Author Topic: "commercial" sewers I have a question  (Read 906 times)

Offline earhtmother

"commercial" sewers I have a question
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
I am going to try and sew some hammies for my Ferrets and as noone seems to answer on the ferret board I brought my question here where I ALWAYS get an answer.  I have attempted sveeral hammomcks for the rats, they look a little rough but I am definately improving with practice : ).  What I nee to know is since there is such a large weight difference between the brats and fuzzies how do I go about making the hammocks etc strong enough to bear the extra weight?  Thanks for any advice that you guys can offer.

elaine

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: "commercial" sewers I have a question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »
How about doing a layer of fleece on the side they'll be up against and a layer of denim, canvas, or something similarly sturdy on the other side?  A lot of people use thin cotton with fleece for rat hammocks, so I think just modifying that with a heavier fabric would make much sturdier hammocks.

A word of caution, though:  make sure your needle is rated for heavy fabrics like denim.  I broke a needle on my machine sewing denim to fleece for the rats, and only realized afterward that it was a very thin needle that I'd installed when I was working on my wedding dress.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
The ferret hammocks I've made/sold are the same hammocks I make for rats. What are you using to hang the hammock by? If you're using tabs sewn into the sides, I'd just sew an extra line over it to really set it in there until you're more sure of your sewing skills. If you're using grommets, those are perfectly fine as is. If you're using one piece eyelets, go get the grommets.  ;)

Offline earhtmother

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
Thanks  for the quick responses, knew I could count on the members here to get me information quickly.  As for how I am going to hang them I was going to take a look at how the hammock my SO bought with trhe boys and see how the straps it has are done...all I can remember right now is that they are adjustable which I find a real help when I have to re-design the space and the fit is "off"  Kepp the answers coming if there is more you can never have enough information.

elaine

Offline Keltikka

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodents are People too!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »
You may also want to try adding a piece of felt as a liner inbetween the fleece and canvas/denim bottom - it makes it sturdier. I make hammies, cubes and tubes for a friend's ferret and find that the only major difference is size, not strength. I've made them using the same cotton I use for the rat's lighter weight hammies. You just want to make them a few inches bigger all the way around than the rat's hammies. They feel huge when you're making them, like you've cut them out wrong.  :cheeky:

If you  have 4 or 5  1 lb or 1 1/2 lb ratties all piled into a hammie they equal about 1 ferret anway  :yelcutelaugh: so just use your best judgement when picking out the fabric.

I find that the grommets work best. Most of them will go thru 2-3 layers of material and then you don't have to worry about the ties or tabs getting chewed up. You can use the plain shower curtain hooks (About $1.25 for a package of 12 at Walmart) or the carbiner clips found on key rings. (They're a little more expensive then the shower hooks but work better on some types of cage bars depending on the spacing). You can lengthen or shorten the hanging space by adding or subtracting the amount of hooks you use on each corner.

Another little "trick" - once you  sew the hammock with right sides facing and turn it outside in to finish it, sew around the entire square about a quarter inch in from the edge. It gives it a nice finished look but also gives it a little more tensile strength as well, as it sandwiches all the layers together tighter.

Don't forget to post pics once you make it!

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:54:06 PM »
I have both ferrets and rats, and I make hammocks for both all the time. aside from making the ferret beds bigger than the rats, there really isn't any difference. In fact, I find the hammocks for the ferrets last ALOT longer (they don't eat the hammocks like the rats do :BlueDumboSmileTongue:).