Author Topic: Rabbit leaving droppings (Flemish giant)  (Read 2329 times)

Offline pancakeseatsoup

Rabbit leaving droppings (Flemish giant)
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »
So I am freaking out a little. My flemish giant is 9 weeks old. He has a cubes and coroplast cage but he kept escaping from it so we went ahead and enclosed an area around it for him to run around and then go in his cage whenever he wanted. He has plenty of space.

He has plenty of hay. I vacuum his area daily (sometimes more than once). I play with him ALL THE TIME! I love my bun and I think he is just a pudgy ball of love...

So anyways, in his area he has done really good using the litterboxes. He always pees in them and although there are sometimes droppings on the floor I think it has more to do with him kicking it out of the litterbox vs. him just hopping around leaving them.

Tonight though, I vacuumed. Well within like 2 hours I went down there and there were droppings all over in his pen. So then I picked them all up with a paper towel and put them in his litterbox. Well I went down there no more than an hour later and there were droppings like that all over again! I vacuumed them up and changed his litterbox a few minutes ago hoping he won't do it again but I don't know why he is doing that in the 1st place. Tonight is the 1st night.

The only thing he did today that he doesn't do everyday (but he does do it often) was go play outside. There have been no new animals or anything downstairs and he is not acting like he is stressed. He is a very relaxed rabbit. Why would he leave those droppings?

I am afraid of him becoming unlitterbox trained (I mean, I know it will happen later and i'll get him neutered but he is to young now!). Am I overreacting though? I read about "night droppings" and so is this something he does everynight and then he eats them or what?

I've never had a housebun that got to run around like he does.

Offline pancakeseatsoup

Re: Rabbit leaving droppings (Flemish giant)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:48:22 AM »
Wait...night droppings are the little "clusters"
This is not little clusters. This is round pellets all over the floor.

Offline sparrow

Re: Rabbit leaving droppings (Flemish giant)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
Rabbits generally leave little pellets scattered randomly to claim territory.  Perhaps your regular vacuuming has encouraged him to take claiming it more seriously... as long as they are not in a pile, but scattered randomly across his area, that's most likely the case.  If he were just going to use the bathroom, it would be a pile of pellets like in his litterbox.

~Nellie, Darcy, Willow, Fiver, and Thistle~