Author Topic: Older rats health question  (Read 652 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
Older rats health question
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:58:43 AM »
 Mia and Lexi have been puffed up, sleeping alot and they have developed mites. ( my vet is aware and they are going to get there shot on Thursday). They are on the older side ( 3 years old) and i know there activity level is going to be low since they aren't feeling well and they are on the older side. Kayla and Sable ( two other 3 year old roommates) seem to be in good health ( no mites); Kayla had developed a head tilt around a year ago while i was in New york for a week. My vet has seen her and other than her head being a little tilty shes healthy and sable has had almost no health problems.

Romeo is going to be two in july ( he also develope mites and hasn't been active).. hes been puffed up and sleeping all the time.. hes going to see the vet for his shot on thursday as well. The other 3 rats are showing no signs of being ill.

Is there anything i can do to make the older girls feel better ( other than the shot from the vet thursday). I know when rats get older they slow down and want to sleep alot but how do i know the difference between sleeping alot because they are old and sleeping alot because they are sick?
I just want to make sure they are taken care of.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: Older rats health question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:28:39 AM »
Why get a shot?  Dosing them with Revolution will probably be less costly and less invasive/painful for the rats.

Sometimes being puffed up can be a sign of CHF.  Why is Romeo getting a shot - does he have mites also?
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
yep romeo has mites too i believe.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Ice

• Loving ratties for 18+ years!
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »
I think with older rats who are slowing down and sleeping alot, the best way to tell if they are just getting old vs getting sick is how they act when they are awake.

Do they act aware of their surroundings?  No falling or being confused?

Do they still interact with you and their environment?  Do they wake up/come out when you call them?

And, most importantly, do they still show interest in food?

As long as their overall personality doesn't change, I'd stay they are still happy and healthy, just older.  :)
Critters close to my heart.  <3
Kessen & Inde the Shetland Sheepdogs,
Ridley the bearded dragon,
& Merlin the cockatiel.

To all those who have come before and left their paw prints on my heart - you are gone but will never be forgotten.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
Yep they love to eat. They are going to the vet in the morning. I think they are just old and being lazy at the same time.