Author Topic: Rescued a domestic rabbit tonight need help  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
Rescued a domestic rabbit tonight need help
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
I was on the computer and my mom taps on the window and tells me there is a domesticated rabbit outside that out cat found. The bunny was in the middle of the street and I helped my dad corner him. The bunny walked right up to my cat like they were good friends. I very slowly walked up to him and picked him up. He struggled a bit a kicked with his back feet but his nails are dull from walking around outside so he didn't scratch me. I have had a bunny only one time in my life when I was 8 I think and we gave him back to the pet store after a couple of weeks. I know they need food and Kaytee makes the best rabbit food. They need grass and hay right? Is that the same thing? Also one important thing can I feed him oxbow regal rat and mazuri lab blocks until I go to the pet store tomorrow afternoon and buy him stuff. Do they prefer water bottles or bowls. Can I give him a bath his feet and hind end are dirty and he has mats. He is a big bunny probably around 8 or more pounds and doesn't look like he is starved since he has been missing from his people. He keeps thumping does that mean he is in distress? I gave him some frozen peas and cucumber slices because those were the first things I could think to feed him and I don't think he has eaten any of it. Please give me any information you can because I need to know until I find his owners and if I can't find his owners we are going to be bunny owners  :)

All I have to say about this is thank goodness I have a QT cage but it's only barely big enough.

Edit: this poor little guy is sick he peed blood I wonder if that is why he is thumping. He ate a few peices of the oxbow so thats good, I know its not rabbit food but it is better than cat,dog or ferret food.

edit: just tried to clean his feet with baby wipes but he is too dirty. Noticed he is infested with ticks.  :( poor bunny.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:22:27 PM by Bloo Cheese »

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Rescued a domestic rabbit tonight need help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »
I know nothing about rabbits but this might help. http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:15 AM »
I know they need food and Kaytee makes the best rabbit food. They need grass and hay right? Is that the same thing? Also one important thing can I feed him oxbow regal rat and mazuri lab blocks until I go to the pet store tomorrow afternoon and buy him stuff.
Kaytee is one of the WORST makers of food for any animal. You can find Oxbow Bunny Basics. The type will depend on how old he is. If he is under 6 months, then he should be fed Oxbow Bunny Basics 15/23...which is their alfalfa based pellet. If the bunny is over 6 months of age, it should be fed Oxbow Bunny Basics T...their timothy based pellets. Since you say he is 8lbs....I would assume he is an adult rabbit.

All rabbits need hay. Timothy hay is most popular...but orchard grass, bluegrass, meadow is also fine. Alfalfa hay isn't need, it is too rich for most rabbits.

You definitely should not feed him any rat type food. Some grass will be fine for tonight, until you can get to a store in the morning. I would also not feed the rabbit ANY veggies/fruits for right now...his digestive system may not be able to handle it right now.

Do they prefer water bottles or bowls.
Water bowls are what most bunnies prefer. Crock type bowls are the best because they can't be tipped over.

Can I give him a bath his feet and hind end are dirty and he has mats.
I would definitely leave him be for now. Any more stress on him can send him into shock, if he isn't in shock already from being captured. Rabbits can have heart attacks easily. Baths for bunnies is not something that is recommended. If you want to clean him up in a few days, then just use a brush and a wet cloth. Rabbits have VERY delicate skin...so do not brush him hard to get the mats out. I would use scissors if the mats are really bad, but again....rabbits have delicate skin which can tear easily.

He keeps thumping does that mean he is in distress?
A thumping bunny can mean many things....he's really mad, scared, in destress, uncomfortable, etc.

It is probably late tonight, but you really need to get him into a vet ASAP tomorrow. The rabbit sounds like he is in really bad shape. In the mean time tonight or until you get him into the vet (the sooner, the better...seriously...rabbits go downhill very fast).....I would start reading on this rabbit forum for information....www.rabbitsonline.net . If you are planning on keeping him if the owners can't be found, it seems like you have a TON of research to do in a very short amount of time.

Oh...the rabbit could have escaped from a outside hutch...but a lot of the times idiot people will "set free" rabbits that they do not want anymore.

Again...a rabbit savvy vet is definitely needed right now. Please do get him in  :-\.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:42 AM »
I thought oxbow would be better too ecspailly their new organic stuff but this lady on here told me kaytee food is better. Something to do with calcium I think. Is the Zupreem rabbit food okay?

