Author Topic: PLEASE HELP I don't think the rabbit babies are going to survive.  (Read 3971 times)

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
I don't know what to do!!! The mother doesn't seem to want to take care of them. She moves every time they try to nurse on her! One of them already died! Is there anything I can do before they ALL die?? My dad isn't home right now..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:02:05 PM by PotHBP »
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
Re: PLEASE HELP I don't think the rabbit babies are going to survive.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »
Usually rabbits only feed their babies in the early morning and dusk.  When did she have them?  They may be ok.  I lost 4 out of 5 the day a litter was born.  The other lived but the mom only feed her in the morning.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »
She had them on the 14th. =/ My dad was told to seperate the babies from the mother by someone in a pet store, so he did.  :doh: Anyway, I put them back together last night.. He also put them outside.. but I put them in the garage.. It's better than being outside in the cold and rain. apparently, he doesn't want them smelling up the house. >.>
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:52:38 PM by PotHBP »

Offline JuliesZoo74

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
Have you checked them in the morning or night for milk bands?  Just like baby rats they should have the white milk bands on the bellies.  She will only lay with they for a really short period of time and then stay away from them. 

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »
Oh.. I'll have to check.

Edit: I'm not sure if they have it or not.  ??? When I had baby rats, it was obvious if they were being fed or not.. But I can't tell with them..

Oh, great. My step mom is telling me that she thinks dad doesn't want them in the garage, either. Sheesh, my God! He wants them to freeze outside? How heartless. If that's the case, I am NOT going to help him anymore.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:25:15 PM by PotHBP »

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
Well really you need to get all the rabbits out of this situation. No chance you can take the rabbits in? If not here is how to take care of the babies if you are sure the mother isn't feeding them.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/orphan.html

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
I was considering that.. It's just.. I have enough pets as it is...

But dad said it's ok for them to be inside. As long as the sides of the cages are covered with plexi glass. *sigh* The babies don't look great.. They're weak, inactive and cold. :( I don't think mom is doing her job! *Goes to check out the link*

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
You said they don't have hay, so what has mom made the nest out of? It may just be because she has nothing to make a nest with so the babies are getting cold.

Really your father doesn't seem to care so they have a much better chance with you. Even if the babies survive, if he sells them at 2 weeks they will probably starve to death anyway. Maybe its best they die now rather than hang on until they are older. I know that sounds cruel but if he carries on the way he has been with care for them, its best they don't suffer long.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:57:19 AM »
Just newspaper.  :-\ (with soy ink, of course). My Step sister seperated them from their mother and won't listen to me. -.-;; She didn't even want to give them a hot water bottle to keep them warm, then she goes and talks smack about me to one of dad's friends.. trying to make ME look like the bad guy here.  ::)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »

*hugs*

If you can take those bunnies, please do.  You don't have to keep them.  Just get them to a rescue or the SPCA even.  It sounds like they aren't being cared for by your dad, and they would be better off rehomed.  Are there any rabbit rescues nearby that you could ask for help?  Even if you don't save the babies, and we know you tried your best, at least the parents could be saved from having to go through this again.

Sometimes there isn't much you can do to help a situation and you have to let it go.  I understand that you are trying to make the best of a bad situation.  Sometimes it's out of your hands and you just have to walk away from it.  I'm sorry that this has to happen within your family.  If you have to leave things as they are, I suggest trying to get away from the situation entirely, but I don't know if that is possible.

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:31:51 AM »
The babies didn't make it. I don't plan on visiting him for a while, if ever. Why the heck did he have to do something so stupid? He told me himself that he didn't care if the babies lived or not. He didn't care if they had babies (even though they spay rabbits for free!) he said he wanted to SELL the babies once they got old enough to make a few bucks. And even though they were inside, it was very cold. You can't keep babies alive if they're too cold.. and how are they supposed to digest their food right? My God. My mom can be annoying at times, but at least she would never do anything like this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:45:00 AM by PotHBP »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
I'm so sorry.  *hugs*

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »
I am sorry they didn't make it. I am assuming he still has the parents? You really need to get them out of that, the same situation is just going to repeat itself. Even if that means immediately taking them to a shelter.