Author Topic: affectionate biting?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline vombatus_ursinus

affectionate biting?
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »
I'm a rabbit newbie. I used to be here on the ratty forum sometimes though. *waves*

So I'm working on bonding with my new bun, a standard rex. I let her have free reign of my bed and I try to interact with her, let her get to know me and get exercise and have fun. Tonight it was going better than ever. She was running around and binkying and playing. She still didn't want me to pet her, but I think it was because she was just having too much fun. But after a while she lied down stretched out and allowed me to stroke her for a bit. Then I guess she got a second wind, and started running around like a spaz again. But this time around, she kept coming over to me like she suddenly had an interest in me as a living thing. She started sniffing my hands and arms, but then she started biting me. She's nibbled me before, and I've always make a loud shriek to discourage her. But this time she just kept doing it. I kept shrieking, and she kept biting different spots on my hands and arms. Finally I picked her up and put her back in her cage. I hope that got the message across that hurting mom isn't cool.

For her I guess it's nibbling, but it certainly has the effect of biting on me. I wasn't doing anything but lying there. It seemed like she was trying to be affectionate. I know rats nibble when they're getting to know you, and I tolerated that with my rats because it didn't hurt. But with the bunny, it hurts. She even broke the skin at one point. What's with her? And what can I do?

Thanks!

Laura

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Re: affectionate biting?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »
Well with everything you described it seemed like she was trying to get you to stroke her again. One of my rabbits does this when we are laying on the floor together and my arm is getting sore from petting her so I stop for a minute to rest it she will bite at my hand/ arm or whatever she can reach that is on me. At first I made a noise, then it got to me walking away from her, then to shooing her into her cage (she detests being picked up). Now I am just to well trained and start to stroke her again :yelcutelaugh: I know I shouldn't but well I can't resist.