We can't really afford him right now, we can get him the basics but in 2 months we can afford him. I am going to ask my mom if she can take him to the vet and then we will pay her back. So regular grass outside is good? Will he be good in this cage for 2 months? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=17342+17345+17538&pcatid=17538

It has 2 shelves and no ramps.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »
I know nothing about rabbits but this might help. http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Interesting article thanks. I wonder if he has been eating those wild strawberries.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »
Did you look around at that site besides the urine info? There are care and feeding guides too.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
If you can't afford him now, what makes 2 months different? What if you can't afford him a year from now? Rabbits live to be 12+ years old...they are a huuuuge commitment. They also need to be spayed & neutered, that is NOT an exception.

The "bloody" urine could just be from a change in diet. Sometimes rabbit's urine will look rusty in color.

Whoever is telling you that Kaytee rabbit food is better for rabbits then Oxbow needs to do some research. Rabbits need pellets high in fiber....Oxbow is where it is at. Also, American Pet Diner and Sweet Meadows had really good rabbit food, too...I think you can only order it offline, though.

Zupreem rabbit food, I am not sure about. I would say no, though. There are very limited pellets out there that come in a timothy base. I would stick to Oxbow or the other brands I listed above.

Rabbits also can't have a sudden change in diet, it can cause them to go into stasis. If feeding pellets, you literally need to feed a few per day and gradually increase it to about 1/4 cup or a tad higher for a larger rabbit.

No, that cage is definitely NOT okay for a rabbit. Those levels are too dangerous, especially for an 8lbs rabbit. I would build him a NIC cage...you can read about those on the rabbit forum I provided for you. It will cost you around $30 to put up. A large rabbit needs a large space. Rabbits aren't exactly cage pets, either....they need daily run around time outside of their cage.

Again....get him to the vet today, please. I really can't stress it enough. If you can't take him to the vet, please turn him over to a rabbit rescue.

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
I'm coming in here a little bit late, so sorry if I repeat anything.

My first question: did your cat do anything to the bunny? Is there any chance your cat bit the bunny, (is it a little bunny or an adult one?). If there is a chance, the bunny should go on antibiotics.

I don't know where you live, but you might want to touch base with a local rabbit rescue. They might be able to help you out, or point you in the direction of a rabbit vet that will help with a rescue.

As undergunfire pointed out, a rabbit is not a pet to be taken lightly. They need vet care (and a specific rabbit vet) and they are COSTLY! My rabbit is my most expensive pet.

Try getting in touch with the House Rabbit Society and see if there is a local chapter that might be able to help you out:
http://www.rabbit.org/rescue/index.html
In the meantime, pick up a bag of timothy hay from a vet - it's not that expensive.
And as far as the pee, there is a good chance he/she is not peeing blood - rabbit pee can vary greatly in color, and if he was eating strawberries it could very well be that.

Call the House Rabbit Society and see what they can do, but if money is an issue, I don't know if a bunny is the best pet for you at the moment - they're certainly  not cheap.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
Money is only an issue until 2 months for reasons I don't want to discuss then it will never be an issue again. I know rabbits aren't pets to be taken lightly I have 4 ferrets and 2 rats I know what taking care of an animal takes. I have a 8 panel playpen I can keep him in. That will be better for him. The current cage he is in I have the levels really low so he is in no danger. My mom has a big heart for animals she will help me out on this. Besides after he is all vetted up and what not I might not even keep him if I find his owners. I am not exactly sure if he is 8 pounds he might be less but he certainly weighs less than our 11 pound cat and more than our ferrets. Our cat is a sweetheart, the only one we can trust we our ferrets unsupervised. You should have seen him interact with the bunny it was very sweet. The bunny is not visibly hurt. I looked at the Zupreem food and it looks great to me.

http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/small-animals/natures-promise%E2%84%A2-premium-rabbit-food

I wish I would have saved those PM's from that lady about the kaytee food and why she said it was so good.

I am going to call the vet today and see when is the quickest he can be seen.

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
OK, you know what your finances are.

The playpen that you have, it's like a puppy pen? As long as it is high enough that he cannot jump out of, that should be fine. I have mine in a Precision pen (my rabbit is pretty big).

Kaytee products, by and large, are not the best thing for our pets. Just like many people here opt for Harlan lab blocks for their rats over the Kaytee ones, most rabbit people I know buy Oxbow food.

