll respond to saving money.   It will probably be your job to keep up with the claw trims though, so make sure you're actually willing to keep up with it.

Exactly  :thumbsup2:. Just keep the nails trimmed. I don't know why people just don't take the time to do this and just go straight to declawing. If the cat's nails are dull...they won't ruin anything.

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:27:28 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure I lost the battle...she goes to the vet in 9 hours... :-\
Apparently, I "threw a fit", when in reality, I was just so upset. My parents wouldn't listen to me so I was yelling and crying (I get *really* emotionally invested in things lol), trying to get through to them, but it didn't work. They told me to shut up or go upstairs, and then my brother was making a scene being all like *SIGH* "Is she (meaning me), going to stop soon, or should I just go out and go drinking?" (What an a--...). I convinced my mom to at least ask the vet tomorrow about the soft paw/claw things, and when I said that I didn't trust that she would go into the vets with an open mind, she said that if I really mistrusted her that I should go with. I can't though, because it's really early in the morning and I have to take medicine at night to help me sleep. And then my dad made THE MEANEST comment: "I don't think you're as sincere about this as you want us to think you are" WHAT???? Yeah, I'm not sincere. That's why I have been yelling about it for the past half hour, getting everyone mad at me.
And then when I was trying to read off information online about it, my dad was cracking jokes and making fun of me and my mom was giggling. Then they yelled at ME for being disrespectful and rude when I got mad.  >:(
So, basically it's a lost cause. My only hope is that tomorrow the vet praises soft paws, and what I've told my mom sinks in.  :-\
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline Leonakitty

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    • Leona's Art
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
UGH.

Declawing is barbaric. I'm feeling sick to my stomach thinking of your parents being so callous towards you and so unable to reconsider. A couch is worth MUCH less than a cats right to be unmutilated.

Print this out and see if it helps.
www.declawing.com

It's written by a vet and may hold some weight.

Honestly, I feel ill.
I can only imagine how badly you must be feeling.
The thought of someone doing that to my Molly while I could do nothing to stop it is one of the worst things I can imagine. *shudders*

Poor kitty.

Offline Leonakitty

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    • Leona's Art
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:34 AM »
Show them this, too.
At least get them to look at the illustrations.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

"The inhumanity of the procedure is clearly demonstrated by the nature of cats' recovery from anesthesia following the surgery. Unlike routine recoveries, including recovery from neutering surgeries, which are fairly peaceful, declawing surgery results in cats bouncing off the walls of the recovery cage because of excruciating pain. Cats that are more stoic huddle in the corner of the recovery cage, immobilized in a state of helplessness, presumably by overwhelming pain. Declawing fits the dictionary definition of mutilation to a tee. Words such as deform, disfigure, disjoint, and dismember all apply to this surgery. Partial digital amputation is so horrible that it has been employed for torture of prisoners of war, and in veterinary medicine, the clinical procedure serves as model of severe pain for testing the efficacy of analgesic drugs. Even though analgesic drugs can be used postoperatively, they rarely are, and their effects are incomplete and transient anyway, so sooner or later the pain will emerge."  (Excerpted from The Cat Who Cried For Help, Dodman N, Bantam Books, New York).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:39:39 AM by Leonakitty »

Offline KatSnRats

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
I really don't understand why some people deem this necessary to own a cat.  Seriously, if you can't deal with the cat's natural instinct to claw things then DON'T get a cat....duh.  I have two kitties and I would never declaw them.  They have their very own chair to claw in our living room, and when people come over we explain to them that the chair belongs to the kitties...lol.  I have also seen this procedure done when I worked for the vet...it is barbaric, and the poor cat was in unimaginable pain afterwards.  Seriously sickening. :-[ :confused:
<br />Pets name: (Daedalus)<br />Adopted by: (Kat)<br />Adopt your own!<br />Owned by:  Six darling man rats and five hyper girlies

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »
Mia got declawed... :'( I was so upset...
She is really out of it. She has pain meds, but she has been miserable. At times, she seems almost high from the meds, but she has been spending her time laying down. She barely moves, it's horrible. My parents and brother are thrilled though. (About her being declawed).
I couldn't have done anything more to stop it, although I wish I could have. I guess the only thing I can do now is vow to never do that to any cats that I get later on...
Please send healing thoughts for Mia..she definitly didn't deserve this.  :(

Offline KatSnRats

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
 :'(  I am sending healing thoughts and prayers Mia's way!   :heart:  Hopefully she will heal quickly and painlessly... just give her lots of love and I am sure she will get through it, I will hope for her that she doesn't have any problems. :heart:
<br />Pets name: (Daedalus)<br />Adopted by: (Kat)<br />Adopt your own!<br />Owned by:  Six darling man rats and five hyper girlies

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
Lots of healing thoughts for Mia. Keep us posted on her recovery.