Author Topic: Best Clumping Litter...?  (Read 4419 times)

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
Best Clumping Litter...?
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:14:04 AM »
Hello all... I want to know which brand and type of litter you think clumps best?

I currently use the Arm & Hammer brand Multi-Cat because I think it does the best job of smell cover up, but our neighbor gave us his self-cleaning litterbox, and his advice was to get the best clumping litter we could get to put in it.  IMO the stuff we use now doesn't clump spectacularly, but thereagain, I haven't ever used anything that clumped better.  I have only used something different thrice... we have tried the Super Scoop type of Arm & Hammer and didn't find it to be much different... we used Fresh Step once because I bought it in bulk at Sam's and we didn't like it as much as the A&H, and when we were fostering kittens and nearly dead broke I bought Tidy Cats and swore I never would again lol. 

So what are you suggestions?

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
Re: Best Clumping Litter...?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:38:56 AM »
My suggestion: The World's Best Cat Litter

No seriously, that's what it's called. ;)

Someone on this forum suggested it to me because I was hating clay litters. Too much fine dust for me, the smell of the scented litters always bothered me and the unscented litters had almost no odor control. I tried this once and was hooked. It's a little more pricey, but it is worth it, and lasts.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »
i love swheat scoop. I will be getting some for dodge ( I'm using some yesterdays news i had laying around  for dodge and while it is great for rats im not thrilled with it for cats.) Any way Swheat is the best thing i have found, it clumps well, is good with oders, smells good it's self ( it's made from wheat) Is flushable, but i suggest letting the clumps sit and loosen up for a minute before flushing.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
Worlds best and wheat scoop and any of the other "good for you" cat litters will not work well in an electric cat box. Unless the cat pees very little amounts at once and even then its marginal.  It turns into a smelly glob of cookie dough consistency mess.

I have been using an electic cat box for about 9 yrs. I have tried just about every litter out there and the best litter is no longer available.

I try to avoid litters with high silica (its really bad for your lungs) and baking soda (they dont need the sodium) I recently tried a few bags of cedar fresh scoop but it doesnt clump well and turns the litter box into modeling clay that smells like urine :-X

The best clumping litter with the least bad for you additives seems to be fresh step. Their fresh step cedar kind was the best in the electric box but they quit making it.  >:(

I browse this database regularly for litter thats not so hazardous but clumps well and has good odor control.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/prodtree?prodcat=Pet+Care

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »
Interesting... I didn't like Fresh Step when I tried it bc of the lack of odor control, but the truth is that I guess with three cats I suppose I really should expect much odor control from anything lol.  I will try it again.

Forkyforky, I have a question for you since you have actually been using an electric box for a while... do you know if it's okay to use litter additives like Cat Attract or litter fresheners with the electric boxes??

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
Its best to put the odor stuff on the bottom. It also might help keep the litter from glueing itself to the bottom. Thats why I liked the fresh step cedar, it clumped well, the odor control was good and it didnt weld itself to the bottom. The attract would go on the top.

If I was going to use odor control stuff I would make sure its safe. Just because they make it doesnt mean you should use it. The ingredients or even the product could be on the site I linked above.

With 3 cats you fill the bin real fast. Get some 4 gal trash can bags and line the bin with those before putting it on the box then you toss the bag of crap and reuse the bin.
You will be emptying probably 3-4 times a week depending on the cats.

You will want a scraper to remove the glued on bits and a solid scoop (large spoon) to get the clumps of stink that dont go right, I do that about once a week.

When you fill the box turn it off and on to get it to cycle to make sure you didnt over fill. If you do use the large spoon to remove some until it cycles right.

Also if you go on vacation make sure you fill the box a while before you leave to make sure it doesnt get hung up because of being overfull after a cat uses it.
The first box I had used to shut down if it got clogged, the one I have now keeps going back and fourth until someone fixes it.  :-\

I seem to have more problems than most because one of my cats pees as much as a human does which really challenges the clumping ability of the litter.  ::)
He is also the same pain in the rear cat that wont use the box because its not pristine.

It may take some attention at first. You will get the hang of the quirks of an electric box. It takes way more maintenance with 2+ cats but then you arent cleaning out 3 separate boxes every day either.

With one cat you fuss with the box about once a week. It helps to keep that in perspective when having 3 or 4 cats like I have.

