Author Topic: Nightcrawlers....blech!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Nightcrawlers....blech!
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »
So, I've given my girls lots of insects. Crickets, megaworms, mealworms, etc. Well, today at Wal-Mart I saw they had Nightcrawlers. 20 for 2.77, a good price. So, I thought I'd give them a try. NEVER AGAIN! YUCK! When my girls had megaworms (about the same size as nightcrawlers) they'd devour them in seconds, leaving no mess. The Nightcrawlers were everywhere! Guts, blood, dirt, yuck! And I JUST cleaned their cage! Needless to say, I won't be giving them anymore. Anyway, just wanted to tell my tale and warn people about the yuckiness.  :icon_puke_r:
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline momerath42

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Nightcrawlers....blech!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:02:40 AM »
My turtles love night crawlers!  They eat them like spaghetti, so there's no mess.  :yelcutelaugh:  Don't think I'd give any to ratties, though!

Offline ratTaT

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont breed or buy while shelter pets die.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
what are night crawlers? and they are sold at walmart? dead or alive? My walmart doesnt even have fish.. :eek:

Offline pinkie1205

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jack says you don't need thumbs.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »
They're earthworms, and yes they are alive.

Drache, I could have told you there would be a mess...LOL...
It's all just bricks in the wall

Offline Rmv1983

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »
Ewww. I can't stomach watching my girls eat meal worms, but they love them. I open the container and leave the room.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »
Oh my God I can't believe I opened this while eating lunch. Wow...goodbye appetite!
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »
 :confused: There is no way I am handing out bugs as snack to the ratkids. That just so grosses me out.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Well, I looked in the cage today and no more mess! It's darn near miraculous, but the girls seem to have cleaned up their own mess! LOL! I'll finish off this batch (15 more to go) and then stick to megaworms for the future. I'm probably going to start breeding them, as it will save me money in the long run.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Shanna66

• Posts Too Much!
    • My myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
lol, i was thinking of getting some for my boys, i also give my rats loads of live bugs becasue i breed my own super worms and mealies so i always have loads.  but thanks for the warning, thats one bug my rats will not eat.  though i would worry about getting any feeders from walmart.  but then again im paranoid

Pets name: Aiden
Adopt your own!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »
Usually I'm like that too, but they're not Wal-Mart "brand" they're from a feeder farm, similar to where we would get supers and mealies from, so I got them. I would NEVER buy fish from Wal-Mart for the same reasons I would NEVER buy fish from Petco or PetSmart, which is central filtration. This is because if one tank is sick all the tanks are at risk and there is no way to quarantine. I just shudder when i see people buying fish from a "healthy" tank, but then 2 tanks down has ich. People don't realize that every time you buy a fish from a place like that you risk contaminating your entire system.

Offline Shanna66

• Posts Too Much!
    • My myspace
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »
yeah, when i got my fish i got them from a place that has alot of seperate tanks.  it looks messy but they arent contaminating the other fish.
what brand so you get your feeders from?  my superworm colony is running low so i need to get some more becasue some of my geckos only eat supers and i dont want to run out.  the rats got into them and went to town.  do you order from a website or buy from a store?

Pets name: Aiden
Adopt your own!

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:08:36 AM »
I usually get them locally at a store called Petland Discounts because I know the source first-hand (Newman's Fish Foods). However, if I'm to start breeding, I may look for an alternative source online.