Author Topic: *edited for clarity* NEW Ferret/Critter Nation Shelves=DANGEROUS  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
On June 20 my ferret Loki was caught and injured from the NEW  supposedly safe Ferret Nation Shelves. If I was not home or could not hear her she may have died like the ferret in the posts below. Here is Loki's incident: http://ferretharmony.com/viewtopic.php?t=1691

I posted this on all the ferret forums I am a member of and a girl reminded me that Critter Nation's have the same shelves as Ferret Nations and I know tons of you use both cages so I thought I would post here as well.

Recently the same thing happened to a ferret who was stuck hanging from one all night and later died from the trauma. Below are the posts of 3 different threads I will try to label everything as clearly as possible if you have any questions or it is still not clear please let me know

cross posted from Ferret Village Forum (you need to be a member to read actual threads):

Subject of thread number one: WARNING!! Ferret Nation shelves can still be lethal!

Post 1: I just got a call from a shelter in desperate need of my FN shelf covers (with the front corner pockets & rr elastics design).
a client who adopted 2 ferrets months ago has a FN with no shelf covers & found her ferret hanging from one this am. The ferret WENT ALL NIGHT hanging there by it's foot in pee & poop not to mention a possible broken leg and trama to the body. She will hopefully make it through the horror at the VETS!.

Post 2: I have heard this before and ferrets have died from the the effect- even the newer shelves STILL have metal areas that the toes can get caught in as the decline the shelf & ramp without protection.
Whether you buy from ME or ANYONE else- PLEASE be sure to use shelf covers that stay in place and i suggest Ramp pockets too.
I am posting this everywhere i can. Great cage but this flaw is unacceptable! We are writing Midwest.!! I suggest anyone else do it too. Rose @ LFFR

www.littlefeetferretbedding.org

Post 3: The shelter operator that adopted the 2 kids out is compiling a letter.
I will get the info and foreward -just have been out straight with stuff- It should be on the Midwest site also.
Please -let Angie & more bedmakers know-

Post 4:  We FN (and CN) owners need to write them & tell them our fuzzies are all at risk!!

MIDWEST Customer service contact
site info:
http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/Information/CustomerService.aspx

Post 5: squishy506 wrote:
"I don't like cloth covering my shelves or floors as I clean them with vinegar every night, but I did notice that Midwest didn't really do anything to fix the toe dangers. I suppose if we all wrote to them asking for them to change their design, they might. But I contacted them, and they told me I had the most up-to-date design.

Just stuff some fleece in there, and the gap goes away."

Nat, sounds simple but its also the metal bars that secure the plastic to the actual shelf that is also a danger.
If a lot of people write- they will have to make a change!
so far as the FERRET- The shelter Mom has not heard a word from the ferret mom and is not able to get thru to her. I hope it is not the worst.
Shelter MOM will try to contact her again tomorrow.

Post 7: The little girl is still not doing well- she was found to be anemic, no movement in her rear legs, dehydrated and has an ulcer from the trama.She is not bouncing back- she needs lots of prayers for the best outcome .

Thread number 2 subject: PLEASE HELP THIS STOP-SHE DIED this am from SHOCK

Post only 1: am in tears- i just got a call from the shelter operator where she was adopted out from- she died in her daddy's arms just a half hour ago.
I am so upset- i am told she was 4 1/2 and full of life & happiness before this incident-her adopted name was Spike-( formerly Rikki)
Please post where ever you can- write MIDWEST FERRET NATION HOMES-this is unacceptable
info@midwesthomes4pets.com

Rose -now crying for unnecessary this loss

Thread number 3 Subject title: UPDATE: Ferret nation shelf problem resolution

Post 1: I just received a call from James Windgate of Midwest cages RE the meeting on resloving the defect in FN shelves.
He told me - they believe they have come up with a plastic surround to enclose the gap that now exists. They will send final draft to their team for production in China. He will keep me updated and asks for patience as they do care and will resolve the issue.
I will keep you all informed as i hear . I am not letting this slide as long as i can do something to help protect the lives of Ferrets!Rose
www.littlefeetferretbedding.org

Post 2: I believe when they get it to the point of distribution- that they will have a method to contact or be contacted. anyone with FN probs can contact them at :
info@midwesthomes4pets.com

So I have learned NEVER leave your pets in the cage without the shelves covered.

Also another thing to think about someone mentioned is covering the bottom storage rack. Loki sprained her ankle and got a limp (she was fine in a few days, she doesn't have much luck does she?) while playing to rough down there with the others. Right now I am using large bath mats to cover it which works GREAT and completely covers it. In the future i am going to be buying actual floor mats that fit the bottom level of FN/CN that clip into place and match the rest of my bedding. Totally not necessary though the bath mats do just fine.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:26:01 AM by Bloo Cheese »

Offline saddiedog

• Posts Too Much!
Re: NEW Ferret/Critter Nation Shelves=DANGEROUS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
Oh my god! I am shocked not only that this could happen but for it to happen multiply times and lead to a poor animal's death :'(  I am so glad Lokie is O.K.   So they're toes are getting caught where the ramp attaches to the shelf? I haven't seen one in real life and I think that's right but not quite sure, just want to be clear for when I make the liners. I can't imagine a rat's toe being as big as a Ferret's but that's not going to stop me from covering it up 24/7. Thank you so much for sharing this, potential disaster avoided ;D

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
I was one in the first wave to rush to get FN's for my rats and the shelves have horrified me for years.  It's not just the gap on the inside (ladder side) that's dangerous, it's also the gap between the outside of the cage and the shelf itself.  Covering the entire shelf in cloth does not remove that gap (unless you cover with a very thick towel, eg.).  Dempsey got his head stuck between that space as he was exploring it for the first time the other day.  

I gotta say, it was very nice when a big-wig from Midwest joined Goosemoose and talked with many of us on our suggestions a couple years back.  Hence, the CN was eventually born.  So yes, they DO listen.  Just wish someone would make the perfect cage...at a price everyone can afford.

Too bad SuperPet, Martin's, and Midwest don't collaberate and create a think-tank.  

Robin

SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »
Yup she was caught by only 1 toe and hanged there where the ramp attaches to the shelf on the other side where the ramp was not just until i had enough time to react.

My worry with rats is that they will get theur entire foot or leg stuck and hang there and if someone isn't home they might chew off their leg to free themselves or inflict a mighty painful bite to the person trying to free them. There is plenty of room for a foot or leg to get caught.

If you use these type of shelf covers http://www.littlefeetferretbedding.org/apps/webstore/products/show/493161 then it DOES  cover the gap. Also you can use a pillowcase and slide it over the ENTIRE shelf plastic and metal and cut holes where the shelf attaches to the cage.

Was Dempsey hurt? I hope he is OK.

Offline Macie_and_Emma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
The original post is not very clear - where exactly is this dangerous spot that toes are getting caught?  Sometimes I don't cover my shelves, but I went and looked at the CN just now and don't see any place where the kids' toes could get caught... so just curious what I'm missing so I can keep an eye out and make sure it's safe.

Offline saddiedog

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:16 PM »
I was one in the first wave to rush to get FN's for my rats and the shelves have horrified me for years.  It's not just the gap on the inside (ladder side) that's dangerous, it's also the gap between the outside of the cage and the shelf itself.  Covering the entire shelf in cloth does not remove that gap (unless you cover with a very thick towel, eg.).  Dempsey got his head stuck between that space as he was exploring it for the first time the other day.  

:o now i'm afraid to put them in there. :(

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »
Dempsey wasn't hurt.  Luckily my puter, which I live on, is in the rat room, and I put his cage by my desk, so I saw it as it happened.  I sat watching him and saw him try to pry himself between the cage side and the shelf...he was trying to escape (he can't stand to be away from me).  I held my breath for several seconds, but he did get himself back out of that squeeze.  he tried it again a couple more times til I started squeaking bloody murder at him.  In the 3+ years I've had the FN, he's the first rat to seem interested in *that* gap.  Sheesh.  If it's not one thing, it's another with the shelves.   

Saddie, wedge fabric or a pvc pipe against that side of each shelf if you're concerned.

My favorite shelf covers don't fit properly because they shrank like mad in the wash, otherwise I think all the potential gaps would be shored up much better.

