Author Topic: I can't beleive him.. Help? =/ Update: His rabbit gave birth!  (Read 3182 times)

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
I just can't let this go any longer. So my dad has two rabbits, right? The problem is he keeps them in a small dog crate.. I don't know much about rabbits, but I think they would need more space than that. It's so small, I wouldn't house two rats in there.  They do get let out, in a play pen. Still looks a little small. Ugh! I love my dad to death, but I'm very disappointed by what he's doing. Any advise to explain him that they need more room?  :-\ Like I said, I don't know much about them.. but I know they need hay, which they don't get. They also don't have any kind of hiding place so they can feel secure in.. The room he has them in is cold, too.. =/ Also, I think they are boy/girl.. Which makes this situation even worse. Gah. Why does it have to be this way?  :doh:

I don't live with my dad, I only visit when I can.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:10:35 PM by PotHBP »
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Re: I can't beleive him.. Help? =/
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
If you wouldn't house two rats in it then 2 rabbits certainly need a lot more room. Does he have a dog? If not you could buy some cube panels and make a larger cage for him. Or even try to find a large dog crate, anything bigger would be better than the small crate they are in now. Also rabbits need constant access to hay, it helps keep the teeth trimmed (believe me, if they get to long they then need rasped down and it costs a lot of money). As for the hiding places, it would be good if they had one but in all honesty my rabbits have a few places they could hide but never do. You could tell him to just drape a towel over one side of the cage, just be careful in case they start to chew on it.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
Re: I can't beleive him.. Help? =/
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »
Yeah. I'm giving him an old dog crate (and an igloo) I don't need anymore. It's not much, but it's better than the one he has now. I think he could afford a bigger cage if he wanted too, though..
Oh.. I was right about them being male/female.. He has 6 babies now.. :( but luckily, he seperated her from the male rabbit. He was told by a person at the pet store to seperate the babies from the mother and feed them with an eye dropper..? Is that right? =/  Anything I should know..? I'm worried!!!

No he doesn't have a dog.. but he has a cat.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:08:27 PM by PotHBP »

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Re: I can't beleive him.. Help? =/ Update: His rabbit gave birth!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
What the heck? Call him as soon as possible and tell him not to remove the babies from mom. What was the reason they gave for that? That has to be the stupidest thing I have heard a pet store person say. If he has already removed them he should really wipe a dry cloth over the mom and then rub the same cloth over the babies so they smell of her so hopefully she will accept them back.

He really needs to get her spayed though, its like a 75% chance she will get uterine cancer. Obviously don't until the babies are weaned though.

What does he have the male in now? You should maybe print out a few sheets on rabbit care and give them to him, he seems just ignorant as opposed to knowingly putting them in a to small cage.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »
Oh.. Wow. He was told that the mother would eat the babies..? :-\ I thought it was kind of suspicous when I heard him say that.. I'm going to look up more info.. *Sigh*

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:06:17 AM »
How does she think wild rabbits survive? Gah. Occasionally a rabbit will eat some or all of the babies. This is normally when a baby is dead or sometimes during stress. He just needs to keep it as quiet as possible and she should do a great job. Maybe a baby will die but it has a lot more chance with its mother than a human and a dropper :doh:

Had he already seperated them? Chances are more slim if he has but in all honesty they are probably all going to die if he tries to hand raise them. Good luck!

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:08:21 AM »
Ugh. I will try to tell him that. =/ Thanks...

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »
Ugh.. I just.. want.. to... SCREAM!!!! I don't know why he even got rabbits in the first place!!!! Ok, so he has them outside.. The male is in a small playpen, the female is in the same cage. There's cyotes, raccoons and other wild rabbits out here!! He is continuing to refuse to spay her.. ugh... I can't beleive this is happening.. THEN he said "oh, it's just nature taking it's course!" When you adopt pets, it's YOUR responsibility, you do NOT "let nature take it's course!" I told him that he should put them inside, he said they'll smell. Right.. I'm sure if he cleans up after them good enough, they won't!  I can't stand it anymore. I tried not to let it bother me, but this is not right.. not right at all! He also plans on selling them next week!! My rats were weaned at 5 weeks, I don't think bunnies get weaned at 2!!! I just want to go back home.. and never talk to him until he realizes that what he's doing is wrong! I mean, it's my birthday for crying out loud. I was so looking forward to see him for the summer.. Now I don't want to anymore. >.>

I did get the mother with the babies, though.. and rubbed them with a dry wash cloth.. =/ I hope they live and she accepts them. I don't know.. She seems very stressed out to me.. I had to wear gloves to touch her.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

I know I sound like a baby, but I HATE THIS. I was looking forward to a FUN summer.. and then THIS had to happen!! >.<

Btw, incase I get the wrong information.. What age do they wean at, and when is it time to seperate male from female..? I read they wean at 5-6 weeks, and they don't get sexually active until 4 months. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:35:58 PM by PotHBP »