I think the most important thing you can do is find yourself a good rabbit vet. Most general vets don't understand the specifics of rabbit care - and if you ever find your rabbit in GI stasis, you'll get a crash course in needing a specialized vet. The vet can go over with you what food is good.

As far as your cat, rabbits & cats get along fine. (I have 3 cats & they are all terrified of my rabbit.)

Good luck with whatever your decision is! Post a photo if you get a chance, too.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
I'll probably take a picture of him tomorrow. He looks kind of like this but not the same exact color and markings. http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/images/species/rex-rabbit.jpg  I would say he is a medium bunny. I have a great vet for my pets they see all the animals from the knoxville zoo and all the farms and what not along with every pet imaginable.

This is the playpen I have  http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767 there is 9 square feet of space.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
I think that playpen will be fine for now. When you do have money for a cage you could even add onto that with NIC panels. The panels are only $15 at Target if you have those nearby. But be careful with the square spacing, because some of them are too big, and bunnies can get their head stuck.

I feed Zupreem to my girls. My vet actually said it was fine. It is a timothy based product. You also need to get some good timothy hay, or other hay. Not alfalfa unless you're sure the bunny is young. Petland and I think petsmart carry Oxbow brand hay. My girls eat Timothy hay, and get orchard grass as a treat every now and then. Just for something new, but orchard grass can be fed.

I'm going to second not feeding any veggies for a bit until the bunny is feeling better. I'd also bring in grass from outside since it sounds like he has been out there awhile. Definitely try to get him to the vet very soon, especially since you say he has a lot of ticks. That could be a big reason he isn't feeling well. If you can get Care Credit you can do a payment plan at your vet. If not, I'd ask around and see who you can borrow some money off of.

Don't worry about spaying or neutering right now if you are planning on keeping him. I'd just focus on getting him feeling better.

Good luck!

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »
I went to the store and bought a bag of the zupreem which is timothy based and says it is free of wheat and soy which can cause digestive upset. I also bought a 40 oz bag of zupreem timothy hay which he is ignoring. I threw a handful of the food in the playpen (I read they like to forage for their food like that) and he is busy eating. I also bought him a huge iglo which I think might be too small for him. It is the biggest size igloo too so that gives you an idea how big he is. I am going to try to get as many ticks off of him tonight as I can. They are moslty under him arms and behind his ears.

On a side note my boyfriend got $300 extra dollars this month and he is unsure why but it looks like we can pay for his vet bill ourselves.

Offline brrrbrrrr

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
For great advice on rabbits, go on the house rabbit society website or red door website.  Timothy hay not the kind that starts with an a and greens like romaine lettuce and parsley are what your rabbit should be eating.  Pellets are only good for babies or when weaning a rabbit from pellet diet to greens and hay.  Oxbow makes the best kind though zupreem is okay.  Rabbit pee is normally orange.  Rabbits need to have constant access to food other whys they go into gi stastis that can kill them.  While I don't keep rabbits, I volunteer at a shelter that does and on occasion, foster them.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Pellets are only good for babies or when weaning a rabbit from pellet diet to greens and hay.

I have to disagree. Some rabbits can survive on only greens and hay, but should they have to just survive? No. Rabbits should always have a little bit of quality pellets in their diet. You can't be sure they are getting all the vitamins they need, if you don't feed a pellet. I feed 1/4 cup to my 3-5lbs bunnies daily, plus unlimited hay.

Greens are also not a necessity for pet rabbits. My rabbits don't get any greens and they are in great body shape and extremely healthy. My rabbits don't get veggies because they waste them after a week of having nightly salads, even with changing up the ingredients. Instead, they get treats of greens or fruits a few times a week.

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
I also give my rabbit pellets. There are pellets for young & growing rabbits and rabbits that need to put weight on, but they transition to a maintenance pellet.

Hay should be the majority of what bunnies eat, followed by pellets, followed by veggies, if you are giving them veggies. Every bun is different, you will find what works for you and yours.  Treats should be given very sparingly - not too much sugar.

I can't even imagine veggies (or anything ) being left behind in Gulliver's cage, he is a vacuum cleaner for all food, that is why he looks like this:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:49:47 PM by Eileen »

Offline deekaye

• Ritten
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »
Very cute. Pet rabbits should have daily time outside of their cages for exercise and socialization. However, rabbits are curious and love to chew and dig :eek:

Offline deekaye

• Ritten
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
Very cute. Pet rabbits should have daily time outside of their cages for exercise and socialization. However, rabbits are curious and love to chew and dig :eek: