Author Topic: modifying a bird cage to a rat cage! need ideas.  (Read 804 times)

Offline 666pluto

modifying a bird cage to a rat cage! need ideas.
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »
Sorry for opening a new thread on the same page, but the subject is a little different, so i prefer a fresh start :-).
I bought this second hand cage today:

It's 30" long, 17" wide & 19" tall. i know it's not a very big cage, but I plan to place the rats in it only for a month or two, until i build a new one. they are babies, so it won't be a big problem for them i think.

I want to modify the cage a bit, by adding floors. problem is, I'm lacking ideas of how many floors to make, and which materials to make them from? also, should i make shelves who cover only half of the cage from each side, or should i make a full floor with wholes in it so the rats can move around trough? If anyone has experience or own ideas of how to make this cage better, please share with me :-).

Offline Pot Pie

Re: modifying a bird cage to a rat cage! need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
As far as half or whole shelves, I think a little of both would be your best bet. If you use only half-shelves, your rats have quite a fall if they should fall from the top shelf; if you use only whole shelves, your rats won't be able to climb the walls much.

I've never actually made a cage, but I've heard of people using plexiglass or even just sturdy hammocks. I would also imagine shelving unit supplies (the ones that you stick together and people make guinea pig cages out of) would work decently, as long as they're covered  :)