Author Topic: I'm going cage crazy! Help me choose?  (Read 634 times)

Offline vullnoid

I'm going cage crazy! Help me choose?
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:51:38 AM »
Okay, until tonight, when I found out about allpetsfurniture coupons and that I had previously looked in the wrong section of Craigslist, I had very firmly decided to buy a single level Critter Nation cage tomorrow when I get my paycheck. I have one big boy I adopted very recently, and will be getting one (or hopefully two!) little boys very soon. Then I heard about coupons, and found that Craigslist -does- have plenty of cages in my area! And now I can't choose. I'm going crazy!

Choices!
1) Single level CN. $145.99, plus maybe a coupon to get $25 off
2) Double level CN! Only with a coupon though, and even then... I don't know, it seems a little unlikely right now.
3) Used FN (double stack!) for $125 plus, say, $50 converting = $175. However I will have it right away.
4) This large bird cage. $149.00 Then: This large bird cage. They only list a phone number, so I'll see about calling them tomorrow. And another large-medium bird cage, no pictures, only a number listed.
5) Cage A (on the far right) in this listing. $100 for all four, so I don't know if they'd sell it separate and for how much. I've requested more pictures, measurements, and bar spacing. I'm thinking that one looks a bit small.
6) A two level ferret cage and four level ferret cage were advertised. I've requested pictures, measurements, and bar spacing. No prices listed.

So my questions. Would #4 actually work for rats? I know it's hard to tell without measurements and such, and I have requested those in an email tonight, but what experience have you all had with converting large bird cages for rats? Also, there are quite a few hutches listed. They all seem to be wood with wire sides, and they all seem to be for outside. Would these probably be bad cages for inside?

Any advice for a frantic cage searcher?  :love5:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:53:35 AM by vullnoid »

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: I'm going cage crazy! Help me choose?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »
Okay, but for $25 more, you can have the time to gather the money: http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-142/ 

If you can afford it, I would go for a FN/CN  I wouldn't bother with the bird cages at all, because I don't think they are worth the money, but I am picky  ;)

Have you looked at Martin's cages at all?  Those are the others ones I suggest and the R695 is in your price range and you can add-onto it later as well.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:08 AM »
I have an R680 and I love it. There are pictures in the home squeak home section.

Offline vullnoid

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:00:37 AM »
Oh, I didn't realize a new FN was only a little bit more. The site I was looking at must have had a higher price. :) Well, before getting an FN I think I'd get a CN, since it requires no modification. Even if I get just a single level. I can always gets a second one later if I need and attach it at the side, I was just thinking it'd be nice to have a stacked cage so conserve space.

I did look at the Martin cages, and was really considering getting one cage, but then I came across the CN and fell in love. I've heard that CN cages are easier to clean and maintain, plus they come on a rolling stand with store space underneath, and look cleaner to my eyes. :)

So is it difficult to convert a bird cage then? I was thinking I might like bird cages better than Ferret Cages simply because the bar spacing was already fine, and I think adding mesh detracts from a cage's appearance, but was apprehensive about how difficult it would be to mod.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:12:12 AM »
Cleaning the R680 is very easy to clean and maintain. Plus it comes with a removeable handle and I can carry the cage with one hand. I am pretty sure you can't do that with a CN 161. Plus I have a FN for my ferrets and the R680 is not very much smaller at all. I like that it has 2 shelves and ramps vs. the one shelf and ramp in the CN 161 or FN 141 So there is more usuable space in the R680.

So it being lightweight it is really easy to just stick the whole cage in the tub and throw a bucket of soapy water over it or w/e.

Some people take apart their CN/FN cages in order to be able to take it to the tub/shower to clean it. If you ask me that is way too much works. No thanx.

Another reason i like the R680 better is because you can add onto it if you like but the only way you can add onto a CN is by attaching the cages side by side since they do not make an add on yet and noone is even sure if the really will.

Offline vullnoid

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:26:12 AM »
Hm, what about the 685, the rat retreat? That was the one I was really considering before finding the CN. How many rats would fit in that? It looks a lot smaller the single level CN, and maybe even more crowded... Is the 685 better than the 680? It is cheaper than the single level CN--but then, maybe not if you include shipping.

One of the things that made me adore the CN was the bedding. I have no room in the freezer to put bedding, and my parents wouldn't let me even if we did have room. My rat a few years back ended up having mites, and I know now it was probably the Care Fresh. With the CN, most people use cage liners, and that also seems easier to clean on a daily basis, and less mess outside of the cage.

Just checked, and grand total with shipping for the 685 is $136.92, not quite ten dollars cheaper.

Offline mcfate

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:51:52 AM »
If you are going to use fleece and litter train them you still have to freeze the litter that goes in there litter box.  Although you will use  a lot less of it.  My boys got mites from the carefresh in the litter box recently  ::)  I switched to yesterdays news, but I still freeze it.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »
How many rats are you going to put in the cage? The R-680 holds 3 according to the cage calculator but I am not sure I would put 3 big boys in there. 3 girls easily or 2 girls and one boy maybe. The R-685 also holds 3 according to the cage calculator, the only difference is the full top floor instead of just a shelf like the R-680.

I do not use bedding in the bottom pan I use fleece/cotton liners and I think it looks very nice. The liners are reversible so it can be super soft red fleece up or awesome jolly roger cotton.

