Author Topic: Opinions on the Martin's playpen! Should I buy it?  (Read 904 times)

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
Opinions on the Martin's playpen! Should I buy it?
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
So, I would really like to get the large Martin's playpen, because my rats have been destroying my bathroom and my mom isn't too pleased lol.
I was just trying to get as much feedback as I can (good OR bad), before I spend all that money! I do have to take alot of different groups out--how many rats can the playpen comfortably "hold" (that word doesn't sound right because they're not going to be living in it, but I couldn't think of a more suitable word...)? The largest group I have is 10, but they're really small girls. And the second largest group I have is 7 rather large males. Will they have enough room to run around?
Also, how secure is it? When they're in the bathroom, I don't supervise them the ENTIRE time, because I know they can't go anywhere, and I take some of that time to fill up water bottles/fill up food dishes/and spot clean cages without having to worry about them sneaking out.
Any comments about the playpen would be appreciated!  :)
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: Opinions on the Martin's playpen! Should I buy it?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »
You can keep ten in the Martin's pen. :) I've had maybe eight at the most in there and it wasn't too bad. Also, it's heavy so they can't lift it up at the bottom, and they can't lift the lid. I can leave the room and not worry when they are in the pen. I don't leave the house or anything, but I'll put them in there unsupervised while I clean cages and such, and I've never had an issue. There's a lot of room to put toys and such to keep them busy. I even hang corner hammocks in the corners and hang hammocks from the lid, and they love climbing up in to them and exploring everything. You can just throw stuff in there to keep them busy, it's great. :) I was hesitant to buy mine because of the price as well, but I don't regret it at all because I've gotten great use out of it. If you're going to buy it, definitely do get the large... it is worth the extra money, especially since you have larger groups.

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
You can keep ten in the Martin's pen. :) I've had maybe eight at the most in there and it wasn't too bad. Also, it's heavy so they can't lift it up at the bottom, and they can't lift the lid. I can leave the room and not worry when they are in the pen. I don't leave the house or anything, but I'll put them in there unsupervised while I clean cages and such, and I've never had an issue. There's a lot of room to put toys and such to keep them busy. I even hang corner hammocks in the corners and hang hammocks from the lid, and they love climbing up in to them and exploring everything. You can just throw stuff in there to keep them busy, it's great. :) I was hesitant to buy mine because of the price as well, but I don't regret it at all because I've gotten great use out of it. If you're going to buy it, definitely do get the large... it is worth the extra money, especially since you have larger groups.

Thank you very much for your opinion and ideas.  :thumbsup2: I'm definitly leaning more towards buying the playpen now.
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
I love mine!! I won mine in the HVRR raffle, but after having it, I would say it's worth the $$. I have 6 that play in it with plenty of room. I throw in different toys each time, sometimes the igloo and hammocks too. My kids can fit IN it with them, it's pretty funny looking.
Mine have learned teamwork and if I don't have the clips on the top, they can push it up!

I put it on top of a big blanket either in the office or in the living room. No issues with it so far.

Offline Sabricent

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:25 AM »
would you post a picture of it?
I love my pets.
I hate everyone else.

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
Here's mine! That's my 4 1/2yr old in there with them!

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:14:58 AM »
I adore mine and wouldn't give it up for nothing.  I have also been known to use it in the rescue as a back up cage when I am just overflowing with rats.  That is how much I trust keeping rats in it.

Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline PallidSilversky

• The beginning is always today.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
i as well have been thinking about getting one of these for my boys.

How easy are they to store? I live in a rather small apartment. Id have room to set one up while they were out, but wouldn't be able to leave it set up all the time.

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
Shoot, I think I'll throw one on my Martin's order, thanks for the pics everyone!  It looks like a good spot to do loooong intros in as well as a back-up cage as OldsGal said - I had a friend that did that and it worked well for as long as she needed it.
Currently smitten with Sandy, Dusty, Ringo, Pretty Boy, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

How easy are they to store? I live in a rather small apartment. Id have room to set one up while they were out, but wouldn't be able to leave it set up all the time.

The lid folds in the middle and the cage folds flat. It is long but once everything is folded it is very thin.

Offline PallidSilversky

• The beginning is always today.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

The lid folds in the middle and the cage folds flat. It is long but once everything is folded it is very thin.

oooh that's fantastic. I could store it under the bed then. Im ordering mine now too then!  :hyper:

Offline Sabricent

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
Wow, those are HUGE. I'm so glad you sent pictures, this would be great for my rats to be out but safe from other animals. They aren't very expensive either. It's on my WANT list.
I love my pets.
I hate everyone else.