Author Topic: FN...should I go ahead?  (Read 708 times)

Offline au_kitkat

FN...should I go ahead?
« on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm debating on a FN I found on craigslist.
It's only $50 for a double level but I'll have to modify it because my girls are little.

But I only have two little girls. And I'm not ENTIRELY sure my dad will budge on that...
Is it worth it? I realize that $50 is good for just about ANY decent cage, and this is a FN.
But I'm just afraid that it's WAY too much space for two girls..

Hmm.
Thoughts anyone?

ETA: Just got an email from the girl actually selling it. Apparently it's only the one level..
Sigh, that's slightly frustrating. But you can buy a level by itself to add on can't you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 02:28:10 PM by au_kitkat »

Offline digitalangel

Re: FN...should I go ahead?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
If you are worried about it being too big you could just not put the top on it, or use the bottom for storage. The bonus is, when you move out and you still want rats you'll have a large cage to get more with : )

Offline Chihua

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
 :eek: $50!? I'd get it for sure! If you think the second level would be too much for them, you could always block it off and get some males.  ;) Or you could just take it off and keep it in storage. $50's even freakishly cheap for the single level, so it's definitely worth it.

Offline au_kitkat

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
Just got an email from the girl actually selling it. Apparently it's only the one level..
Sigh, that's slightly frustrating. But you can buy a level by itself to add on can't you?

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
Yes, you can buy a FN 143 as an add-on later if you wish. And $50, even for the 141, is an AWESOME deal!! :hyper: I'd take it in a second, even if I did have to modify! I say go for it.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
Yes, I agree with the others here, $50 for the single level is a great deal!  We got our girls a double level FN a few weeks ago, and it was on sale for $180.  I would have been happy with an 'experienced' cage, but none were to be found around here for any cheaper than brand new.

Anita

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »
Here is a cost break down (hopefully it is helpful) $50 for the cage, $100 for the add-on (at the cheapest, there might also be shipping) $60 for the modifying.  That would come to $210 total for the double level, modified Ferret Nation barring no extra costs (I had to buy wire cutters, $25 and zip-ties $5).  A double level critter nation is $35 more new. (http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest-Homes-For-Pets-162-MDW1244.html) So, it depends very much upon whether or not you will buy it a second level and how much you can get it for.  The $50 is a GREAT deal though  :thumbsup2:
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
Now wouldn't you just know it!  GRRR!  After replying earlier to this topic, I go on craigslist and look for ferret cages again.  I've been told before that once you buy something, don't go looking anymore because you will surely find one cheaper.  Well, it happened.

I found an "experienced" FN142 for $50!  ARGH!!!  :doh:  So, if anyone is living around Kennesaw, GA, give it a looksie.  If I didn't already have 2 large cages (only 5 girls, and no more!) then I would be getting it.

Anita

Offline digitalangel

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
wish I could find cool stuff like that on craigslist : (

Offline au_kitkat

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:35:49 PM »
Now wouldn't you just know it!  GRRR!  After replying earlier to this topic, I go on craigslist and look for ferret cages again.  I've been told before that once you buy something, don't go looking anymore because you will surely find one cheaper.  Well, it happened.

I found an "experienced" FN142 for $50!  ARGH!!!  :doh:  So, if anyone is living around Kennesaw, GA, give it a looksie.  If I didn't already have 2 large cages (only 5 girls, and no more!) then I would be getting it.

Anita

Is is a listing for Marietta? Because that's the one I'm looking at and the girl emailed me and said it was only a one level. And now she's not sure if it's a FN or not..  >:(
She's a work so she's going to take a picture for me when she gets home.
I'm being persnickety about this. ;D

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Anita

Is is a listing for Marietta? Because that's the one I'm looking at and the girl emailed me and said it was only a one level. And now she's not sure if it's a FN or not..  >:(

Sorry I didn't get back to this last night, I didn't check the forum before heading off to bed.

Anyway, yes it is the one in Marietta.  She has it listed as a Midwest Homes, but the picture sure looks like my FN142.  I know it is a 'stock' picture though, so if she could get you a picture of HERS, that would be so much better.  Good luck!  That is a good deal for a single-level, but if it is a double... ALL THE BETTER for the price!

Anita

Oh, and how did YOU do with those storms last night?

Offline au_kitkat

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23:28 AM »

Anita

Sorry I didn't get back to this last night, I didn't check the forum before heading off to bed.

Anyway, yes it is the one in Marietta.  She has it listed as a Midwest Homes, but the picture sure looks like my FN142.  I know it is a 'stock' picture though, so if she could get you a picture of HERS, that would be so much better.  Good luck!  That is a good deal for a single-level, but if it is a double... ALL THE BETTER for the price!

Anita

Yeah..she says her camera isn't working, but that is says Midwest Homes for Pets on each shelf..but it's only the one unit. A little sketchy..haha
I think I've decided I'll just wait and get the CN when I have that money and then I won't have to bother with modifying.

We did just fine. They never seem to hit really hard right where we are.. *knock on wood*
How about you guys?

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
Yeah, if she is being sketchy about the cage, then I would also wait and get the CN.  Too bad her camera isn't working (hmmm), but oh well!

For the storms, we had LOTS of thunder, lightening, rain and hail.  My car was not safe inside our garage, so we really need to get it cleaned out so I can park inside again.  But no hail damage to the car!  I did put a plant outside yesterday and forgot to bring it back inside, which ended up with a lot of hail in the pot, interesting because none of the other plant pots had hail in them.

Anita

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Yeah, if she is being sketchy about the cage, then I would also wait and get the CN.  Too bad her camera isn't working (hmmm), but oh well!

I may have to change my vote and agree with gramma. The way she's acting is quite suspicious, and unless you can get some real pics out of her soon, I think I'd be inclined to wait for a CN myself. Sure hope it works out for ya'. :wink5:

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:58:22 AM »
Ooh can you add a 141 to a 142? I would love another level. I may have to snoop around some on craigslist.
[/quote]

[/quote]

We lucked out and were out of town but we came back to golf ball size hail all around the yard. I don't think our already cracked windscreen could have taken it :yelcutelaugh:

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »
Ooh can you add a 141 to a 142? I would love another level. I may have to snoop around some on craigslist.

[/quote]

We lucked out and were out of town but we came back to golf ball size hail all around the yard. I don't think our already cracked windscreen could have taken it :yelcutelaugh:

[/quote]

Wow!  Where do YOU live?  The weather radio kept saying the possibility of golf ball sized hail, but we only got pea sized.  Thank goodness!

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
We live in Douglas County but were up Dallas way when the storm hit.

We stopped our neighbor to tell them they had a light out  and she told us they just had hail and it was huge, like golf ball size. We just laughed and thought she was exaggerating until we walked up our steps to the porch and also looked out the back window. 

We were to tired to take pictures but we have some of a previous storm if I can find them.

ETA picture

Sorry to go off topic!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:22:04 PM by Cavy Carnage »