Author Topic: Plexi-glass barrier addition to my play table - opinions?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
Plexi-glass barrier addition to my play table - opinions?
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
In my rat room I use a 6 foot long by just over 2 foot wide by 2 1/2 foot high plastic folding table as my play area.  It's really the only play area that works in the room because I need the storage space that I get under the table.  I've been setting up the play area on the table for about a year now with no issues - until last weekend.  One of my youngest girls (about 10 months old or so) decided she wanted to see if she could jump to an air purifier that I have about 4 feet away from the table.  She didn't make it onto the air purifier, but she found out that the fall to the floor doesn't hurt.  Now if she's on the table for any length of time she just leaps out into the air, hits the floor, and runs off to play.  :doh:  The others haven't caught on yet, but I'm betting she'll teach them sooner or later.

My first thought to fix this was making my own martin's playpen type pen that's the dimensions of the table, but I really like the fact that I can just roll my sewing chair over to them and lean on the table and such.  Now I'm thinking about screwing a plexi-glass lip around the edges of the table.  I think that's what will work best, but I'm not sure how high of a lip I should use.  I don't want to make it too short, because then if they realize they can still fly it's all over, but I'd prefer if it was only about 6 inches so I can still lean into the table easily while sitting.  Any thoughts?
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline digitalangel

Re: Plexi-glass barrier addition to my play table - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
If she is determined, 6 inches will not be enough. I have a rat similar to yours, stayed in his cage forever (it was on a desk) and I could just keep the top open so he could explore the desk, then he realized he could jump off the desk and the carpet was soft to land on. So after that he would jump off of everything, the bed, the couch, desks, tables he just didn't seem to care. So far though he hasn't taught any of the other rats but he is VERY determined to escape. I think some rats just have the escape gene and others are content to explore their immediate surroundings.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
Hmm, I would make it higher.. I have plexi glass in the play room. Rats can jump at least 2-3 feet, so the plexiglass is a little over three feet. When they jump, they only get half way up. Even if they jump as high as they can, they can never reach the top.

I think the 6 inch plexiglass would slow them down, but I just think it's kind of annoying to keep pulling them away from the plexiglass. Lol.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:19:44 PM by PotHBP »
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the input!  :)

I guess my thought process to it was that the plexiglass would be a six inch (if I go with 6 inches..or 8 or 12..) addition to the already 2 1/2 foot high table and that might optimistically be enough to deter my jumper from trying to reach the ground then.  OR it could completely backfire and she'd still try to jump since she's had no issues so far and hurt herself in the process because of the extra height.  :-\
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Pink

• Posts Too Much!
    • Pink's Pretty Premades!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
I had a girl that could clear 3 feet without an issue.  I would make the plexi glass quite tall if you don't want her jumping to the top (which she will).

Pink

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
I had a girl that could clear 3 feet without an issue.  I would make the plexi glass quite tall if you don't want her jumping to the top (which she will).

Pink

I wouldn't mind if she jumped to the top of the plexiglass itself (and at 6 or even 12 inches I know she would easily).  I just wouldn't want her then jumping off the edge and onto the floor.  I'm hoping she'll see the extra 6-12 inches added onto the original 2 1/2 to be too high of a fall to the floor.

Offline Pink

• Posts Too Much!
    • Pink's Pretty Premades!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
If your girl is anything like my old girl was then 6-12 inches wouldn't work, but every rat is different.  She had free range of the whole house (there was no stopping her, she was far smarter than I) and she would do crazy things like get to the top of the tallest shelf she could find and do a flying leap at whatever may turn into another shelf.  She was a PEW, so I know she wasn't seeing what she was jumping onto.  Getting on top of the fridge was easy for her (blind leap across 4 feet of empty space from a tall shelf).  She pulled a muscle once, but other than that was a pretty amazing acrobat.  The things I saw her do I would swear was physically impossible, and I still don't quite believe myself that she did them.  Sadly, I lost her to PT at 16 months, I still cry every time I think about her.

Pink

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
Oh my... she jumped FOUR feet!? :eek: I guess I'm lucky my rats can't jump that high!
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor