Author Topic: Vegetables are okay?...right?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline gottaluvthem

Vegetables are okay?...right?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
I got my bunny ~3 weeks ago, the owner had her on; rabbit pellets, alfalfa, and a handful of vegetables daily (she doesn't eat it all). Since this is my first and only rabbit I've continued this diet which seems to be working great for her. My sister loved my rabbit so much she decided that she wanted to buy one, I'm not sure where she bought it (off someone, pet store, etc.) but whoever it was apparently told her not to feed the rabbit vegetables because "there is too much water in vegetables".
Was this person nuts? I thought vegetables were great for rabbits...

I've been giving my rabbit; mini carrots, broccoli, and romaine lettuce (never the round stuff). Should I stop this?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:36:28 PM by gottaluvthem »

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Re: Vegetables are okay?...right?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:53 AM »
Rabbits under 6mo. old should be free-fed alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay as well as other types of hays. They should not get veggies until they are over 6mo. old. When they are over 6mo. they should switch (gradually!) to timothy based pellets (1/4-1/2 cup daily) and alfalfa hay should only be a treat as it is too rich for older rabbits. Stick to timothy, orchard, brome, ect.. Hay should be given on an unlimited constant basis (for all ages!!). Dark green leafy vegetables are the best, things like: green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, romaine, basil, parsley and cilantro. There are others.. google 'rabbit forbidden food list' to see what they shouldn't have. Carrots have a lot of sugar so feed those as a treat but not too often.
Things like iceberg lettuce have basically no nutritional value and can cause diarrhea which can be fatal for a rabbit as they have such sensitive digestive tracts!

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
I am going to have to disagree with Heidi about vegetables. It is normally around 3 months when you introduce veg into a rabbits diet. Obviously start off slowly and gradually introduce a variety of things into the diet.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
Hm, I've always read 6 months but I'm new at all this rabbit stuff. Definitely introduce any new veggies slowly.