Author Topic: Why do some people own pets? Warning Pictures  (Read 4543 times)

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
Why do some people own pets? Warning Pictures
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
I know its a pet topic but I think it can go here cause its a story and rant... but if not feel free to move Mods!

So I haven't been online for about 48 hrs, I knew I wasn't going to be yesterday but today was a huge surprise. I had planned to be all day yesterday at a rabbit show. I was at the show for a few reasons, my little brother was showing is pride and joy his mini lop, I was there for just fun as I love rabbits, and last to meet a lady that was surrendering two show rabbits a breeder wasn't able to keep because of cage space. Well the first two reasons went without any issues, but the last well didn't. When getting there, I help set up and groom my little brother's rabbit, sign him in (just generally help as it was his first show), and then went to find the lady (who may I add is a well known angora breeder in our general area) that was surrendering the rabbits. I quickly found the lady's area but not here but looked at her rabbits and quickly noticed some not so good looking ones (matted hair) and knew they were the others I was to get as she had told me they needed to be shaved.

Well the show went on, side note my little brother did good, didn't win but was up against some NICE rabbits. I later found the lady that was surrendering the rabbits and she quickly just showed me the rabbits, just by lifting the grooming table on top of their cage, they looked ok but not horrible. Well as the last show was coming around I went with my little brother to the show table and sent my mom to get the rabbits so we could leave right after. The Lady told us that she would shave them down at the show but when my mom asked her to shave them down, she said "I will let Sam do that...", I should of known that meant something bad. The Breeder quickly picked up the rabbits, not letting my mom touch them and stuffed them in our carrier and no other words were said.

My mom then found us to leave and relayed the whole story about the breeder on the way home and I quickly got both out to find two rabbits in the worse shape I have ever seen, I know that is my bad for not looking at them good before leaving but I know that is my fault. I also found that they were mis-sex, the one that I was told was a boy was a girl and the one that I was told was a boy was a girl... I also found that the female had cankered/infected ears (HORRIBLE), infected feet, Runny nose and eyes, a completely caked in pee and poop bottom and feet, a completely matted body to the skin, a horrible URI, and nothing but skin and bones (I could feel all her bones, head to toe) and the male being super skinny, caked in poop and pee body and feet, and matted head to toe!!! I started crying it was so bad! Our vet wasn't open but I went to her home to get ABs for them. When there she asked to really look them over and started crying and trust me that is nothing she would just do without reason.  They looked as if they hadn't been feed or watered at all in a month.

I came home and right away started shaving them down, and found even more issues, the female has a body score of 1, nothing more. I went a head and called animal control and since they were closed I had to call the police. Animal Control is coming out tomorrow to file the real report but did a temp with our police department. I took pictures of them head to tail and when clipping them down I am saving all wool. When starting to clip them, I found that their nails were 2 in long. I have spent the last two days clipping them down as much as I can, I even spent all last night up to 2 am in the bunny barn clipping them down as much as I could. I broke 4 blades and then had to go to just scissors to clip out mats. Right now I have clipped the male completely down minus a few spots, clipped his nails, cleaned his bottom, and shaved his ears completely down, for the female I have clipped her as much as I can and shaved her feet as she had the worse feet. We have discovered that the female is completely deaf as a result of the infection, it took me right around 5 hrs alone for her ears, it was scabs and a nasty thick white infection all the way into her canels.

I just have to ask how can people treat animals like that! How to people feel this is ok, to keep, let alone bring out to public? I am not sure where this will all go legally, but I hope it shuts her down for good! It would have taken months to get them like this! Basic care would of take maybe 2 hrs a week to just feed, water, and clean their cages (as that is what it takes here, without social/play/groom time). I know being angoras can get matted easy but that doesn't account for the not feeding them and not having them in clean cond.. To add on to the whole thing worse, the female has been housed with the boy, and is not in any shape for a e-spay. I plan to keep updates though this post for them and I am keeping my prayers with the little girl, but she is eating and willing to drink so that makes me feel a little better about it all.

Warning the pics are very sad!

This is the female, please note she should be pure white with a bit of orange on her back not brown, the pic of the inside of her ear is not great but shows how far the infection/canker as come out to the tips of her ears

This is the male he should be a light orange color, the one pic is a mat that covers his whole back!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:49:55 PM by RatletLover »
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
Re: Why do some people own pets? Warning Pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
OH those poor buns, at least they will be cared for now. That person should be ashamed and i hope they are punished.

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
Ugh those poor things. I am so glad that you rescued them and I am sure they are already so much more comfortable. How anyone can call themselves a breeder and leave animals like that.

Good for you for getting AC invlolved, hopefully they can shut her down and take all her animals from her, I am sure it won't just be rabbits she has been breeding.

