Author Topic: Wet Cheek  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Amaya

Wet Cheek
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »
Rocket has some wetness under one eye. I've dried it with tissue a couple times, but it does come back. I just am wondering if this is something normal, or something to be worried about that I can quite easily take care of or if Rocket needs to be seen by a good vet asap. It is normal for him, being a dwarf breed, to get goo-ies on his eye (and he's very good about getting these cleaned off himself) but he has never had this wetness under his eye before.
Could this just be from hay dust getting in his eye? I was thinking this might be it, but again, this hasn't appeared before.

I've posted at rabbitsonline.net also and am waiting for (a) response(s). The sooner I can get advise the better, especially if this could be quite serious.
Pet(s): Rocket the bunny and 2 dwarf rat girls - Crystal and Suzie Snowflake

Offline Amaya

Re: Wet Cheek
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »
I've found some answers, received some replies, and have gotten ahold of Sue (owner of Rabbit Haven shelter and has worked with many rabbits).

It is most likely allergies now that it is spring, or debris clogging his tear duct. Sue thinks he'll just need some antibacterial eye drops or cream. I'm getting him in to see the vet on Tuesday. I got some recommendations at rabbitsonline.net, Sue confirmed they were good but recommended a great vet much closer to me and she's been working with a lot lately.

It seems the worst thing it could be isn't likely: Weird growth of teeth obstructing the tear duct. I don't think this is what it is because he's been eating very well and not having any trouble, but just in case, that's why he's going to the vet.

Wishing for the best. :)

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
It sounds like Sue knows what she's talking about, I was going to say the same things she recommended.

Please let us know how your bun does.
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline mareedee

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Hi.  I had a 6 year old Dwarf Netherland & around 6 months ago, his eye began tearing.  I also noticed some drool under his chin.  He was eating & everything seemed normal.  One day, I noticed he wasn't really eating well.  He seemed happy & played.  I took him to a rabbit savvy vet, & after she checked him out, she told me that he had a problem with his teeth & his gums were infected.  Dwarfs are predisposed to dental disease.  She said that when a rabbits eye tears, it can either be allergies or a sign of dental disease.  My baby had to have a serious dental procedure.  A week later, he died.  Please take your bunny to the vet to find out for sure.

Offline mareedee

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
My Dwarf's eyes started tearing about 6 months ago.  Everything seemed fine.  I took him to a vet. who said it was either a clogged tear duct or allergies.  As time went on, my bunny stopped eating.  I took him to a rabbit savvy vet & found out that his eye tearing was a sign that he had dental disease, advanced.  He went into surgery, a week later, I had to euthanize him.  Please take your bunny to the vet.

Offline Amaya

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
I just noticed that I didn't come back here to update everyone.  :doh:

Rocket was taken to the vet even though the problem had gone away and stayed away. Beth was really great and I would happily recommend her to anyone in the area. She gave him a regular checkup and paid extra attention to his eyes and he looks great so far as she could tell. She said that she'd write some notes and if the tearing returns, I can call to get eyedrops and an oral med without going in again. She said that takes care of the problem 99% of the time, but she didn't want him to be stressed from being medicated if he doesn't actually need it. Also, if it does come back and the meds don't take care of it, at that point she'll do x-rays to check his teeth and if it's the roots growing and obstructing the tear duct, in that case, the tooth would need pulled.

Oh, and for anyone in the area wondering, the checkup was $36.