I also cover my ladders. 

I read they did change the shelving design a bit, to try to fix the gap problems.  Hopefully things will just get better and better.

Robin
SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
The ENTIRE shelf is dangerous and they could be caught from all four sides.

However Loki was caught in the gap where the ramp attaches to the shelves. If covered with the 2 types of covers I mentioned then the shelves should be safe. I was cleaning the cage at the time and had everyone in the top half of the cage with nothing in it but a bed, food, water and litterbox while i was putting bedding in the bottom half. I cover the ramps as well.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »
The original post is not very clear - where exactly is this dangerous spot that toes are getting caught?  Sometimes I don't cover my shelves, but I went and looked at the CN just now and don't see any place where the kids' toes could get caught... so just curious what I'm missing so I can keep an eye out and make sure it's safe.

I'm in the same boat as you. The original post was pretty unclear and was hard to understand.

I always cover my shelves and ladders.

Whomever it was in the original post who mentioned that they should contact Midwest to change the shelves to plastic....goodness I hope not. I just remember how gross and terrible the Feisty Ferret shelves were  :confused:.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
sorry it was so unclear. You all understand what happened though right? I was going to just post the link to the forum where posted but you have to be a member to read posts. I will try to fix it so it is a little more clear.

At least you all care though I was told this on another forum

"Its true that many people will not care about things until those things directly affect them. Human nature most times, so just lay off a bit and try to understand not everyone is going to care as much as you do."

My reply:
"Lay off a bit huh? I try to prevent HORRIBLE things from happening and THIS is the response I get?!?! Then those people deserve to watch their ferret get injured and or die if that is how you and they feel!!! I AM ONLY TRYING TO HELP PREVENT AN UN NECESSARY INJURY OR EVEN DEATH!!!!

Wow I am officially withdrawing myself from this forum since this is the kind of appreciation I get!!! "

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »
I reread the original post and I understand a bit more.

However, I don't have ferrets...so I don't see a concern for myself. I have been using the FN/CN for rats for a while now and have never had an issue. I think the most dangerous thing about these cages for rats is the doors...I almost closed Jack and Tucker in the doors the other night before bed because I was really tired. Luckily, nothing bad happened. I have 3 shelves in the FN right now because Spartan is old and need less incline on the ramp....so with 3 shelves and 5 rats it is hard to tell who's trying to escape!

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »
The gap is pefectly sized for rat legs and feet. It goes all around the entire shelf on all four sides so that is my concern for ratty owners. Just makes me worried they might get stuck and freak out and get even worse stuck and then be stuck while someone isn't home and they end up chewing a leg off to set themvles free. Or the freak or and bite really bad when you are trying to set them free. I am going back right now and edited to the post to make it a bit more clear. I can't do it on the forum though because the edited thing is dumb and won't let me copy and paste something from the bottom of the post it just shoots back up to the top and it is really annoying.

The important thing to remember is "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Ben Franklin

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:08 AM »
The gap is pefectly sized for rat legs and feet. It goes all around the entire shelf on all four sides so that is my concern for ratty owners. Just makes me worried they might get stuck and freak out and get even worse stuck and then be stuck while someone isn't home and they end up chewing a leg off to set themvles free. Or the freak or and bite really bad when you are trying to set them free.

The important thing to remember is "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Ben Franklin

I just went and looked at my shelves (they are covered) and I can only see a space in the back where my rats could possibly get their heads stuck. I've been using the FN for over a year and I have had no issues with the shelves. I don't see a space where legs can get caught. I have also never heard of a rat dying from the shelves, just the doors being closed on them.

To be honest, any cage can potentially be dangerous for rats. Rats can even get their heads/shoulders stuck in the 1" bar spacing if they tried to get out. I've seen the base of my biggest boy's tail get stuck in 1/2" bar spacing before.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
Re: *edited for clarity* NEW Ferret/Critter Nation Shelves=DANGEROUS
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »
I have had the FN cage for 2 years and have been cleaning the cage like I have with them in it while bare and nothing has ever happened until 2 days ago. I am just trying to make people aware of what can happen if the shelves are not covered. I only said the feet and legs or rats may get stuck if not covered. I edited the first post, does it sound better now?