Let me know if you have any other questions or problems with the box. Good luck

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:58:46 AM »
Some people i roomed with for a while had the auto kitty boxes and they used the generic petsmart clumping brand, it worked pretty well and they had multiple cat ( they didn't seem to believe in spaying either despite my attempts to convince them  :doh:)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
I tried the petsmart clumping within the past year. I ended up taking it back.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
I love this cat litter.  Best one we have used yet, by far

http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-ultra-p-2.html

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »
Thanks Ill try it. Looks like petsmart should have it. It says 100% bentonite clay so I would assume that means no silica.

Offline rhsm

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »
Hi I have been using chicken lay crumbles for years now and it is wonderful at clumping, easy to clean. I really like it. As far as odor control goes its pretty good but then my guys are on raw, high quality canned and a good dry so I don't really have a problem with smell to much so not sure if your cats eat a food that would make them smell bad how the odor control would be.
Its gone up in price a lot in the last year esp when I first started using it years back I paid $6 for 50lbs and now I am paying $12 and tax for 50lbs.

I like it and so do my kitties.

I also used rabbit food aka alfalfa pellets for quiet a while before this and liked it until one of my kitties decided he didn't want to use if anymore and thats when I changed to the chicken lay crumbles.

Anyway it clumps well and is easy to clean out once it has.

I tried every natural etc litters I could find in CA when we were there and the chicken lay crumbles were the best I found.
Just thought I would write and share my choice.
Hope someone finds it helpful.
rhsm

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
Thanks Ill try it. Looks like petsmart should have it. It says 100% bentonite clay so I would assume that means no silica.

Yup, petsmart is where we get it too.  Odor control is really good and the least dust of any litter we've used which I would think would be way better for them as well a s us.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
For us the odor problem is two things. My big boy pees as much as a human and his glands are in tact so it smells like cat musk really bad. Also when the litter doesnt clump properly it builds up an ammonia smell within 24hrs. I never used to have that problem until they quit making the litter I liked.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
My one little girl pees as much as a person too.  She makes big huge clumps and the odor is fairly strong right after she has gone, this litter has worked well.  See what you think.  I don't think anything is going to be perfect in terms of odor

Offline Washu

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »
I think I'm going to try that precious cat litter. I'm getting fed up with Tidy Cats Small Spaces. My cat likes to pee right in the corner of the box and it never seems to dry properly and falls apart like wet sand. Also, the scent has changed recently and it smells like a public restroom to me. I scoop religiously and I've noticed a change in how tight the Tidy Cat clumps lately. I think they've changed more than just the scent, because it has been getting tracked more than it used to.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »
My cat likes to pee right in the corner of the box and it never seems to dry properly and falls apart like wet sand.

THIS.  My A&H is pretty good at odor control for three cats, but it does that... I feel like it didn't use to... bleh

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
Be interested to hear what you think about this litter.  I know that my aunt who has allergies and often babysits for us, has appreciated the odor control and the amount of dust as opposed to other litters we've used.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
I still havent made it to petsmart. I need to soon.

Offline Washu

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 01:36:19 AM »
Today is day 2 of using the Precious Cat Ultra. I like the way it clumps. There is also way less dust than Tidy Cats, and it is nice to have an unscented litter. It also tracks less than Tidy Cats, and its pretty affordable from Pet Supplies Plus.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
I love pet supplies plus, unfortunately the closest is over an hour away.  :-\

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I actually love how the Cat Attract litter clumps.  I use the litter to keep my girls using the litter box consistently and have no issues with its clumping abilities.  I'd be actually curious to see how any of you with a favorite clumping litter would compare it to yours.
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
I actually might order the Cat Attract litter.  I have the additive, but I grow more and more convinced that it is not doing its job.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
Have never used the cat attract litter.  By the time I found it my problem girl was consistently using the litter box with the precious cats litter so wasn't going to try and switch it up on her but I wouldn't hesitate to try any of the other Dr. Elsey's litter, I've been impressed so far.

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 10:08:52 PM »
We used to use a mix of SpecialKitty and Feline Pine clumping (actually, Feline Fresh clumping, not the same brand) bu recently decided to switch since the clay is so bad for them. We barely have to toss and re-fill the boxes b/c we do raw and their pee/poo are much better than most cats* and the slightly more expensive mix we're doing now doesn't make a huge difference...

Now we've started to use Swheat Scoop (on it's own, I noticed the clumps ALWAYS stick to the bottom) and Clump & Flush (new brand to the store, I think.. made from corn).  Both are flushable litters (altho we never would, with four cats we'd constantly be flushing), made from natural products and much safer than clay.

The Clump & Flush is now my -favourite- litter ever! The clumps are immediate, there is a pleasant corn smell to the litter, and it's easy to scoop, PLUS, NO TRACKING! Or minimal, if any. I have yet to notice it anywhere.

The one down side? The cats didn't like it too much on it's own. So, mixing it with the Swheat Scoop solved all the issues. It helps the clumps not stick to the bottom and the cats use it with no complaints.

**As an aside, one of our cats recently started to pee on a rug (litter box was FILTHY... the SO was slacking) and at first we thought it was the dog! Lock the dog up, and there is still pee. I was -astounded-. Normal cats have that strong awful smelling pee, you can TELL when they pee elsewhere.. I had put this pee rug right up to my FACE and it just smelled like normal dog pee! No more strong-icky cat urine smell! HURRAY RAW!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »
Unfortunately the non clay litters wont work in the electric cat box. It doesnt clump well enough and the rake pushes most of the good  litter into the waste receptacle.

As far as urine smell. It depends on the cat. 3 of my cats have 0 cat pee smell and one of them is male. The other male that was an older strayy stinks to high heaven. One of the girls got locked in a closet for 2 days and I couldnt even tell where she peed except that it was wet. We feed cat food.
The vet said it has to do with the scent glands producing musk.

I finally got to load he box with the precious cat. I scrubbed and bleached it. The only thing Ive noticed so far is the clump did stick to the tines so it went to the receptacle and got pulled back into the box. That happens with all of them because one of my males pees about a cup at once and its very heavy to push out of the pan.

I should know in the next few days if it performs any different as far as making a pee mud pit.  :P

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
I gave up on using the precious cat in the electric cat box. I liked the odor control and lack of dust but the clumping was too good. It glues itself to the rake and bottom to much. In an electric box with 4 cats its a problem.

Im back to the Fresh Step for now.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 12:49:08 AM »
Fresh Step is working very well for us as well... although I never did get to grab some of the Cat Attract litter and try it.  I definitely will once we move, I'd like to be doing everything in my power to keep Belle from going other places  ::)

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »
I've recently gotten an electric litter box and the direction say to spray the tines and the bottom of the box with the nonstick cooking spray and then wipe it off.  this will leave a slightly greasy non stick surface.  It seems to be helping with the tines.

This is my first real use of clumping litter for any length of time.  I tried it years ago in a normal litter box and it tracked all over the house...hated it!   Now I use the tidy cat long lasting odor control climping and it works good.  I recently bought the immediate odor control becuz they were out of the long lasting odor and it doesnt do much for odor control immediate or otherwise!

I am not that concerned about the dust as my cats dont spend that much time in the litter box and it is in my laundry room.

Offline KittyKate

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
i used world's best cat litter for awhile and wasn't very impressed with the clumping, actually - i think maybe in order for a littler to be flushable, it can't really clump as well -- but at some point i'd like to try swheat scoop cuz flushing is so convenient!  right now i use the dr. elseys kitten-attract litter and it's helped make Trooper super-regular about using his box - in fact, he almost seems to love his box too much now - plays in it all the time  ::)  it clumps well.  interesting to hear that fresh step works so well -- i have some coupons for that so maybe i should try it out.

Offline 4JerseyGirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pawprinted
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
i used world's best cat litter for awhile and wasn't very impressed with the clumping, actually - i think maybe in order for a littler to be flushable, it can't really clump as well -- but at some point i'd like to try swheat scoop cuz flushing is so convenient!  right now i use the dr. elseys kitten-attract litter and it's helped make Trooper super-regular about using his box - in fact, he almost seems to love his box too much now - plays in it all the time  ::)  it clumps well.  interesting to hear that fresh step works so well -- i have some coupons for that so maybe i should try it out.

Actually... last time we needed litter I bought one of the "re-formulated" Tidy Cats... I had been thoroughly unimpressed with it before, but I like it now.  They had like three kinds, immediate odor control, long-lasting odor control, and the I think a multiple cat formula.  I got the long-lasting.  I think I may actually stick with that, even in the automatic box (although we actually haven't unpacked that and set it up again).  But Fresh Step definitely wasn't terrible.