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
Well I know for a fact she has French, English and Satin Angors, Meat Rabbits for herself and to sale and raises guinea pigs for pet stores. I didn't find all that our until the night before the show. I feel so bad for them, the male is bad but nothing like the female, I couldn't completely shave her because she is so skinny and I just kept hitting her ribs or spine and almost cutting her.... I know you can't see it in the pics but she is just all skin and bones, so bad that I can't stand to pet her its so bad, she weighs about 3 lbs where at her age and all that fiber she should be close to 10 lbs.
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »
You will of course keep us posted about the outcome of this.

All I can say is what everyone is thinking; THANK GOD YOU HAVE THEM.  You'll get AC to follow up and they will get access to the home/grounds to see what everyone else is like.   But thank YOU for doing what you're doing.  You can make such a difference for these two, and what a wonderful role model for your brother!
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:54:15 PM »

Those poor buns.  They are lucky to have made it to you alive.  I hope that breeder picks a new profession.  Obviously she can't handle animal care.  Keep in contact with Animal Control to make sure they are following up.  Your vet should file an official assessment of the health of those rabbits as evidence if this goes to court.

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
I will keep this updated as much as I can, I just feel so horrible about all this. Even my mom, who isn't a huge animal lovin kind of person, keeps calling to check on them. I have seen a bit of improvement since last night, odd to say but the health of a rabbit can be seen though their droppings, and it went from very tiny light colored droppings last night to nice round dark poops today! I felt the female's belly and she has a nice full belly meaning she is eating and drinking. I feel bad but their in the bunny barn for housing cause of the URI and they can't be in the house, but at least its temp. controled out there. I keep going to check on them.

We have documented as many pictures, some being the ones posted, and I do have a letter from the vet, to document weight, healthy, the female's ears and feet, and etc. I hope that AC doesn't just play this off, but if they don't call us back, I will call them.

I just can't stop thinking about what else she has at her home. I honestly think it has to be worse at her home, and everytime I replay it all in my head I start to notice other things, like the babies she had for sell had pee soaked feet (I played it off as baby rabbits can be nasty) and the matting on her show satin angora. It makes it a lot worse that she had the TOP French Ang. in the nation just a few years ago and claims to have been in angoras for 14 years, meaning she should know at least proper care.  It just makes me so mad!

Though the rescue and shelter pulls, I have seen some rabbits in bad shape but nothing like this, I am sure if we didn't get them at that time they wouldn't of made it that night, at least I know the female wouldn't of.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:03:41 AM by RatletLover »
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »
Oh mY goodness, those poor rabbits!!! it breaks my heart to see animals that have been so horribly neglected,
how can people do that?!?!?!
what the heck is wrong with them????

just boggles the mind

they are so lucky that they are with you now!!! bless you for taking care of them.

i hope they don't have any long lasting ill effects from the terrible trauma they've been thru, poor buns!!!

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 01:21:50 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank YOU for taking them in, taking care of them and filing the complaint.  I hope that AC follows up and at least goes out and makes sure the animals are okay.  I would love to see that woman shoved into a cage and treated the way she treated those bunnies...
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »
Small Update: Both are all good as of now, Both are still on ABs and the male is becoming social :hyper:! The female is not as social but coming around, but I understand with the horrible URI she has she isn't feeling good. I am going back tomorrow to the vet for a Rx for the discharge to help clear her out a bit in the chest and nose. She looks like she is feeling better, which makes me feel good about it, and not so worried! I am cleaning their cage daily because of digestion issues, and I have increase hay intake. They are free feeding as much as they want right now to help them gain weight faster. I will get some updated pics tomorrow.

Oh AC didn't come by but I called them, they have to contact the AC in the breeders co. before they can move forward, but I will make sure they don't let this slide!
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
Update? :poke: :poke:

How are these babies....and did AC ever do anything about that woman?
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline RatletLover

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
Their doing good, another vet appt tomorrow, the female has gained enough weight that I don't feel her ribs anymore and isn't as naselly (sp) from the URI.

AC hasn't called or come by, if nothing by sat. noon I will be calling them again.

I will try and get pics of them soon for a update!
A proud fur mom of Rats!

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
Update?
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline DorseyClairebelle

• Posts Too Much!
  • Clairezabobber
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »
Update?
Owned by Astrid  :duckie: Ro(a)ry :happy7:  Nolan :toothy11:  LuLu :binkybaby: and Scallion :snorting:  and Alba :director:.
                                                RIP darlings Clairebelle :love10: Guin :cat:  Dorsey :book1:  Alba :director: and Abdi :icon_cat:

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »

Any news on those poor buns?

Offline Rattiesfan

• Howdy!
    • My Rattery Webstie (Always being worked on)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
Update? :poke: