Author Topic: martins people!  (Read 760 times)

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
martins people!
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
martins for two rats?  help me out plz!
Zombie girl hammocks on facebook!
mommy to: Oswin Oswald, Rory Pond & Simon

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: martins people!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »
I have both the 680 and 695 and use either of them for two rats.  They are both great cages.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
I really like the 680  :)

Offline dreamz12x

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
Why not go with the Critter Nation? The Martin's look harder to clean. But if you're looking by price, then I'd say that's best.
Proud cat lover of 2 cats, George -n- Chloee.
And newbie rat owner of 2 ratties, Ruby -n- Jezebel.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
I have a 695 and I absolutely love it.  Sturdy but still lightweight and very easy to just stick in the tub to clean really well.  And with the full 2nd level it actually has more floor space than a single-level CN.

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Yes, (sorry to take the thread off topic, I know you were just asking about Martins)  I liked my single level CN and 695 equally.  The 680 is harder to compare for me because it only holds up to three rats, but I ADORE that cage as well.  If I only had two rats, I would get the 680.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline Smidge

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie Owned & Approved
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
680 for 2 ratties for sure. The 680's are very easy to clean, wipe down and decorate. They sit easily in the bathtub for deep cleaning. I have 3 girls in a 680 and I LOVE it. If you have the space and money, you can always upgrade to the 695 which is large enough for 5 ratties and it too is easy to clean, decorate and fits in the bathtub for deep cleaning.

Get powder coated  :thumbsup2: This is because just galvanized cages hold smells and the smells are very hard to get rid of.

Also Foster & Rescue Mom to many :) What girl needs Diamonds when she could have Rats?

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »
I've never owned one, but I hear from a lot of people that adding those cheap stick on tiles that Lowes carries makes it a lot easier to clean.

Offline SouthPaw

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:15:45 AM »
I echo the 680 (or 685 if you wanna dish out some more the full level).

Never had problems cleaning my Martins... it got a little trickier in the winter, but during the nicer months, the cage is light enough that it was easy to just bring it outside and hose it down.
The Rats - Finnick & Reptar
The Dogs - Juno, Lucy, Happy, & Cajun
The Cat - Jinx

Offline artsiekat

• Posts Too Much!
    • by artsiekat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
I just replaced my FN with a 695. I had a two level FN, but I was only using the top level. I live in an apartment where I don't have an outside hose and some steps up to my apartment. Taking my FN out to hose down wasn't an option. I loved the big doors of the FN and the storage underneath, but it really needs more shelves to make it usable for rats.

Because I had limited room to clean the FN and take it outside, it really doesn't work well for me. I would try to figure out what works best with your living arrangements.

The doors on the 695 are huge, I can fit my whole torso into the cage and the two full levels are very nice. :) And it is much easier for me to clean since I can get it in the bath tub. Both are nice cages and I think both look very nice.

Once you have the 695 all put together and you zip tie or c-ring every 4 inches, like the directions say, it is very sturdy. :)

Offline Rmv1983

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »
I suggest a flip top lid with the 680. I do not think I would have liked the cage without it  :thumbsup2:

Offline mcfate

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
i have a R-695.  i only have two boys right now.  there is a bunch of room.  but i also am able to put a bunch of toys in it.  my first cage cleaning is due tomorrow....so we will see how that goes!  so far i love it.  i want two more boys....there is plenty of room for four boys!

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:27 AM »
I am ordering a r 680 for 1 soon to be 2 males rats in a few minutes.

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
A 680 may be good for 2 rats, but I think, especially when it comes to Martin's, that you need to take into consideration your future in rat ownership. Is it possible for you to ever get more rats in the future? If so, you would need to get a bigger cage. Why not just eliminate that hassle now buy getting a bigger cage to start with? Your rats now will benefit from the extra room, and you won't loose money by buying a new cage and selling the other one for less than what it's worth because it's used.

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
thanks everyone for your answers.  i had a FN and it just was too much for my apartment building. i am down to four rats and two of them must live alone, i want to give the two babies a bigger cage and martins seem so nice :)  and right now this is the amount of rats i have and will not have more. 
Zombie girl hammocks on facebook!
mommy to: Oswin Oswald, Rory Pond & Simon

Offline Sun of Samsa

• Posts Too Much!
    • Leah on Veggies
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »
I have two girls in my old 695, and it's just fine :) They need a LOT of space to run around, and I have a 2-level FN but put them back in the Martin's because they just need to climb the walls!

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »
I love my R-680.  When I needed to upgrade, I got another one and Martin's customized it so I could stack it with my original 680.  It's a little shorter than the RUUD.
Ratless

Offline Blackmoons

• Forum Enabler
  • We can no longer live as rats. We know too much.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
Only because no one else mentioned it... I love my 690.  Its got less floor space than what others are recommending but I love it because I can fit it in the tub/shower easily and it takes up less space in my small bedroom (and dorm when I'm at school).  So if space is an issue, this cage might be for you. It can hold up to 3 rats but may be a little trickier to decorate than some of the wider cages.  Still, I love it.

You can see my cage here http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4050766.0