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:37:38 AM »
I have had the FN cage for 2 years and have been cleaning the cage like I have with them in it while bare and nothing has ever happened until 2 days ago. I am just trying to make people aware of what can happen if the shelves are not covered. I only said the feet and legs or rats may get stuck if not covered. I edited the first post, does it sound better now?

I do understand a bit more now that you typed the above. So, the message is to always coveryou're FN/CN shelves. Correct? Then only real danger is uncovered shelves.

I honestly do not see why rat people wouldn't cover the FN shelves all the time, anyway. I can't help but think of all the pee/crumbs/poo/hair collecting causing an unsanitary cage. I have seen pictures of it on this forum. I can see how a rat can get a toe caught in the wiring somehow, too.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:35 AM »
EXACTY! the message, I'm glad you understand and I hope the others to too.  :rattysmiley: I have only seen 1 person on this forum who does not cover their FN or CN shelves (can't remember which one) Some people prefer to just wipe their shelves down daily instead of use covers because they have chewers. Hopefully Midwest will fix the solution to where if people want to do that they can safely.

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 07:11:16 AM »
my girl Lily got her head stuck between the bars of the cage and slip off of the shelf. If I hadn't been home,  she would had hung herself. I love this cage for it's size but you really need to comform it for the rats.
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »
Sorry, but I'm totally confused here, could somebody take a picture of the danger area?  :help:
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »
For rats I am not sure of the danger area of getting their head stuck since I only have Ferrets in the Ferret Nation however there is a gap all around the shelf where the rats can get their legs/feet caught between the plastic and the metal.

Offline Macie_and_Emma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
For rats I am not sure of the danger area of getting their head stuck since I only have Ferrets in the Ferret Nation however there is a gap all around the shelf where the rats can get their legs/feet caught between the plastic and the metal.

My CN does not have that gap I don't think.  It has a few teensy holes where the ladder fits in, but they'd really have to be doing some crazy moves to get a toe stuck in there.  Otherwise all the spacing is safe on my CN, as far as I can tell.  Maybe pictures would illustrate better.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
CN shelves do have the gap. I will try to get pictures.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
either way just keep the shelves covered and then you don't have to worry thats the point of the post.  :)

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but I've witnessed how the gaps at the back of the CN shelves can be dangerous.

A few days ago my handicapped girl Bella (very, very limited use of back legs) was on the shelf near the back. I was cleaning up around the cage, and she was investigating what I was doing. She tried to turn, and fell into the gap. She's on the small side, and fell into about to her chest. I had to wiggle her out. If she had managed to fall in to that gap and been able bodied, she probably would have seriously injured herself trying to get free. So for those with handicapped ratties in a CN/FN, especially paralized/HLD, keep a tunnel or something in that area to cover the gap. I normally do, but that day I didn't.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Moo_Max_RATS

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~If you take the Plunge, be sure you can Swim~
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
I know this is old, but I once had my rat Cyclone stick his head down to the second level and almost get his head hit with the door! :eek: Lucky I was watching!  :shocked2:

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »
EXACTY! the message, I'm glad you understand and I hope the others to too.  :rattysmiley: I have only seen 1 person on this forum who does not cover their FN or CN shelves (can't remember which one) Some people prefer to just wipe their shelves down daily instead of use covers because they have chewers. Hopefully Midwest will fix the solution to where if people want to do that they can safely.
If you're referring to me, that's exactly why!  I recently tried fleece, in 24 hours there were TONS of giant holes (entrances,exits, etc, it looked like a wild rats burrow lol).  It kills me not being able to use covers, but it doesn't lead to unsanitary conditions.  I actually probably overclean because it's so easy to wipe everything down.  I'm trying to think of what to do about the gap.  I'm not just worried about the gap on the shelf itself, but the gap between the cage and the shelf always bugged me.  None of my rats were as adamant as Docilady's rats about getting in there, but mine have tried to use it as a shortcut unsuccessfully.  I've been trying to think of something to fix that.  Maybe plexiglass over the entire shelf completely touching the edge of the cage?  I'll put some thought into it, and post pics when I get a solution.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.