Author Topic: Quiet water bottles?  (Read 10723 times)

Offline Bryanna

• Posts Too Much!
Quiet water bottles?
« on: July 05, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »
Does anyone know of a small animal water bottle that's relatively quiet? My rats are in my room, so anytime they start drinking in the middle of the night it wakes me up (they are very enthusiastic drinkers)

I've tried every water bottle they sell at petsmart and petco but they all make so much noise.
8 ratties- Jack Bella, Mae, Molly, Leah, Ashlan, Tory. RIP Casper & Duckie

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: Quiet water bottles?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
I only use the water bottles with the little balls that click and make all kinds of noise, but some people use water bottles with the spring instead of the ball. I don't use these because I am always worried that my rats won't be able to figure them out and will end up not drinking out of them, and the noise of the water bottles doesn't bother me, but some people do get their rats to use the spring ended bottles and are fine with them. I wouldn't take out the bottles with the ball until you're certain that they understand and are able to use the spring ones without any trouble.

A lot of people also use the Water Buddy and haven't had any trouble, though since Edstrom has stopped making them, I don't know if any online retailers would still have any still in stock to order. That's another water bottle that sounded like a good idea, but that I was always too chicken to try out for fear of my own rats not understanding how to use it.

Offline Bryanna

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »
Thanks.

I was planning on just moving the bottle they have now to a different level untill they got used to the new one.
8 ratties- Jack Bella, Mae, Molly, Leah, Ashlan, Tory. RIP Casper & Duckie

Offline misslasagna

• Posts Too Much!
  • Peace. Love. Vegetarian.
    • Tumbleweed Rattery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 09:35:49 PM »
I love bottles that make noise. When they get louder I can hear it from the other room and know that it has been emptied.
Also, I've found that ONE of my rats has figured out to drink silently... ::)

Offline Tubagirl90

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:59:12 AM »
As much as I can't stand the noise, there was a time when I didn't have rats (only a few months  ::) ) , and I wasn't able to go to sleep because I got so used to having noise in my room!!
Now, I can't sleep unless the fan is on, or I can hear my boys moving around!
I kind of find it soothing!!  :P

Anyways, I suppose it would be nice if there was a quieter water bottle!!

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
I just recently go them that glass bottle that's flat on one end and hooks on the cage with a plastic lever-like piece. I find that it's a little quieter than the plastic bottles I've used in the past, but it still makes some noise.

Offline TheEnderles

• The Mold Man. Fuzzy Black Stuff is Da Enemy
    • MoldBuster. Mold Remediation, Structural Drying
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Does anyone know of a small animal water bottle that's relatively quiet? My rats are in my room, so anytime they start drinking in the middle of the night it wakes me up (they are very enthusiastic drinkers)

I've tried every water bottle they sell at petsmart and petco but they all make so much noise.

Water bowl. You'll need to clean/change it daily. Also a convenient place to put peas. Just make sure it is on a top level so it doesn't become a target. You could get a bunch of bowls and keep a bottle of clean water next to the cage. If they are changed daily, they don't need to be large. Morning time, fill new bowl, exchange, toss old bowl in dishwasher. Don't drink remainder.  :eek: :P :-X 
Penelope, Caroline, Pear, Pumpkin.

Sweet Lucy. 2007-2009. Sweet Tina. 2007-2009 RIP.

Offline Eshie

• I watch the sky for the TARDIS
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »
I wouldn't suggest water bowl, because I've seen my boys pee into their food bowl, even when I've just put food into it  :doh:

I don't know how bad it is for rats to injest their own urine, but I'm sure it can't be good.
~For the love of Rats!

Offline Spiffy

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »
I buy these; there's no sound, as it's a different kind of valve (it's like a little metal joystick that they push with their tongues), and my girls haven't had a problem figuring it out. It's also a flip-top, which i love.  :thumbsup2:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752723

Offline arfletcher

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
the fuller my bottles are the quieter they are... I fill them obsesivly!

Offline WeepsNSqueaks

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
I have to be honest the sound of a noisy water bottle gets on my nerves.  :-\ So I tried this one from petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752723&lmdn=Small+Pet and it works very well. I have one for my rats as well as my pigs. I just refil the bottles in the morning and dont have to worry about when/if they get empty. It is now my favorite water bottle  :BlueDumboSmileTongue: