Author Topic: litter / fleece / wheel questions  (Read 307 times)

Offline earhtmother

litter / fleece / wheel questions
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »
Can someone please point me in the direction of threads dealing with

'litter" - what people use that they find the most economical both in the cage and in the litter boxes if they have them - I used rabbit pellets for the ferrets at on time and wonder if this would work for the rats. 

fleece - how do you fasten it to shelves, line cages etc.  Also if I go with all fleece which I am considering how do I keep the smell down as SO is barely tolerant of the rats now(read ANAL) so any smell has to be has minimal as possible.

wheels - I have wire wheels 12/14" which I know are bad but could I line them the way I did with my hedgehogs by threading "fun foam" strips, basket like through the rungs?

I have tried to search but get so many results I run out of patience long before I find the answers I am looking for (character flaw, sorry)

Elaine

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: litter / fleece / wheel questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »
I don't want to read through threads and put up links, but I will tell you some of what I do as that is easier for me  ;)

Litter: I only use it in litter pans, otherwise i use fleece.  I use the unscented yesterdays news that is marketed for cats, it works very well for me.  I previously used Aspen, but it always got stuck to the carpet and was too frustrating.

Fleece: I don't have smell problems if I change once a week, but I also have ferrets, so comparatively... I fasten mine with binder clips on levels and shelves, or I grommet my fleece liners and use lanyard hooks.  For my bottom pan with the drop-in wire cage, I just lay down a fleece blanket and pop the whole cage on top.  For the pans that slide into the cage, I sew a pillowcase style liner and fasten the open end with more binder clips

Wheels: I have heard of problems with wire wheels as well, so I just use Wodent Wheels.  I believe the cost isn't so bad and they are very quiet.  Many people also like Silent Spinners.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline mcfate

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
i would just use the search but only search in the rat care board.

Offline PKT

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »
My girls have had both wire and wodent wheels, and I am now getting rid of the wodent wheel to go back to wire.  They ran so much more on the wire wheel, and faster.  On the wodent, they just walk for 15 min or so and then get off.  I know some people have had bad experiences with wire wheels, but I prefer them now.  When I get the new wire wheel (they outgrew their small one), I won't cover it with anything.  However, you have to get wire mesh (squares), and not just wire bars for safety reasons.

Offline Nightmelody

• Posts Too Much!
    • Crossroads Rat Rescue!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
here are threads for the litter and wheels... i am too ADD right now to find the fleece, but will try later tonight or tomorrow..

Litter: http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4050329.0

Wheels: http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4053773.0   

good luck!
Founder, Crossroads Rat Rescue - Oklahoma http://crossroadsratrescue.webs.com/