The pix aren't as good as everyone elses but they are here reply #312 towards the middle. http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4043541.300

I have since moved the double decker where the sleep sack was in the front right corner and put the sleep sack on the top shelf towards the back. I also put some toys in there and a comfort wheel on the very bottom next to the literbox where the opening to the wheel is facing the literbox.

If I measured right (subtracted how high the cage is without the shelf on the bottom) then the measurments are 26 height 24 width and 36 depth

The R-680 is 30 x18x 24 which means it is 14 inches smaller than the CN if I did the math right. The cage only cost me $90.00 (you have to get it powder coated) and it was $16.61 for shipping and $2.00 for insurance so it was $108.61

The other popular Martin's seems to be the R-695 which I like a lot. That cage can hold up to 5 rats according to the cage calculator. The measurments are 30x18x36 which makes it 2 inches smaller than the CN 161.

I just added that cage to the shopping cart and the total price including insurance and shipping is only $126.29 which I think is cheaper than any place you can get a CN from.

So if I had to pick I would pick the R-695 vs. the CN

Offline Xero

• Yay rats! :D
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:37:12 AM »
I don't know, I just wanted to add that I LOVE my single level CN and its frickin huge. I agree it looks really nice and its incredibly sturdy, not to mention it was super easy to put together. Plus I personally adore the shelf underneath!  :yelcutelaugh:  My ratties have a ridiculous amount of room to run around, and I have so much room to hang things I am just beyond happy with this cage. I wasn't sure by looking at pictures, but when I got it I was amazed.   :BlueDumboBigEyes:   I think I would definitely like a Martin's cage, and they are great looking cages and people swear by them, but I will always like the CN best and if I had a choice I would choose it over any cage. I had the same problem choosing cages, I'm just really glad I picked this one. No dissapointments at all. It even came with the tiniest hole in the plastic part of the upper shelf and I told them, and they straight up sent me another whole shelf. I like the extra space to hang hammocks though, so I haven't used it. Extremely nice quality. And about the washing, yeah it would be a pain to get to the tub (I'd never go as far as to take it apart), but as long as you don't live upstairs or something, all you have to do is roll it outside and use a hose or a bucket of soapy water to wash it. Easy as that really. Sounds about the same as lugging a martin's to the tub, rolling a CN outside. But maybe I'm just biased LOL!!!   :yelcutelaugh:

Great cage though, I just wanted to share my awesome experience with it.   ;D

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »
If you can swing it, go for the CN all the way! I have martins, a FN and a CN. The CN  is easy to clean and and you don't have to modify it which not only saves you a lot of extra effort, but makes it safer.

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
I'd definately go with either the CN or the FN. I am forever a FN fan, I love my FN! But then again, I have not yet had the pleasure of owning a CN, and I know that it would be ideal if you might possibly end up with youngsters in the future due to GGMR or anything, due to the smaller bar spacing. If I had the choice and could afford a new cage, I would probably buy a CN. But given my impatience, in your case I'd be tempted to get the FN if I could get it right away and not have to wait for shipping, lol. But keep in mind that modifying a FN I've heard is a huge pain. Good luck to ya', let us know what you decide! And don't forget the most important thing when you get your cage.... pictures! :wink5:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:48:27 AM by LOTR_Ratties »

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »
I did the two single level CNs side by side and I love it so much better than the double tall cages I have (CN double tall included)  So, if you have the space, it couldn't hurt to get just one level and then add onto the side later, but of course, it is much more space saving to get a double level to begin with.  I just bought one and it cost $240.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline artsiekat

• Posts Too Much!
    • by artsiekat
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
I used to have a FN, now I have a Martins R695. The FN isn't worth it if you have to modify it, you won't like it.

I have a small place with not a lot of floor space to move that cage around in, I also couldn't drag it outside to clean, so my R695 is much easier to clean.

If you get a CN, I'd jump for the double, the single isn't nearly as much space. The R695 is A LOT more space than the single level FN/CN, the cage calculater says it holds one less rats, but that's a crock. It is only a half foot smaller on either side and it's taller than the single level FN/CN, it has two shelves and two whole levels.

When picking a cage, I would really go for what fits where you live best. I really wanted a FN, because I loved how they looked and that they were rolling with storage space, but it turned out it really didn't work out with where I lived and it was really difficult to clean because of it. The Martin's cage is great because I have lift it and put it in the bathtub, which makes cleaning much easier for me.

Have fun deciding, I love getting new cages! :D

Offline rottiegirl24

• crittercookies
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
I want a cn or fn oneday. but till then i have a modified bird cage that works great a few zip ties and some shelfs and it made a wonderful cage for my girls. martains cages are very nice too i used to have one years ago when i had rats. it really just depends on what you want and how much time and energy you want to invest it took my mom a couple hours modifing the bird cage for the rats. it is a double stacked parrot cage converted int a single cage.
Stacey and the critters....

Offline vullnoid

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies! I have only gotten one email back (one bird cage already sold) so I'm going to wait and if I don't get anymore by this evening, I'm going to order the single level CN. :) It's the wheels and storage space that tipped me over to the CN, along with everyone's wonderful and helpful comments on all the cages. I do live upstairs, but there's a bathroom right beside my bedroom so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to clean.

If I get any replies on the ferret cages or the tall Cage A, I'll consider those first, but I really do love the CN.